Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would improve a coffee shop for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    More "skinny" options (made with skimmed milk) and low calorie options for all the dieters and eating disordered people out there
    Some low calorie/low fat cakes would be fab

ReputationRep:
    An age limit.

Nothing quite puts you off a nice hot drink and a good book/ having a chat than a screaming infant with cake and God knows what else smeared around their sticky mouths.
    Seriously, what's the point? There's nothing fun there for them to do. They're hardly going to drink coffee, and there are other cafes/ restaurants etc. more suited to them.

I also second the squishy chairs, cheaper drinks and better ambience.

ReputationRep:
    Cosy little armchairs for those who are on their own and want to read or work. I feel bad taking up a table for 2-4 when I'm on my own, but don't like those bars with stools they have.

And most of the things others have mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with whoever mentioned savoury food. Some plainer sandwiches than those you normally see would also be great for fussy eaters like me.

Oh and some sort of system whereby I don't have to drag my stuff back up to the counter if I'm doing some work to get another drink (yeah I don't want my stuff stolen- trust nobody haha)

ReputationRep:
    cleaner furniture, i find the tables are sticky all the time.

open till late. Naked baristas (female ones only :ninja:).

Cheaper prices or some sort of loyalty card thing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I agree that separate, specially designed smoking rooms should be allowed. I don't agree that cafes and pubs in general should be allowed to have smoking any more than they should be allowed to have indoor fireworks or a cyanide gas leak. They're public spaces and cigarette smoke is a proven risk to public health.
    Lol.. not quite to the same scale though, eh?

Above everything, its just an issue of freedom.

Also, I'll disagree with the point of pubs & cafes being 'public places' as such. The management always reserve the right to refuse entry and usually eject people they do not want on their property. Nobody is forced to enter the buildings either.

ReputationRep:
    Cosy atmosphere
    I don't really like coffee so lots of hot chocolate flavours! (you can get caramel, I really want to try it!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoppy77)
    Hi,

I am a business studies student and would like to carry out a bit of market research.

I have an idea for a coffee shop and before I do some more research I wanted to find out what would improve the whole 'experience' of buying and drinking at coffee shops. Such as lower price, more seats, other facilites and anything else you can think of.

Any replies would be really appreciated
    I absolutely love the idea of a coffee shop, but there are a few things about them which completely and utterly repell me into ever spending time in them.

1. They are SO DAMN NOISY. They do stupid things like putting all of the really loud coffee machines in the seating area. You can barely hear yourself think because of the hissing and clattering, as well as the crowds having to shout over these machines. TAKE THEM INTO THE BACK. Put them where we can't hear them!! Usually you come into a coffee shop to have a quiet sit down after the hustle of the streets.

2. Hard wooden tables and chairs. Nasty, uncomfortable and almost always stickey or wet. Staff seem to think that cleaning involves soaking the tables with dirty dish water. So you can't touch anything because it's all wet. Wooden chairs are uncomfortable and makes me feel like I'm in a cheap cafeteria.

3. They always fit too many chairs + people into the cafe, making it crowded and noisy. Puts me off completely. Space it out a bit. Get more sofas in. I want a leisurely peaceful drink, not a cafeteria experience.

Other improvements would include faster clearing of tables. I hate having to sit down and clear the **** off my own table that the previous customer left there.

Lower prices. Although, they can obviously sell at that price, but I feel like a gullable idiot paying £2 for a cup of tea.

15 minute free wi-fi. Randomise the password everyday and put stickers on the cups with the log-in details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pothead1)
    Lol.. not quite to the same scale though, eh?

Above everything, its just an issue of freedom.

Also, I'll disagree with the point of pubs & cafes being 'public places' as such. The management always reserve the right to refuse entry and usually eject people they do not want on their property. Nobody is forced to enter the buildings either.
    They're technically somewhere between public and private. By dint of applying for a licence, the publican/cafe owner is giving up some of his rights as a private owner. For example:

If I (was a racist and) wanted to stop a black man entering my house, I would be fully within my rights and couldn't be prosecuted.
    If I was a pub/club/bar/cafe/hotel/restaurant/shop owner and tried to pull the same stunt, I could be sued for discriminatory practice. It has happened many times before.

Another "duty" of publicans is to take all necessary and reasonable steps to protect anyone on the premises from physical harm. The government decided (correctly IMO) that knowingly allowing customers and staff to be exposed to toxic and carcinogenic cigarette fumes was covered by this. If certain customers wish to expose themselves to this risk thats up to them, but its the licence holder's responsibility for ensuring the safety of his other customers, and this includes exposure to cigarette smoke.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a cafe and we always had hundreds of customers in comparison with the local Starbucks and so on, mainly because we didn't play music, the wifi was free and our coffee was better. Other things people said they liked was that the seating was mainly big, comfy sofas, we brought the drinks over instead of people waiting for them, and we always had artwork up with you could then buy.

lol no drugs

ReputationRep:
      Open till late.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by doubledot)
      Also: Moroccan-themed cafes are awesome too. In a basement room with pillows and rugs scattered all over the floor, low tables and lit by those gorgeous glass lamps. The one I've been to not only served great coffee and leaf teas, but also alcoholic coffee (added shot of whiskey and whipped cream, anyone?) and really delicious Moroccan desserts.
      We're not in Morocco and we don't have the climate to match that idea.

ReputationRep:
      hash brownies
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      A choice of normal teas, rather than herbal/green - y'know, the choice between yorkshire tea and some other brands.

Also lower prices would be nice.

And if you really want something high tech, then the ability to order electronically - you go in, sit down, order using some interactive piece of technology then wait for someone to bring it over. The mechanics of this exactly I've not thought about, but damn I'd go to coffee shops more often if I new that would be how I could order!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
      I used to work in a cafe and we always had hundreds of customers in comparison with the local Starbucks and so on, mainly because we didn't play music, the wifi was free and our coffee was better. Other things people said they liked was that the seating was mainly big, comfy sofas, we brought the drinks over instead of people waiting for them, and we always had artwork up with you could then buy.

I always think wifi is overrated. How many people just happen to have a laptop on them when they go shopping?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by py0alb)
      An option have simply have "coffee", rather than all this cappucino/latte/machiato rubbish. A cup of filter coffee shouldn't be more than £1.50 absolute max. It winds me up no end when I go into a coffee shop and ask for "a coffee please" and they look at me blankly. It's a **** ing coffee shop isn't it?
      Having worked in a coffee shop, I absolutely hate people like you. Asking for a coffee in a coffee shop is like asking for "a DVD" in HMV or something similarly stupid. You know there are different varieties of coffee, stop being such a walloper and take time to decide which one you actually like instead of carrying on your dull mini-protest against consumer choice.

Most offer filter coffees or "black" coffees. The fresh milk is kept in the fridges, ya know, to keep it fresh.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ily_em)
      The option for a smaller drink. In Starbucks 'tall' is the smallest you can get and it's average sized, when sometimes I would like a small drink.
      Lol, it's not. It's just the smallest on the menu. If you ask for 'small' they'll give you 'tall', but smaller than tall is 'short', and it's not on the menu but does exist. You need to specifically say 'short'.

http://www.wisebread.com/going-short...bucks-worth-it
      http://www.nbcdfw.com/around-town/fo...-62468232.html

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
      Having worked in a coffee shop, I absolutely hate people like you. Asking for a coffee in a coffee shop is like asking for "a DVD" in HMV or something similarly stupid. You know there are different varieties of coffee, stop being such a walloper and take time to decide which one you actually like instead of carrying on your dull mini-protest against consumer choice.

Most offer filter coffees or "black" coffees. The fresh milk is kept in the fridges, ya know, to keep it fresh.
      Don't talk *******s. A cup of coffee is a specific item. Like the majority of customers, when I go into a coffee shop, I simply want a cup of black coffee, and I want to be offered fresh milk and sugar, which I am capable of adding myself. If I wanted a capuccino I would say "a capuccino please".

I would also like to be able to order my coffee in English, not **** ing Italian.

ReputationRep:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.