Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Office (UK) - Do you like it? POLL Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think of The Office n ting?
    I love it!
    59.52%
    It's alright I suppose...Not bothered
    14.29%
    I hate it!
    19.05%
    The...what? Never heard of it. I live in a cave.
    7.14%

ReputationRep:
    Considering that I live there, I can confirm that The Office depicts an extremely accurate representation of Slough in that it is dull, depressing and full of chavs. Apart from that though I think it's hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    The Office is awesome, although I've probably seen it a few too many times...

My mum doesn't like it because she just sees it as 'male humour' and nothing more - not picking up on any of the abundant subtleties. she thinks that men laugh along with David Brent. She asserts that men would find his attitude funny in real life, and that this is what the humour of The Office revolves around.

Despite watching several whole episodes in disgust, she doesn't seem to have picked up on the fact that the joke is solely on David, Gareth and their friends. Moreover, she says that it is further proof that female humour is subtle, and male humour revolves around obvious sex jokes. Also, despite the inclusion of Tim and Dawn, she thinks that all females hate the office because it laughs at women. Ironic much?

To further prove that she's flawed in her argument, she loves the work of Victoria Wood - the creator of 'Dinnerladies'. Having watched one episode, I can safely say that I never want to watch an episode again. It was terrible. A classic example of female humour, and definitely in no way subtle or intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    The Office is awesome, although I've probably seen it a few too many times...

My mum doesn't like it because she just sees it as 'male humour' and nothing more - not picking up on any of the abundant subtleties. she thinks that men laugh along with David Brent. She asserts that men would find his attitude funny in real life, and that this is what the humour of The Office revolves around.

Despite watching several whole episodes in disgust, she doesn't seem to have picked up on the fact that the joke is solely on David, Gareth and their friends. Moreover, she says that it is further proof that female humour is subtle, and male humour revolves around obvious sex jokes. Also, despite the inclusion of Tim and Dawn, she thinks that all females hate the office because it laughs at women. Ironic much?

To further prove that she's flawed in her argument, she loves the work of Victoria Wood - the creator of 'Dinnerladies'. Having watched one episode, I can safely say that I never want to watch an episode again. It was terrible. A classic example of female humour, and definitely in no way subtle or intelligent.
    My mum loves The Office!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I like the American one but not keen on the British one
    Not all the British one are same. So how you calculated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric7)
    Not all the British one are same. So how you calculated.
    Er, what?

ReputationRep:
    British one for me, probably my fav sitcom after Arrested Development.

The American one was great in season 2 and 3 then its all been downhill from there, silly intros and story lines have ruined it for me.

ReputationRep:
    I do like it, but I prefer Extras. Stephen Merchant is such an underrated genius and better then Gervais in my opinion despite Ricky getting all the glory, plus I sort of fancy him in a weird, I know this is wrong way! xx

ReputationRep:
    Going to watch the outtakes andChristmas specials today :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I love it!

Ricky Gervais is a genius. The man has actually created a new branch of comedy.

You can watch it (as with Extras) and laugh your bum off, and when it's over the sad reality of it sinks in and you cry for like 15 minutes.

Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemissunited)
    I love it!

Ricky Gervais is a genius. The man has actually created a new branch of comedy.

You can watch it (as with Extras) and laugh your bum off, and when it's over the sad reality of it sinks in and you cry for like 15 minutes.

Brilliant.
    Agreed!

We need more people voting on the poll!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.