Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How important is it to not compare yourself with others? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Very, imo. I do it sometimes and, when I do, I just feel worse about myself. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    It is very important.
    I can't help it though.

ReputationRep:
    You must always compare yourself to others, otherwise what drive and determination will you have, who can you spire to be, to defeat?

The real key is to know your strengths, to know what you might be able to achieve, and aim for it. I mean, sure, I'd like to be the next Einstein, but I'm aware that it just isn't going to happen. Doesn't stop me having aspirations though, it just gives me some grounding.

ReputationRep:
    For every person you perceive better than you, find a chav to balance it out with :p:

Works every time

ReputationRep:
    The problem is the goals constantly change. Once you reach the goal in your head its no longer adequate this is why for example you get miserable lottery winners.

What happens when that Rolex is stolen ?
    What happens when you loose your job ?
    What happens if you loose the respect of your friends ?

are you suddenly less of a person? are you defined by these things ?

You can have goals/ambitions but becoming too attached to them will cause discontent with what you have. This then causes unhappiness.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's PC *******s (the saying).

Everybody has different circumstances in life. But part of living also is to strive and grow. So comparing is not bad per se.

I think if a person does it a lot, or feels inadequate a lot, then it's probably a self-esteem issue. We cannot be totally equal if we are all different, and nobody is truly superior to anybody else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.