Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is There Any Point In Sex? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoTeach!?)
    Science is advancing, and with human cloning on the way, do people really need to "get it on"? Personally there are no advantages to paticipating in sexual intercourse. I do not understand young people these days, with their obsession with this activity! Back in my day we got kicks from learning about simple facts of life. Now, as a Professor of Philosophy, i teach these facts to younger people. One of these facts is that sex is pointless. It's so pointless, I haven't touched my wife in 10 years due to my strong beliefs. She understands and we have a very loving relationship and now she is beginning to believe that underage sex, STI's, HIV, rape and all other subjects related to sex will stop if we eradicate sex completely. I suggest the removal of the penis and testicles at birth, or other medical ways.

Does anyone think that there is any point in sex?
    Your wife is getting it from another source.

ReputationRep:
    Professor :/ you sure your wife isn't doing anything behind your back =O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    ...it's fun...

EDIT: And removing penis at birth won't stop sex, what about lesbians?

I lol'd so much at that half glass thing. :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Clearly a horny teenager, bitter that he's not getting any.
    I am a man comfortable with the fact that i do not need sex to brighten my day. Men tend to relate sexual activity with masculinity and this is another reason why sex should be stopped! Life is not a competition on "who can lay the most girls"! Too many problems are caused by sex. I look at it this way - If your front door had problems opening, an easy way to solve it is to get a new one, although this may be a more drastic way compared to just getting someone to fix it. We need to replace sex "the broken door" with a more effective means of reproduction so humanity does continue to exist without diseases like HIV. Cloning could be the future and could be the "new door" we have been waiting for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makubex)
    Professor :/ you sure your wife isn't doing anything behind your back =O
    Of course, giving me a loving back rub, for we can share pleasure from simple yet loving gestures such as back massages and romantic walks on the beach. She appreciates my intelligence as a professor and does not see any fault in my occupation. She would never break my trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EveCurwen1994)
    I lol'd so much at that half glass thing. :L
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    OP:
    I am a man comfortable with the fact that i do not need sex to brighten my day. Men tend to relate sexual activity with masculinity and this is another reason why sex should be stopped! Life is not a competition on "who can lay the most girls"! Too many problems are caused by sex. I look at it this way - If your front door had problems opening, an easy way to solve it is to get a new one, although this may be a more drastic way compared to just getting someone to fix it. We need to replace sex "the broken door" with a more effective means of reproduction so humanity does continue to exist without diseases like HIV. Cloning could be the future and could be the "new door" we have been waiting for.
    gotta be a troll... and if sex is pointless so is your statment...

sex brings couples closer together in ways, gives the creation of ofspring both a mother and a father. futher more; manufacturing children will simply remove there family identity. i highly doubt you love a TV or a plastic bag as much as a child.

Cloning has its own problems for a state i.e. genetic break downs. + other cellular deformation.

sex how ever also gives pleasure (as does learning). More so it allows nature to evolve over time. we adapt to our enviroment over generations as our dna changes. freezing our dna by cloning would eventually mean we are unable to exist in our ever changing enviroments. (as you compare sex to a broken door, i assume you will understand that...)

for somone proclaiming to be a professor and intellegent you have missed some fundemental points.

I agree sex can cause problems but that more because there is very little to do at the most common ages it happens. Simply put pressure on HMG to improve policy's to better equip communities for these people. improve education. Bringing back conscription would also help in my view.

ReputationRep:
    Nice troll.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I agree, that glass thing is awesome! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Not really pointless, as well firstly cloning would halt our evolution as well there's no random mixing (for lack of a better word) of our DNA, and if in cloning DNA is checked to make sure there arent any mutations in it, that as well will surely mean that our evolution will halt.

And on a purely: we are more than biological machines, we are sentient autonomous beings level. There is more to life than just (again for lack of a better word) functioning, and then reproducing so we can have another generation of people who's job it is to function and carry on this cycle. A hugely important part of life (in my opinion) is having fun, but even more importantly are the relationships we build upon the way, the people we love. Surely if you were a proffessor of philosophy you'd actually understand this point.

ReputationRep:
    Now, as a Professor of Philosophy, i teach these facts to younger people.
    I presume you aren't in to relativism them like many of your colleagues. Modern professors of philosophy believing in absolute truths, who'd have thought?

As far as I am aware, science has not advanced to the stage where conception rates through artificial means are anywhere near the same level as through natural procreation. That is why we see them as a 'last resort'. There's a medical reason for you. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper to 'get down with it' than to go for a course of IVF.

Of course, if you've found happiness without sex, good for you, but that's a lifestyle choice not a universal truth. For me like many thousands upon thousands of other people sex is an inextricable part of my emotional relationship with my partner. We both enjoy sex with each other, it brings us closer together and the level of intimacy we share doesn't allow us to build up so many emotional barriers that prevent us from resolving issues within the relationship. That is my view of the matter and I don't see why yours is any better, in fact I'm not advocating the mutilation of the entire male population as the only clear solution to STI's and teenage pregnancy.

So, in all, I'm suprised that you are abusing your postion (if you are indeed a professor of philosphy) to try and impose your beliefs on others rather than teaching them how to practice a high level of critical and independent thought, i.e. doing your job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alvrae)
    OP:

gotta be a troll... and if sex is pointless so is your statment...

sex brings couples closer together in ways, gives the creation of ofspring both a mother and a father.

Id surgest removing your head at birth, but it appears to have empied itself.

Cloning has its own problems for a state i.e. genetic break downs. + other cellular deformation.

sex how ever also gives pleasure (as does learning).

like anything in life, it should be done in moderation. you however seem to be a philasofical invalid...
    To begin with briefly,
    1. I am not a "troll" or what it is
    2. My statement is not pointless as it highlights problems which people avoid in day-to-day life.
    3. Sex isnt "the alpha and omega" of bringing couples together. People are so wrapped up with "sex creating bonds", but are these bonds only built on pleasure or by love? These things can be simultaneuosly felt doing other activities, non sex related.
    4. Your insults are pointless as it shows you can not control your emotions and feel like you need to insult me to put your point across.
    5. Abnormalities occur in normal reproduction, with mutations in genetic material causing issues and inherited conditions causing unstoppable problems which can be solved with cloning and selective DNA.
    6. It is philosophical, so how about you moderate your spelling? Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    ...it's fun...

EDIT: And removing penis at birth won't stop sex, what about lesbians?

omg lol but sooo true, it is fun and for those of you who thinks its wrong its educational
    :edit edit!! and basically as long as you use protection then i think you shouldn't just sleep round find some one you really love and then i think its fine. edit edit!!:

ReputationRep:
    These things can be simultaneuosly felt doing other activities, non sex related.
    Just because they can doesn't mean that they are in all cases or to the same extent. This argument does nothing to invalidate the idea that sexual intercourse provides these things either.

To be honest I can believe a philosophical scholar can make sure an obvious non sequitur as to state that because it is possible to get emotional fulfilment in a relationship from other sources makes sex pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    You made this thread because you're not getting any isn't it?
    me thinks you speak the truth in this one

ReputationRep:
    sex - it is a way of expressing feelings! Eradicating sex means that you are eradicating a mode of expression, which we acquired after many, many years of evolution!!

ReputationRep:
    Have they actually cloned a human yet?

Even if they have it's not like anyone who wants a child can just walk into a cloning center and be all like, one clone please. :rolleyes:

Then there is the problem that a clone isn't the same as a child, it's making a copy of an existing person.

Good luck with trying to get people to stop having sex though. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Science is advancing, and with human cloning on the way, do people really need to "get it on"? Personally there are no advantages to paticipating in sexual intercourse. I do not understand young people these days, with their obsession with this activity! Back in my day we got kicks from learning about simple facts of life. Now, as a Professor of Philosophy, i teach these facts to younger people. One of these facts is that sex is pointless. It's so pointless, I haven't touched my wife in 10 years due to my strong beliefs. She understands and we have a very loving relationship and now she is beginning to believe that underage sex, STI's, HIV, rape and all other subjects related to sex will stop if we eradicate sex completely. I suggest the removal of the penis and testicles at birth, or other medical ways.

Does anyone think that there is any point in sex?
    Your wife if getting about 20 somethings on the side, and is just patting your ego to make sure you don't bust in on her during one of her famous wine, cheese and orgy parties.

I'm sorry you had to hear this on a student forum.

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:

ReputationRep:
    More like Professor of Bull****.

Horrible idea. Communist idea!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.