Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chrome OS coming out on Dec 7th Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Why would you want a netbook you can only use when you have internet connection? Mobile internet in the UK is pretty shoddy and very unreliable.

Again, if you were going to buy a netbook where the only reliable place to use it is in your house you'd buy a computer or a laptop. Why on earth would you want a netbook (Something built around portability) to use in your house?

Also, you can't use a somebody's opinion if they buy computers from PC world. They're simply technologically inept
    Mobile internet? I'm not talking about mobile internet. I agree, a netbook you can only use when on the internet running off mobile internet is not a good idea.
    However, you're not thinking of possible use cases. Consider (for example) an elderly person. Assume someone comes along and sets up wireless in their house. They don't need the complexity of windows, they don't need a laptop (which are comparatively difficult to shift around), battery life means they can wander around without having to mess around with wires etc, everything they do is automatically backed up. There are many more advantages in this particular use case.
    You seem to be underrating the usefulness of portability inside the house. I frequently just grab my iphone if I want to surf the internet in another room, as opposed to my laptop.
    Put it like this. I can certainly think of some uses for it, therefore I would potentially buy it. The fact that you can't see any use does not mean there is no use (I use a similar arguments for iPads incidentally).
    You've missed my point on this last bit, but I'll respond to this tangential sentence anyway. You're flirting with danger if you ignore the technically inept people - they consist of a significant portion of computer users. Who do you think clicks on the ads on (say) google? Saying "you are irrelevant because you're not good with computers" is stupid (from a business POV).

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    And what about music, photos etc? I would hate to have to rely on a cloud based OS for that kind of stuff if I had a slow connection. It would be hell.
    I agree it would be hell, which is why I said someone with a slow connection is not the target market. For someone with >= 2Mbps or a university student, this isn't an issue though.

You'd be surprised how many people buy netbooks. A lot of people buy them because they are cheap. For the average user, they are more than enough in general. Also, whos saying PC world won't be selling chrome OS based netbooks?

And you are very wrong about internet reliability.
    You are correct, PC world may well sell chrome OS based netbooks. And fine, people do buy netbooks. But these aren't ordinary netbooks. The point I seem to have failed to make was: if you have dial up, you are not a possible customer of this type of netbook. The PC world bit was irrelevant. Once you see a (hopefully clear) label saying 'continuous broadband internet access required', then someone with dial-up will go somewhere else.
    Maybe I am wrong, and I retract my statement portraying my opinion as a fact. However, I refuse to acknowledge your statement until I see some kind of non-anecdotal source.

:sigh: neither of the above responses were very good, and for that I apologise. I was unable to articulate my thoughts as well as I would have liked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    I've been told by a friend who has graduated and now works for Microsoft as a programmer - I hate him - I want his job :\

Its basically a program that will be part of windows where you will have full access and navigation of facebook without going to facebook.com.

Its going to have far more features than Facebook has now. It won't be in the next update of Facebook though as the next update of Facebook is being launched parallel to the release of GoogleMe to stop people leaving Facebook.
    Sounds like the new version of Windows Messenger.

(Original post by flipshot)
      There will probably be a Facebook web app at some point but it won't be anything special, probably just the website with in browser notifications. Anyone can develop a web app for Chrome App Store so there doesn't need to be any special relationship.
      What? So, what would you say Facebook is now?

Apps, web apps... what's wrong with people actually having software? All this about 'apps' this and 'apps' that...

And cloud computing really does defeat the point of the Internet. I'm glad I can afford a hard drive now, but I'm going to save up and buy more, in case they become impossible to find.

ReputationRep:
      but you need a special device to use it

Google says everyone who wants to beta test Chrome OS will need to apply and if they think you are worthy...they will send you a free one of these:
      http://chromeossite.com/2010/12/07/g...me-os-netbook/

I'll be applying (and probably getting rejected)

Do you live in the United States?
        • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
        God it looks ugly, but then again I suppose it's only for testing. Shame it's US only though. :moon:

ReputationRep:
        You need to live in the US

ReputationRep:
        Looks like a black macbook

ReputationRep:
        I hope this will fail :/ but have small feeling it will be completely success

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by MylesXD)
        I hope this will fail :/ but have small feeling it will be completely success
        Why? More competition is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
        Its such a con, its hardly a new OS. Its just a multifunctional web browser, if I deleted everything off my MacBook apart from my web browser then it would be just as quick. I really dont understand it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by THRASHx)
        Its such a con, its hardly a new OS. Its just a multifunctional web browser, if I deleted everything off my MacBook apart from my web browser then it would be just as quick. I really dont understand it.
        It's better than that Jollicloud crap though.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ewan)
        Why? More competition is a good thing.
        yes i know that, but you have idots using chrome right now, which only use it cause of that advert on youtube

"faster videos on chrome than any over browser"

ReputationRep:
        I hope this kills apple

ReputationRep:
        I'm no tester / developer, but even I can tell they haven't nailed the 'looks' department yet. :p:

(Original post by DJkG.1)
          I'm no tester / developer, but even I can tell they haven't nailed the 'looks' department yet. :p:
          Hopefully they will in future when they come to the actual design. :p:

I'm quite interested in this; to see how it turns out and where it goes.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
          Hopefully they will in future when they come to the actual design. :p:

I'm quite interested in this; to see how it turns out and where it goes.
          Haha fair point. :cool:

It will be quite interesting to see how it turns out, and what effects Google has upon Microsoft and Apple.

ReputationRep:
          Search button, instead of caps lock.

That is not cool.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by MylesXD)
          yes i know that, but you have idots using chrome right now, which only use it cause of that advert on youtube

"faster videos on chrome than any over browser"
          You also get a lot of idiots using Explorer because they don't realise there are better alternatives :p:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Ewan)
          You also get a lot of idiots using Explorer because they don't realise there are better alternatives :p:
          i personally use Firefox & Internet explore 9 Beta, people only hate it cause its Microsoft :mad:
          or some other "stupid reason"

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.