Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it necessary to be a 'natural' mathematician to succeed at A level maths? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    5h1t joke in sig.
    A shining example of derivative comedy.

ReputationRep:
    I hope so. I have no natural aptitude for maths, and work my ass off. If natural aptitude really is required, then my apiration to study physics is gone. I really hope hard work is all it takes...

ReputationRep:
    For most of the modules, you can pretty much get away with learning via memorising, but it really does help not only for passing exams but for personal enjoyment to actually understand the logic to how and why things work.

You mentioned about being asked to apply maths in unfamiliar situations. Well if you're worried about that, you should steer clear of mechanics modules (although M1 should probably be fine).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    A shining example of derivative comedy.
    Is there any limit to this type of humour?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit like saying do you need to be a natural guitar player to be good at the guitar, the people who have done loads of practice just become 'naturals'. You can become a 'natural' at maths just through seeing lots of different types of questions and learning the type of tricks that you use to solve each question. The more of those tricks you have seen the more you kind of recognise what the question is asking and what it wants you to do.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is just following simple instructions and remembering formulas etc.

I got a D in GCSE Statistics in Year 10 because I hated Maths and my teacher, but in Year 11 I worked 10 times harder and ended up enjoying both maths and the teaching, resulting in an A grade. Now that I think about it, I would have gotten an A* if my coursework in Year 10 was better (I remember my teacher saying it was shocking lol).

Anyway, work hard and it'll be easy. You don't have to be a natural anything to do well - it just makes it easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    It's a bit like saying do you need to be a natural guitar player to be good at the guitar, the people who have done loads of practice just become 'naturals'. You can become a 'natural' at maths just through seeing lots of different types of questions and learning the type of tricks that you use to solve each question. The more of those tricks you have seen the more you kind of recognise what the question is asking and what it wants you to do.
    I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Err, and how do you think students develop intuition? :eyebrow: (Hint: they have done a lot of practice!)
    haha maybe intuition might not be the right word to describe it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.