Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asked to withdraw from the course. Unfair! 15+k in debt + 2yrs wasted over 4mins late Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which university?

ReputationRep:
    You were late and ****ed up the first time. You then ****ed up the second time.
    Why should they give you a third? Seems like a waste of their time.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    34 minutes late? Can you blame theM? When I turn up for class I like to be at least 10 minutes early, nevermind a ****ing exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaman21)
    There are forgivable reasons for being late which I would rather not mention, I told them this, but basically they just put up a barrier.

Also I read my watch as 34mins late, the woman wrote it down as being 37mins late At the time i didn't think this would matter and didn't correct her as she said they will probably let me just retake it, I now know she wrote it as 37mins late to reassure herself on her decision. Take away the amount of bickering time and it would prob end up being 2 mins late.
    If they were genuine and valid reasons for being late (for example, bus didn't arrive - not you missed it, it genuinely didn't show up), you should have submitted mitigation at the time instead of sulked.

ReputationRep:
    What caused the lateness?

Was you betrayed by your alarm clock?

ReputationRep:
    No sympathy for you.

ReputationRep:
    You're clutching at straws. Unless there's a VERY good reason why you were 34 minutes late (and waking up late or missing the bus doesn't count) then you have no chance. Anyone with some sense gets to an exam at least half an hour before the exam starts, so how could you be 34 minutes late?!

ReputationRep:
    you have been 34 minutes late for an exam which could possible decide your future life? just quit there is no hope for you

ReputationRep:
    i believe your reaons for being late, and i know sometimes, even with revision, we don't do well in the exam
    i know you wanted to make it right
    uif you flop an exam, what do you do, admit to defeat? YOU RETAKE IT
    ignore the trolls.
    also, yes, you should have been allowed AND , one more, you should have tried to go in early, like woken up early
    but if your reasons for lateness are good enough, then it's not your fault

ReputationRep:
    You haven't wasted 2 years over those "4 minutes" (which I suspect was much longer), but by the fact you didn't pass at the first time of asking and your lack of organisation. It's very expensive for a university to take on a student. If they're not delivering, they represent bad value. Sorry, but it looks like you've been done by The System.

I'd say learn from this experiance, get into the world of work and build up your profile and career that way

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it was their fault. If you had an explanation for being 34 minutes late, then they should be flexible, but you don't appear to... so why were you? Why do you deserve to pass when you seme to be so blase about being late for an exam you were only taking because you failed it the first time?

ReputationRep:
    So you were 34 mins late for you second chance that you knew was a make or break exam?

If I was the uni, i would want a pretty damn good excuse...and as you arent sharing yours...i think it isnt that great.

ReputationRep:
    So you want a third chance? Not going to happen unless you have a very good reason for being late.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, in the real world employers don't care if you're 34 minutes late for an important engagement.

Oh, wait....

ReputationRep:
    Just do the rest of the exams. Show that you are serious. Worry about appealing later.

ReputationRep:
    You were aware that the exam was important, and yet you still felt it was appropriate to be 34 minutes late? Oh dear.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaman21)
    There are forgivable reasons for being late which I would rather not mention, I told them this, but basically they just put up a barrier.

Also I read my watch as 34mins late, the woman wrote it down as being 37mins late At the time i didn't think this would matter and didn't correct her as she said they will probably let me just retake it, I now know she wrote it as 37mins late to reassure herself on her decision. Take away the amount of bickering time and it would prob end up being 2 mins late.
    Erm, I'm sorry, but I'm really struggling to be sympathetic here.:erm:
    This isn't really about four minutes, it's about the fact that you were given a series of second chances and thoroughly messed up one of them - possibly because you didn't fully realise that it was also your last chance and consequently didn't take it seriously enough.
    Universities aren't obliged to allow you to resit failed exams, and they're not obliged to give you a 30-minute period of grace either. In fact, the whole purpose of those 30 minutes' leeway you would theoretically have had was to allow for valid excuses for being late - within reason. But they have to draw the line somewhere, and at the end of the day you're a grown-up who should be held responsible for his own actions. You really ought to have realised that this was your last chance to pass the exam, and taken it seriously, by doing everything you could to ensure your turned up early enough and not expecting to be able to turn up late and still be allowed in. So unless the reason why you were delayed was something extremely serious (and we're talking serious as in getting a phonecall about an unexpected death in the family just as you were about to set off with twenty minutes to spare here), I don't think you'll stand much of a chance with trying to challenge the university's decision...

Also, in your first post you said that the reason you've been forced to withdraw because you "failed by 4%". Doesn't that imply that what actually made you fail wasn't the exam you weren't allowed to sit but the fact that you thought that because of it there was no longer any reason to try with the others? If so, then you were wrong in assuming you would fail anyway, no? Which begs the question why you didn't bother to look at the exam regulations to see what exactly you needed to do in order to pass your resits.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    So you failed at least two of your exams the first time round, then turned up 34 minutes for the resit of one and failed the other. Can't you understand why you're being asked to withdraw? Why were you late? It doesn't show a sense of commitment or motivation does it- if you were trying to prove that you should be permitted to stay on at your university, surely you would go flat out to ensure that you arrived BEFORE the start of the exam and that you actually made an effort to pass them.

I don't see what grounds you have for an appeal- why should they accept you back? You haven't been treated at all unfairly IMO. The fact that you have been given a chance to resit and then a certain amount of lee way with regards to being late for said resits seems overwhelmingly generous to me.

ReputationRep:
    As the saying goes...you may retake exams many times before you get it right, but sometimes you aren't allowed to retake exams. I think this is quite fitting here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.