Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Americans should stand up for Bradley Manning! Shame on your army! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Its a war zone. The people in the area will likely to have been told not to gather in large groups. THe crew thought they saw an RPG. This could have destroyed the helicopter and killed the pilots.

Your telling me if you think your life is in danger you would sit there and do nothing?
    Hypocrite.

You tell me I have no idea what it is like to be a soldier and here you are musing about what people are told in warzones and telling them how to behave.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by danny111)
    Hypocrite.

You tell me I have no idea what it is like to be a soldier and here you are musing about what people are told in warzones and telling them how to behave.
    Basing my point on various things I know about the military, interviews that I have seen with soldiers and the results of inquest's into events like these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Basing my point on various things I know about the military, interviews that I have seen with soldiers and the results of inquest's into events like these.
    And yet you have never lived in a warzone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Shot for their own benefit?

Yes, I've seen the video, and even I'd admit that from that distance it does appear that they are carrying weapons. In hindsight, we now know it to be a camera, but in looking at it on the video I'd have said they were potentially carrying weapons. It's a warzone -- you expect people to think "Oh, he's just carrying a camera"? I'd be paranoid about everyone, considering I was the enemy...

I mean, look at the part where they say "He's got an RPG" -- I know Saaed was probably trying 'cover journalism' or whatever, but from that angle, I can see why they think it's an RPG. Sure, they could have fired some warning shots, but why risk it? Why risk the chance that it might be an insurgent with an RPG who is more likely to pull the trigger and blow you out of the sky than jump with fear??

I'm not condoning their actions by any stretch of the imagination, I just think you need to put things into perspective. Yes, it was callous; yes, it was inhumane, but they're in a warzone where insurgents are trying to kill them. You don't have time to think things over; you don't have time to weigh up the right and wrong; and you probably don't have time to do things in a way that doesn't make you seem like a heartless killing machine.

Yes, they're in the wrong, but you can easily call 'self-defence in error'. In hindsight -- wrong; at the time -- they were just trying to save their asses from a potential death...
    War zone. It's a place where people, including kids live. People. That's why these videos are so vital, to expose the phoney nature of the war. Imagine your streets having a trigger happy guy in a helicopter who would shoot you down in a second. And then be so willing to say this is a war zone and defend what should not be defended. There were kids in that van for gods sake.

The whole war is a sham, just like the countless wars that proceeded it. Don't defend the actions of murders who should not even be near the homes of those they are slaughtering.

Harsh as it sounds, that's the simple truth. How anyone can really justify the current wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, and probably still Iraq, is beyond belief. Just like the Americans went around bombing Vietnam, imposing puppet leaders around nations in the world, funding countless swarms of violent groups all for their own benefit. Yet here we have people who would actually defend the actions of people who shouldn't even be there. In the future we'll look back just like Vietnam and see what a shambles it all was.

The difference is back in Nam there was media exposure and the public knew what was going on. Clearly lessons were learnt and now the only reports we get are of the deaths of the US, UK etc and how the next big push for 'freedom' will start. This is why whistleblowers who show us the real 'war' are so important. I put the war in quotation as it's really a bully going around killing an enemy with little power to defend themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I bet this is just one out of hundreds of such videos. I bet quite a lot of American soldiers enjoy killing innocent people. There are hundreds of reports (pretty much unknown in English-speaking media) of American soldiers torturing and murdering civilians for fun.
    They're there not to protect their country, but to enforce "democracy and security", which comes down to American imperialism. It's their jobs and there is nothing noble about them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.