Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I have become racist towards coloured people Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReformatMe)
    Okay, so, my people- not this individual- have been described as diluted, and the OP has said that their "ingrained view" is that we are [sic] "loud, brash, stoners, attention seekers and just generally low lives", and you somehow don't think that's racist?

I'm not attacking the OP, I'm defending myself and my culture. We are the most diverse ethnic group in the world, and if the OP can pass judgement on us so easily then I dread to think what their views regarding less diverse ethnic groups are.

If I came on here and said the same about white people or black people, I'm not sure you'd all be reacting in the same way.
    Your not a race your a group of people another example the welsh a group of people from the same place and with similar if not same heritage not a race.

Cape coloured people are not a race onto their own so he cant be racist ?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganbrower)
    Your not a race your a group of people another example the welsh a group of people from the same place and with similar if not same heritage not a race.

Cape coloured people are not a race onto their own so he cant be racist ?
    :confused:
    OP said "There is this race from South Africa called Cape Coloureds and I think I have developed an element of racism towards them. Background to those who do not know cape coloured, they are basically mixed race people that have been diluted with various races over generations and generations. "

She said there is a race - presumably, they are a different race to the OP.

It's possible for different races to exist in the same place.

OP, I think it's slightly (okay, very) unjustified for you to use this person (who isn't the best example regardless of race) to confirm bad things you've heard about these people. Different races have their good and bad eggs. You can;t pigeon hole a whole race into some views.

ReputationRep:
    People often develop racism to people who they have had bad experienceslike if they were a mugged by a black person maybe you would become racist toward them. The fact that she's started this thread shows that maybe she doesn't want to feel like this which is a good sign. Obv all prejudices are illogical and saying that cape coloured people are low lifes or lazy and brash is definitely racist. You should just think of them as being a character trait of this person which could easily apply to a white lager lout etc and nothing to do with her being cape coloured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There is this race from South Africa called Cape Coloureds and I think I have developed an element of racism towards them. Background to those who do not know cape coloured, they are basically mixed race people that have been diluted with various races over generations and generations.

The reason I think I have developed an intense dislike for them is because we have this cape coloured house mate living with us. She is very inconsiderate towards everyone else, spends the whole time getting stoned in the house, if she isn't getting stoned she is cooking and never cleans after herself.
    She lies a lot and seems such a compulsive liar. When she first moved in she told the landlord she was working for a huge organisation but then it was a lie, the girl doesn't have a job but then through out the year has maintained that she works despite spending the day in her pj's, cooking and smoking weed. She often talks loud on the phone with the hope we can hear what she is talking about and can effectively back up the many lies she would have made up. She always steals other people's food but then lies about it.
    She often brings random men into the house and they spend up to 2 hours in her room, this is something we started noticing when university ended for the year during the summer because it meant we were home daily and could observe what was going on. We now suspect she is a prostitute. I think she's the worst person I have ever encountered in my whole 22 years. She's 34, living in a house share which is a very odd thing to do at that age.

Anyway, having visited SA in the recent years, I learnt about this cape coloured race and her annoying behaviours were generally reflected in how these cape coloured people were described to me as. They are known as loud, brash, stoners, attention seekers and just generally low lives.

Is it racist that I now have this view of a group of people ingrained?

It's a shame because my bf is of a different race and we would hopefully want to have some kids one day but coloureds have distorted my view of mixed race people. I've always found mixed race people in the UK to be extremely attractive and decent people but after experiencing this woman who lives with us, I wonder if races are just better off not mixing?

MODS- please delete this thread if it becomes infiltrated by bigots. It is not intended for extremists. I'm looking for balanced views.
    I think there could be a little racism but generally a strong dislike or hatred if you prefer for the lady. To top it off what you have seen of her people, which is a huge generalization if I may add frankly disgust you.

However, if you have children with a dual-heritage they are like any other kids. It all depends on how you raise them. Do not be so narrow minded.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.