Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Final Fantasy is the Best and Why - Poll Watch

• View Poll Results: Which Final Fantasy is the best?
    Final Fantasy I
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy II
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy III
    0%
    Final Fantasy IV
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy V
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy VI
    5.00%
    Final Fantasy VII
    37.00%
    Final Fantasy VIII
    16.00%
    Final Fantasy IX
    11.00%
    Final Fantasy X & X-2
    20.00%
    Final Fantasy XI
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy XII
    2.00%
    Final Fantasy XIII
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy XIV
    0%
    Can't decide, they are all amazing!
    3.00%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    In terms of characters IX, in terms of cutscenes & music VIII, in terms of storyline X, in terms of gameplay XII. I miss playing them -- perhaps I'll restart VIII or XII when I get home over Christmas. :^_^:
    Really? I found XII to be intensely frustrating. I mean the graphics and the story sequences were very good, however I found the combat system to be really bad. You could progress through the game without barely doing anything and just watching the AI fight. It didn't do it for me :erm:

However I thoroughly enjoyed the quickening and such which reminded me of FFX
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Yes yes YES!!!

FFX and X-2 were by far the best. Yuna, Tidus, Rikku, Paine, the Aeons, Lord Seymour, Wakka, Kimahri, Lulu and who could forget...

Auron!!!

Now that is a MAN! :adore:
    Yo sango bro. Glad to see your thinking right, FFX was the best!

Tidus and Blitzball :adore: ^ Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely 7, it was incredible!

Final Fantasy isn't my kind of game, i'm not really into that style of game/magazines/films or whatever else.
    But FF7 is without a doubt one of the best games i've ever played in my life, I was pretty young when it came out but I loved it, and within the last year or so I stumbled across it in my room, it worked in my PS3 so I played it again, and loved it just as much!
    The graphics didn't even bother me, it was still really fun.
    The story and characters are brilliant.
    I love it.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a contest VII is clearly the superior choice the plot, characters and music are all better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    Yeahh.

I forget to mention, beautiful music as well:

Ahh.

I would also like to add the epicness of many of the cutscenes to my love for this game. You've got me all nostalgic now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    Ahh.

I would also like to add the epicness of many of the cutscenes to my love for this game. You've got me all nostalgic now.
    The music was phenomenal, the Character design and characters were amazing, the stunning graphics of its time and the integration of speech (for the first time) and the overall feel of the game was epic. All in all, it had an amazing battle system and really involved the players. Very nostalgic. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    VII is still my favourite, although all of PS games I could go back to practically anytime, including Tactics, which I really really enjoyed.

I finished XIII not long ago, but it doesn't have the same magic somehow - maybe it's just because I'm older? I'm not really sure, but the same thing happened with XII, and I never actually finished that one.

Xenosaga is my absolute favourite RPG, though

ReputationRep:
    VII- possibly due to bias of it being the first one I played. IX and V are close behind!
    XI and X-2 are the only ones I have no interest in ever playing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i really like ffvii, ffiv, and ffxiii but i voted vii cos its just classic and unique. although iv is the toughest and xiii is the very unique and fun!

ReputationRep:
    I went for 7. But I meant to click 8, I got confused by the Roman numerals. 9 was the first one I played when I was recovering from an operation, it's pretty special.

To my eternal shame, I've never actually managed to complete any of them. Or any other game at all actually. I suck at gaming in general. But I do love FF, as far as I get with them.

ReputationRep:
    I have to be cliched and say VII. I know its repuation has taken a battering due to the fanboy culture its spawned, but it was the first serious game i ever played after years of playing Mario on my sister's NES and Worms on my PS1. When I saw there were three discs, I thought it was 3 different games! It just has the nostalgic feeling to it that ill never forget. I can play through it today and still get taken back to 1997-98 as a 6 year old playing it for the first time. Not to mention the plot is excellent, graphics charming and music probably Uematsu's peak. I hold FFVIII and FFX in exactly the same regard - I played them as a kid, and thus associate them with all the happy memories I had back then. Only recently played IV, V, VI and IX, and they're all superb. Like I said though, no matter how good they are, it would impossible for them to match the nostalgia of VII.

ReputationRep:
    It’s a tossup between VI and IX, but I’m going to go with VI, because of the Veldt theme. I like to manically pelvic thrust to its rhythmic beats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Really? I found XII to be intensely frustrating. I mean the graphics and the story sequences were very good, however I found the combat system to be really bad. You could progress through the game without barely doing anything and just watching the AI fight. It didn't do it for me :erm:

However I thoroughly enjoyed the quickening and such which reminded me of FFX
    I suppose, if I overlook how underlevelled it left me, the lack of random encounters and the ability to switch to Active mode was a welcome addition. Some days I just wasn't in the mood to run for an hour through the same area fighting the same old spawns (Gagazet and its Grenades and Grats :mad: ) , and imagine doing the Leviathan if all those guards were random encounters -- it'd take you forever.

ReputationRep:
    FF6 easily for me.

It had my fav music from the FF games (Terra's theme, opera theme, searching for friends....and more).

It has my fav story from the FF games

my fav villain (Kefka FTW!!!!!!)

Oh what an epic game it was....no RPG has surpassed FF6 in my opinion.

The other two FF games I really love are FFX and FFXIII

FF6 > FF10 > FF13 > FF4 > FF7 > FF8 > FF9 >>>>> FF12 (the only mediocre FF game for me)

I voted for FFXIII in the poll though...just because I knew many won't lol

ReputationRep:
    I have played 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and i'll pick up 12 one of these days. haha, lost faith in the series after 10.

I hear 6 is often mentioned being the greatest FF, but I played it recently and don't think its aged well. It's not even half as playable or deep as the later 3D games.
    Always considered 7 as the best of the bunch. the story, the music, the bosses, the summons, the materia system, the ultimate weapons, the limit breaks, the Golden Saucer, Cait Sith the spy, Aeris death :cry2: I could go on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darthdevidem)
    FF6 easily for me.

It had my fav music from the FF games (Terra's theme, opera theme, searching for friends....and more).

It has my fav story from the FF games

my fav villain (Kefka FTW!!!!!!)

Oh what an epic game it was....no RPG has surpassed FF6 in my opinion.

The other two FF games I really love are FFX and FFXIII

FF6 > FF10 > FF13 > FF4 > FF7 > FF8 > FF9 >>>>> FF12 (the only mediocre FF game for me)

I voted for FFXIII in the poll though...just because I knew many won't lol
    I wholly agree FFX and FFXIII were amazing. And agree with FFXII being right at the bottom ¬_¬ (the only FF game I have played from VI which I have not completed)

Loving the Lightning sig btw
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    I suppose, if I overlook how underlevelled it left me, the lack of random encounters and the ability to switch to Active mode was a welcome addition. Some days I just wasn't in the mood to run for an hour through the same area fighting the same old spawns (Gagazet and its Grenades and Grats :mad: ) , and imagine doing the Leviathan if all those guards were random encounters -- it'd take you forever.
    Haha true. That problem could have easily been settled though... by the producers not putting so many damn spawns and encounters in :mad:

I felt the game was just too much. I could either get bored playing, or get bored watching the computer play it :laugh:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    VII. It's just amazing, and pretty much iconic as far as games go.

Loathed X. No one warned me they had introduced voice actors before I started playing it... having my ear canal assaulted by Tidus' whiny American voice was not a pleasant surprise.
    :O from a person who liked The Girl Who Lept Through Time, I would have thought the story and characters in FF X would have been perfect. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The music, the character development, the twists, the secret endings, the multi-play through, the blitzball and the graphics (and voice acting :p: ) I found to be very good.

ReputationRep:
    Final Fantasy VII first game I actually completed amazing soundtrack decent story and possibly the best badass super villain ever Sephiroth.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the first few were like :daydream:
    Was there an XI? I always thought it went straight from X-2 to XII.
    Awwwww, XII has no love, I really like that one
    I need to play VIII + IX, but they can be so difficult to get hold of :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.