Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BBC lost it for us in our lifetime Watch

ReputationRep:
    At least you have good prospects for a job at the daily mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAchInE_hEAd)
    So England will now not be able to bid for another World Cup till 2030. By this time we will see a strong emergence from the remaining BRIC economies namely China and India.

There is no way in hell England will be able to compete with a practically untounched market of 2.5 billion people in asia. Judging by what the chinese did for the olympic games you can pretty much guarantee an ausome world cup over there.

England marketed itself as a safe pair of hands but in 20 to 30 years your gonna see countries that can offer a whole lot more.

Anyway I'm just saying that its a sad thought to think that the World Cup may not come to this country in our lifetime because the BBC can't keep their mother****ing mouths shut.
    I'm pretty sure the bidding process rotates from continent to continent, so when England do bid again, they would be up against European countries only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penrithkeswick)
    So the BBC shouldn't tell the country the truth just in case it messes up the country's chance to host a massivley expensive event and which will also humiliate the England team even more when they get knocked out at the first opportunity, that is if they manage to qualify at all?
    Um you do realise that the hosting nation is automatically qualified, right?

ReputationRep:
    If it was all about the media circus, then Spain/Portugal would of got it.

Sepp Blatter doing his bit to ensure his nobel peace prize by brining the world cup to russia and the middle east.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So you would prefer to have the World Cup than a free press?
    You are aware that we don't actually have a 100% free press ain't you?

The BBC is nowhere near as free. It's almost government ran.

There are many stories that get blocked by the courts. and many other things that are blocked from being released.

Also I'd rather have a free press and a world cup. Why couldn't the BBC put on the panorama program a week after the world cup had been announced.

I don't like the british media. I was a journalist. I quickly learn't that its a horrible business to work in. Absolute horrible. Horrible people. But to put the entire blame onto the media is wrong. There was only one major thing that made us lose the World Cup votes. That is money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcessNeo)
    Um you do realise that the hosting nation is automatically qualified, right?
    Aah, so that's why they were so desperate to win the bid - it was their only chance of actually qualifying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penrithkeswick)
    Aah, so that's why they were so desperate to win the bid - it was their only chance of actually qualifying!
    It always seemed like an obvious concept to me. Expecting a nation to foot the bill for a world cup that they might not qualify for would be a kick in the teeth.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.