Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS level D in the subject you want to do a degree in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    She is applying to York St. John. Why do you say that it's not a real university? She said she really liked the university and the course which I think is the most important thing
    Oh the uni & the history faculty are great tbh. My opinions have been coloured by my housemate's in my first year who were there when I actually wasn't a proper uni, had I not resat a year I believe my degree would have been verified (or something) by Leeds Uni.

ReputationRep:
    i know it's a different subject but I got a D at AS level chemistry and applied to do Chemical Engineering with a prediction of a B at A2 and got 3 offers last year so HOPEFULLY she'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My best friend got a D at AS level in History, and has always wanted to do a degree in it so hasn't let this put her off. She's planning to resit one of the exams (/modules? idk) in January to improve her grade.
    She has applied to some good universities, such as Leicester and Lancaster, but I'm worried because they have quite high grade requirements for history as it's a really competitive course. I know it's her decision, but I feel like I'd be partially responsible, as her best friend, for not advising her against this should she get rejections. Her AS grades are ABDDD, with the AB in the other 2 subjects she has carried on with.
    I am in no way saying that a D is a terrible grade but fear that she stands a small chance against other applicants with say an A in history, considering how hard it is to get a place these days. She hasn't mentioned anything about her grade/intention to resit on the personal statement, and has focussed on her interest in historical literature and plans to go into primary teaching.
    I have heard that, as a general rule, you shouldn't apply for a course if you haven't already met the standard offer they make...is this true? And if so, should I say anything to her or let her make her own decision? She doesn't seem phased by her grade, and I wouldn't want to upset her by suggesting she's not good enough for the universities that she really wants to go to (I really think she is capable of improving in the resit.)
    So my question is, is it normal for people to apply for a degree in a subject that they have underperformed in, and will she be given equal consideration?

Thank you for reading and sorry it's a bit lengthy!
    I got a D in AS Geography (ABCD overall), which is what I now study at a top-20 uni. I applied anyway, just for the hell of it (definitely not expecting any offers) - to Lancaster and Leicester, as well as Loughborough, York and Aberystwyth. I got offers from all five; four from well-respected 1994 group unis. And I was the first person in my year at a prestigious grammar school to do so. So it's definitely do-able (or it was) to get offers from excellent universities with a D.

I re-sat some modules and brought my AS grade up to a B; which allowed me to meet the ABB offer of my first choice. So it's also do-able from that respect. Granted, it's more difficult to get into uni now than it was when I applied. But if your friend can bring her grade up to a B, she can re-apply next year anyway - even if she gets no offers this year. And if her personal statement is good and her other subjects up to scratch, I reckon she'd be almost guaranteed a place at a respectable uni.

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I got a D at AS for English and I wanted to study it as a degree. I persuaded my teacher to predict me an A (tell them that they NEED the predicted grade) and wrote a pretty good PS. My teacher's statement about me went on about how hard I worked and how this can be proven by the fact that I was re-taking.

(As a matter of fact I re-took all of my AS's because they were all quite bad and all of the courses I applied too were ABB and above - English is VERY competitive)

I applied to Lancaster, Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham and Warwick. I got four out of my five offers (I withdrew from Warwick because I got bored of waiting haha, even though I doubt I would have got in to be honest!)

Anywayyyyy I worked bloody hard and got my grades (including my A in English). If you have the determination, it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    I got a D in AS Geography (ABCD overall), which is what I now study at a top-20 uni. I applied anyway, just for the hell of it (definitely not expecting any offers) - to Lancaster and Leicester, as well as Loughborough, York and Aberystwyth. I got offers from all five; four from well-respected 1994 group unis. And I was the first person in my year at a prestigious grammar school to do so. So it's definitely do-able (or it was) to get offers from excellent universities with a D.

I re-sat some modules and brought my AS grade up to a B; which allowed me to meet the ABB offer of my first choice. So it's also do-able from that respect. Granted, it's more difficult to get into uni now than it was when I applied. But if your friend can bring her grade up to a B, she can re-apply next year anyway - even if she gets no offers this year. And if her personal statement is good and her other subjects up to scratch, I reckon she'd be almost guaranteed a place at a respectable uni.

hope that helps
    Geography is generally not competitive at all outside of Oxbridge. The OP is applying for History, which is not good if you get a D unless you are happy with somewhere like York St John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    Geography is generally not competitive at all outside of Oxbridge. The OP is applying for History, which is not good if you get a D unless you are happy with somewhere like York St John.
    Well yeah, but I reckon it's the same principle.

i.e., if you've f***ed up your AS levels, it's not beyond redemption. It's still very do-able with a bit of hard work (in most subjects I'd imagine) to bring the grades up. Maybe OP's friend won't get any offers this time round, but if she does bring her grades up for her A-levels she shouldn't have any problem reapplying next year and getting offers from good universities.

ReputationRep:
    well D is a **** grade, she clearly is too **** to get in, or she doesn't put in the effort, ergo she reall doesn't like it. Tell her to step it up and go work as a binwomanting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.