Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PS3 vs. Xbox 360 - The Ultimate Verdict (Which is Superior?) Watch

• View Poll Results: PS3 vs. Xbox 360 - The Ultimate Verdict
    PS3
    57.25%
    Xbox 360
    32.82%
    Abstain - only ever played one, never played either, etc.
    9.92%

PS3 for me for a few reasons...

I prefer the exclusives, and besides which, true 360 exclusives are a rarity, as they in fact tend to be Microsoft exclusives and see a Windows release too, e.g. Mass Effect, Fable etc. . As you don't need a high end PC to play a game that was designed for 360, playing those exclusives should be a viable option for anyone with a desktop PC.

I prefer the controller because... I just do. Whether that's because I've grown up progressing from PSX to PS2 to PS3, and the bones in my hands have somehow developed to fit more comfortably around Dual Shock controllers, I don't know... but I just find it hard to get on with the 360 controller in terms of both grip and button placement. I'm pretty certain this isn't fanboyism, though, as I still maintain that the best console controller EVER is the standard GameCube controller.

I also do watch the occasional BluRay, but would have been very unlikely to buy a dedicated player... though admittedly that wasn't one of the things that tempted me into buying a PS3 - just a bonus, really. Missing out on the remastered BluRay version of FF7:AC would have been a tragedy!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      Cast your votes as to which one you believe is more superior.

Don't just vote for the one you own if you have never played the other to compare.

Make your choice a summary of which one you believe is overall the superior product, in terms of everything.
      here comes the fan boy war.

anyway, i think PS3 is superior because the exclusive games are much better than xbox's exclusives such as Uncharted, Little big Planet and Metal Gear Solid 4 and the best game ever made - Demon Souls.

However, PS3 is better since it got a blu-ray player where you can watch films in Full HD whereas 30 only got the boring DVD, it got built in iPlayer, LoveFilms and in future, BT, Sky and ITV, so overall PS3 is not just a brilliant game console, its a fantastic entertainment hub

360 only got Halo and Gears of war, how boring, Plus Most 360 exclusives is available on PC and some are coming to PS3 such as the Mass Effect series! woop!

ReputationRep:
      PS3 is easily better don't buy into the whole "xbox live is better than ps3 network by far!!!!!!" this is just propaganda by Xbox players who have never played on a ps3 online and just sit around playing gears of war/halo all day

ReputationRep:
      What douchebags voted for PS3? One word for them; Kinect.

The 'Playstation Move' is a pile of utter ****e, basically the same as a Wii but with a whopping great coloured ball on the end that lights up to attract Sony fanboys like a moth to a flame.

ReputationRep:
      PS3 superior in every way, I own both btw.

ReputationRep:
      Neither!

Gameboy ftw :d

ReputationRep:
      I own neither, but have played both round friend's, so I see myself as pretty unbiased. I'd say PS3 is ahead of Xbox in everything except controller design. Having blu-ray is a big bonus, and the better hardware means PS3 could (and should) accelerate ahead of Xbox in the coming years (although to be fair if that doesn't happen in the next few years it'll be too late anyway). Also, Move is much easier to integrate into games, whereas Kinect seems destined to be a bit of a dead end (good for dancing and party games, but what else?!).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RNBen)
      It is actually called Blu-ray. There is no 'e'. :rolleyes:
      Stop being a petty *****
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Linweth)
      Stop being a petty *****
      Haha. Sorry, but my post was only as pointless as this entire thread.

ReputationRep:
      There's just no arguing that the PS3 is more superior. The Xbox is a cheap gaming system that only uses HD DVDs, which limits the size of games and limits the quality of other media stored on those discs. The Xbox is designed to be bought on a low budget for casual gamers and to be cheap to replace. The Xbox only exists to extract as much money as possible from its consumers and in the end owning an Xbox costs a lot more than a PS3.

ReputationRep:
      I prefer Xbox mainly because I just prefer the games (and I also hate PS controllers) but I wouldn't say either was that much better than the other; both have strong and weak points - I just chose via what games I wanted to play. Isn't that more important than "which is better"?

ReputationRep:
      Both have their strong and weak points. I only own an xbox, but I play the PS3 around my mates house sometimes. Even though the xbox controller sits nicer in your hand, I don't see how people complain about bashing their thumbs on the joysticks on the PS3/it being really uncomfortable. It fits fairly nicely in your hands unless you have 7 fingers on each hand.
      The PS3 has an in-built blu-ray player, which is a massive bonus. However, you're also paying for that when buying the console (albeit at a really good price if you bought a console and a blu-ray player separately).
      I can't stand the new interface for the xbox though. The 2 loading circles make me wince every time I see them, as when the circle is full up, instead of starting the fade again where it would have been if it carried on spinning, it starts right at the top. It's a little thing, but I get a bit OCD about stuff like that. Plus, it's a lot slower, and the PS3 interface looks nicer.
      I haven't played on the kinect or move yet, but both look fairly gimmicky, and the PS3 one is pretty much a wii, while the xbox is an upgraded PS2 eyetoy, which if I remember correctly, failed miserably.
      The reason I bought the xbox was the price. The console is cheaper, and the games on average are about £10 cheaper too, for some reason. Playing CoD on the PS3 and Xbox, I haven't noticed any difference in graphics, but that's probably because I've got a *****in' HD tv while my mate has a smaller screen than me.

ReputationRep:
      I prefer the 360 because I hate the PS3 controller. Made for tiny Japanese hands...¬¬

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by iPodAddict93)
      What douchebags voted for PS3? One word for them; Kinect.

The 'Playstation Move' is a pile of utter ****e, basically the same as a Wii but with a whopping great coloured ball on the end that lights up to attract Sony fanboys like a moth to a flame.
      Anyone who bought a PS3/360 for move or kinect may as well have saved their money and got a wiiwii

ReputationRep:
      The PS3 pad is fine but then again i have been using the PlayStation controller long before the Xbox came out so i am used to it anyways.

I'd say it's because people can't adjust as opposed to the analog positioning because that was never a problem before even on the N64.

Also a preemptive "LOL" at whoever brings Kinect to the table. Fed up of it's rail games already.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JAKstriked)
      Anyone who bought a PS3/360 for move or kinect may as well have saved their money and got a wiiwii
      True, why buy Kinect when you can save a tenner and get a Wii from Sainsbury's!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by iPodAddict93)
      Yeah, basically the same as the wii, but better.

ReputationRep:
      Nintendo Wii because it has monster hunter tri.

Seriously. :pierre:

xbox360 has kinect but the online is not free where as it is for the ps3
        therefore the ps3 is better lol

ReputationRep:
        No offence to anyone but you'll find gaming newbies, e.g people who didn't start on the Megadrive, NES, Snes etc will think the 360 is better, but to hardcore gamers, the PS3 is the better console.

Free online,
        don't need to pay for a plug n charge kit like 360,
        built in blu ray, you had to buy a hd dvd player separately which died of death anyway....
        BUILT IN WIRELESS in ps3, no built in wireless in the early 360's
        360 failure rate was 1/3 then up to 50% on early 360's (source; Kotaku)

need i go on?

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.