Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shorter Working Week to be announced? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Awful idea. Unless they bumped up the minimum wage as well. That's a day's less pay.
    That's basically the point isn't it? I don't see them increasing the minimum wage - the reasoning behind a 4 day working week would be to effectively allow employers to give everyone a 20% pay cut and therefore hopefully decrease real wage unemployment (unemployment that is caused by the wage rate being unnaturally high, meaning that employers cannot afford to hire staff)

20% does seem a bit steep though - would have a fairly disasterous impact upon consumption I would have thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So how do sunday trading laws work then...?
    Throwback to a time of much greater integration of church and state that is mostly now eroded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Surely if you love holidays it'll be great, increase the number of days off and the money will follow.
    If you're good with money and make certain lifestyle choices you could easily go down to a 4 day week. In this consumer driven culture people buy things they don't need with money they don't have and end up having to work all week to cover credit card repayments.... the way they want it to be.

The ruling elite who have created this human farm don't want people to have more time to themselves, more time with their families because they might realise how badly they're getting ****ed

ReputationRep:
    God created the universe in six days and only took one day off, so why do people feel the need to have a 3 day weekend after stacking shelves at a ****ty supermarket for 4 days a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    God created the universe in six days and only took one day off, so why do people feel the need to have a 3 day weekend after stacking shelves at a ****ty supermarket for 4 days a week?

why do you feel the need to demand that people work 6 days a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRevolution)
    I've noticed in a couple of places you making threads more political then they were intended
    In this case it was meant as a lighthearted comment, but I do have a soft spot for politics

ReputationRep:
    I always used to think when we were at school that if we just did an extra hour each day and got rid of the stupid patheticly long lunch breaks (an hour and three quarters, I mean, why!) we'd be able to have an extra day off per week, haha. I'd love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRevolution)
    UN Summit in Istanbul this April pledges to discuss the British request to shorten the working week from five days to four. The phrase TGIF will have amazing force once again.

If this was true would you intelligent lads support it?

Edit: This is not a troll
    I think it would be a good idea - modern western society is in my opinion, too concerned with working extremely hard and obtaining material things (which in rich countries we don't really need) - we'd probably all be a lot happier if we took it more easy. I mean an extra day off a week to see friends and have a good time is, for most people, likely to improve their wellbeing more than a little bit more income.

However never gna happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    why do you feel the need to demand that people work 6 days a week
    God created the universe in 6 days. How can any human's job be even as hard as His work? There's no excuse not to work at least 6 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    3 day weekend = :sogood:
    Of course, not being well informed about much of anything I have no idea whether this would feasibly work or not :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If our working week went down to 4 days I'd rather take Monday off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    That's basically the point isn't it? I don't see them increasing the minimum wage - the reasoning behind a 4 day working week would be to effectively allow employers to give everyone a 20% pay cut and therefore hopefully decrease real wage unemployment (unemployment that is caused by the wage rate being unnaturally high, meaning that employers cannot afford to hire staff)
    Hundreds of thousands of people in the UK are barely earning £200 a week because the minimum wage is so ridiculously low, you can barely live on minimum wage. Cut the working week down to 32 hours and that leaves them with only £160 a week to pay for rent, council tax and living expenses.

So people who might have worked hard for 50 hours a week will have their income greatly reduced, no money, and an extra 20 hours a week with nothing to do. Seems like a bit of a scummy political tactic to reduce the unemployment statistic on paper at the cost of the living standards of the nations workforce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Throwback to a time of much greater integration of church and state that is mostly now eroded.
    Right, right.

How about Bank Holidays then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Right, right.

How about Bank Holidays then?
    Simple, employers do not have to give you bank holidays off as a right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixxxxxx1)
    Don't think its a good idea. My Dad said once that everyone used to have a half day one day a week....I think it was a Wednesday.
    He wants that brought back! Very different world we live in now though.
    Wednesday was traditionally half-day closing, yes. In market towns in the North East it is still somewhat common. My local town has several shops that close on a Wednesday afternoon for half-day closing and honestly it is a nightmare. Hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fist)
    So you're suggesting people should spend 14 hours a day at work? Yeah, I'm sure single parents will appreciate choosing between starting work early so they can come home and look after their children or taking their children to school and finish working at 11pm :rolleyes:
    Did you learn to read or count during your education?

Where is 14 hours mentioned? Notice that it only tends to work for some people or some industries as stated. If you have circumstances that make you unable to work that pattern... then don't take a job with that shift pattern.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.