Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    And you do realise that the very cost of your proposal makes this idea unworkable.

It is just a dumb idea.
    Shelters for smokers won't break the bank.

ReputationRep:
    No, just no Margaret...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP. I say just ban smoking completely, though I don't see that ever happening.

ReputationRep:
    Well even though I don't smoke I stand outside with my mates who do smoke, it's my choice to do so...I always have the option to stay inside but why be so anti-social :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Shelters for smokers won't break the bank.
    You must be kidding.

You are building shelters 10 minutes away from each other to house several million people a day.

ReputationRep:
    As a non-smoker I can't ever remember being bothered by someone smoking on the street.

Don't think it'll be too long before smokers become such social pariahs, they only go out to work and to buy essentials. :rolleyes:

Fourth hand smoke is now a health hazard now.

ReputationRep:
    Go home!

And this is coming from a non smoker.

ReputationRep:
    You must be kidding.

You are building shelters 10 minutes away from each other to house several million people a day.
    Not all at the same time.

And we built bus shelters in that sort of capacity. That didn't destroy the economy...

ReputationRep:
    Smoking shelters? Every 10 minutes? UK wide? You. Are. A. Fool.
    And your proposal is absurd,like a G6.

ReputationRep:

And we built bus shelters in that sort of capacity. That didn't destroy the economy...
    I think getting the bus to somewhere you need to be is a bit more important than not wishing to smell like a commoner though, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAMMUT)
    Smoking shelters? Every 10 minutes? UK wide? You. Are. A. Fool.
    And your proposal is absurd,like a G6.
    Obviously wouldn't apply to rural areas - more towns and cities.

ReputationRep:

No, bus shelters have been and are being sustained through people paying bus fares. Furthermore, investing in transport links have a long term positive impact on the economy as long as they are managed properly.

Building smoking shelters does not have such an effect.

If you want such a shelter, then get others such as yourself to pay for the shelters.

ReputationRep:
    These shelters would be covered, and the side facing the street would have a screen - much like some bus shelters.

And who says they have to be directly where non-smokers are?
    And you would be happy to fund all these 10 minute shelters?

ReputationRep:
    No, bus shelters have been and are being sustained through people paying bus fares. Furthermore, investing in transport links have a long term positive impact on the economy as long as they are managed properly.

Building smoking shelters does not have such an effect.

If you want such a shelter, then get others such as yourself to pay for the shelters.
    Smoking shelters can be paid for by the VAT on cigarettes. Or just increase it.

ReputationRep:
    *Having a hard time believing that the incentive for implementing such a proposal would be concern for public health...*
    EMZ=/

ReputationRep:
    Why should non-smokers have to suffer from the nasty stench and the second-hand smoke that smokers produce, usually without concern for other people - so long as they can get a fix from their addiction?

I propose that smoking is banned from the streets.

However, to not make it so unfair on smokers - most places would have several smoking shelters - with one no more than 10 minutes walk from another. These would be covered areas where smoking would be permitted. A smoker could stop there, have a smoke and carry on walking - without affecting non-smokers.
    I agree with you. I know this is gonna give loads of negative rep but thats how TSR works: If you say something the others disagree with you get negative rep.

Anyway non-smokers shouldn't be suffering from the fact that smokers smoke and they don't do nothing. I just can't stand that smell of smoking and whenever I pass a smoker, I hold my breadth until I am at least 5 metres away from them. A study has also shown that passive smoking is even more harming than active smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    That's limiting one's freedom. Whatever next, a dress code?
    We don't let people go around punching other people or poisoning their drinks, but somehow filling our lungs with your tarry cyanide filth is perfectly acceptable. You shouldn't have the freedom to do that to everyone in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    And you would be happy to fund all these 10 minute shelters?
    Build smoking shelters + increase policing duties to ensuring noone smokes outside shelters, or Huge NHS costs in treating people with illnesses related to passive smoking, loss of output from people who die early from passive smoking, and overall unhealthier workforce.

I don't think cost is the issue here.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Obviously wouldn't apply to rural areas - more towns and cities.
    Obviously your suggestion IS FOOLISH.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.