Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

xc1991 does the Texas Method Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    yeah, but everyone else seems to row a fair bit more than they bench. i mean the skinny kid in the power cage next to me was benching a mere 50 kg, but still managed to barbell row as much
    Well for a start it's easier to cheat at rows.

But anyway, what I meant is, once you've been doing rows for more than a couple of months, I'm sure it'll catch up.

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday Recovery Session 2: 10:45-11:45

Squat:
    Bar x 10
    82.5 kg x 3
    82.5 kg x 3
    82.5 kg x 3

(obviously not done to failure lol)

Overhead Press

Bar x 5
    52.5 kg x 5
    52.5 kg x 5 (Near failure)
    50 kg x 5
    50 kg x 7 (F)

I'm finding it hard to maintain proper technique on this, i keep curving my back (slightly) do get the press

Lat Pull down:

30 kg x 8
    72kg x 8
    72 kg x 8
    72 kg x 8
    (not to failure)

Weighted Pull ups:
    1 x bodyweight
    8 x BW + 11 kg
    8 x BW + 13.5 kg
    7 x BW + 13.5 kg (Failure)

Ab crunches

20 x BW+10kg
    20 x BW+10kg
    20 x BW+10kg

Just ate loads of chicken and pasta and veg, feeling fairly confident for Fridays workout, am expecting to be benching 100kg for 2-3 Reps, Squatting 115/117.5kg for 3-4 Reps, Deadlift does worry me however, maybe i will go for 115 kg x 3 on Friday

ReputationRep:
    Friday Intensity Session 2 10:00-10:45

Bench Press:
    Bar x 5
    40 kg x 5
    70 kg x 3
    100 kg x 3 (last rep was a real struggle, probably wouldn't of counted in a powerlifting comp, but still went up)

Squats:
    Bar x 5
    50 kg x 5
    90 kg x 3
    115 kg x 3 (Couldn't of got another rep out without assistance)

Deadlift:
    70 kg x 5
    90 kg x 3
    115 kg x 5

Was pleasing to eventually get my deadlift ahead/ on par with squats. I'm still not too sure if my technique is good, and in the last set grip was more of a limiting factor than my strength.

100kg 3RM Bench Press and 115kg 3RM Squat records achieved today, very pleased with my deadlift progress too, although I had secretly hoped to get 4 reps out of Bench and squat.
    My gym has 2 barbells, both 20kg, but one has a slightly thicker bar, and the other one has a slightly thinner bar. The thinner one has always been my preference, and i try to use it when i get the choice. The thicker one i generally get 1 rep less per set on as its harder to grip (even with my large hands), today for the first time in the Texas Method, I used the thicker bar (NOTE it affects Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlift and Barbell rows but NOT squats)

ReputationRep:
    Monday Volume Session 3

im back home from uni now and in my home gym, its a lot less crowded, and most guys dont bother with any lower body work, which is good for me

Bench Press:

bar x 8
    40 kg x 5
    87.5 kg x 5
    87.5 kg x 5
    87.5 kg x 5
    87.5 kg x 5
    87.5 kg x 7 (this was to failure, and the massive gym instructor spotting me made me do a ridculous forced negative rep lol)

Squats:
    bar x 8
    50 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5 (had a couple more left in the tank, but no spotter)

Barbell row:

bar x 5
    50 kg x 5
    70 kg x 3 (too heavy)
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5
    67.5 kg x 5

in retrospect i ought to have used 67. kg all the way

(strict) Overhead Press: (im away on wednesday so did these today)

bar x 5
    55 kg x 4
    52.5 kg x 5
    60 kg x 1
    65 kg x 2 (failure)

decent workout, still getting annoyed with barbell rows, id rather deadlift tbh

ReputationRep:
    I was away on Wednesday so had to skip that workout

today, christmas eve Friday Intensity session 3:

Bench Press:
    bar x 10
    50 kg x 5
    70 kg x 5
    102.5kg x 3 (i managed a 4 th rep with appauling form, but the spotter used one finger to help it up, so i wont count it)

Squats:

bar x 10
    60 kg x 5
    90 kg x 4
    117.5 kg x 5 (failure)

Deadlifts:

60 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    120 kg x 5

Deadlift seems to be going up nicely, I couldnt even get 120kg off the ground 2 weeks ago, but did 5 reps with it today. 102.5 kg bench press was wobbly though, the right hand side went up quick but my left pec seems weaker.

Squats were good too, I just realised my 117.5kg is the heaviest deep squat I've ever seen in real life

ReputationRep:
    Monday Volume Session 4 11:00-12:15

Bench Press:

Bar x 12
    50 kg x 6
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 6 (failure)

The first set was suprisingly hard, my 2nd and 3rd were a bit easier once the testosterone had kicked in. I always ask someone to supervise/spot me for set 4 and 5, having someone supervise makes me work harder, to set 4 was done easily. Set 5 i managed 6 reps, and failed my 7th.

Squats:

bar x 10
    60 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5

First set of squats was suprisingly hard, and i'm having problems with my legs bending outwards/ caving in.
    I took nice long rests between sets, on my last rep of set 5 I went properly low and keeled forwards as I drove out the hole, I managed to recover my balance and get the rep though. (I dont use a spotter for squats unless its a friday max weight session)

Barbell Rows:

bar x 6
    40 kg x 5
    67.5 kg x 5
    67.5 kg x 5
    67.5 kg x 5
    67.5 kg x 5
    67.5 kg x 5

not too bad now, took relatively short breaks between these too

Overhead Press
    my arms were knackered from bench press, but i'm away Tue-Thur unfortuantely so won't be doing a weds session

bar x 5
    50 kg x 6
    55 kg x 5
    60 kg x 2 (failure)

I was very dissapointed with only getting 60 kg for a double, given a got 65 kg for 2 or 3 last week. My triceps were so drained from bench press though

This Monday was the trickiest workout yet, as I knew it would be. I'm going to have to eat and sleep perfectly this week, because I can't see myself handling a 5 x 5 92.5kg bench and 5 x 5 105kg squat at my current strength level.

ReputationRep:
    Monday Volume Session 4 11:00-12:15

Bench Press:

Bar x 12
    50 kg x 6
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 6 (failure)

The first set was suprisingly hard

Squats:

bar x 10
    60 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5
    102.5 kg x 5

First set of squats was suprisingly hard
    First sets are hard because your warmup is crap. Your worksets are ~80% heavier than your last warmup!

Instead, do something like this (example is for squats, but similar rules can be applied to bench):

20kg x10
    60 x5
    80 x4
    90 x1 or 2
    102.5 x5x5
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    RawJoh1 is spot on. Do some proper warm ups!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    First sets are hard because your warmup is crap. Your worksets are ~80% heavier than your last warmup!

Instead, do something like this (example is for squats, but similar rules can be applied to bench):

20kg x10
    60 x5
    80 x4
    90 x1 or 2
    102.5 x5x5
    thanks man, that does look like a better warm up lol. i guess the trick is not to go too heavy on the warm up so that it interfers with the work sets and doesnt leave me enough energy for that last set

ReputationRep:
    thanks man, that does look like a better warm up lol. i guess the trick is not to go too heavy on the warm up so that it interfers with the work sets and doesnt leave me enough energy for that last set
    Yeah basically. You don't want the warmup to interfere with your work sets, hence why you taper the reps down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Yeah basically. You don't want the warmup to interfere with your work sets, hence why you taper the reps down.
    btw

is it better to do the warm up sets with minimal rest, say 30-60 seconds between each? compared to the work sets where i might wait 2-3 minutes

ReputationRep:
    btw

is it better to do the warm up sets with minimal rest, say 30-60 seconds between each? compared to the work sets where i might wait 2-3 minutes
    I wouldent say 30/60 secs, but then not 2-3 minutes.

Go for inbetween, 1-2 mins. Maybe 90secs?

It'll be different for everyone else. I'd reccommend some stretching inbetween warm up sets aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanage)
    I wouldent say 30/60 secs, but then not 2-3 minutes.

Go for inbetween, 1-2 mins. Maybe 90secs?

It'll be different for everyone else. I'd reccommend some stretching inbetween warm up sets aswell.
    i ought to have mentioned.
    i do stretches before i pick up the barbell, and then some more stretches after i've done the set with just the barbell.

when i'v finished all the work sets for upper or lower body, i stretch the relevant half again

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do 20kg jumps for squats, 40 then 20 for deadlift and 10kg for bench.

Everyone's diff. For squats and deads worksets I wait longer then 2-3 mins if I have to. Warm-up sets about 90 secs-2 mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Yeah I do 20kg jumps for squats, 40 then 20 for deadlift and 10kg for bench.

Everyone's diff. For squats and deads worksets I wait longer then 2-3 mins if I have to. Warm-up sets about 90 secs-2 mins.
    10 kg jumps for bench press?
    so your workout would be:

20,30,40,50,60,70,80, 90 x 5 x 5 work set

that would definetely interfer with my ability to complete the work set effectively

ReputationRep:
    10 kg jumps for bench press?
    so your workout would be:

20,30,40,50,60,70,80, 90 x 5 x 5 work set

that would definetely interfer with my ability to complete the work set effectively
    60, 70, 80, 90, 100 x whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I do. If I wanted to do 120 for sets, I'd do

60x10
    75x5
    90x5
    100x5
    110x5
    then work sets

ReputationRep:
    Yep, really depends on max lift. Try to get four or five warm up sets out of it starting at 60kg.

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday Recovery Session 4

I'm staying with my granmother for a couple of days, so haven't been able to get to the gym, however I improvised and used my 70 kg brother for squats:

Squats:

bodyweight x 5
    70 kg x 3

the barbell was protesting, so i abandoned the sets.

On a serious note, i've been eating clean, and sleeping 9.5 hours a night since Monday. On tuesday everytime i stood up, i could feel the strain in my legs from mondays workout.
    if i lie on my back on the bed and have my arms out at 90degrees, i can feel the stress in my pecs.

I'm looking forward to Fridays intensity session now, hopefully get a 125kg or 130 kg deadlift

Wednesday Recovery Session 4

I'm staying with my granmother for a couple of days, so haven't been able to get to the gym, however I improvised and used my 70 kg brother for squats:

Squats:

bodyweight x 5
      70 kg x 3

the barbell was protesting, so i abandoned the sets.

On a serious note, i've been eating clean, and sleeping 9.5 hours a night since Monday. On tuesday everytime i stood up, i could feel the strain in my legs from mondays workout.
      if i lie on my back on the bed and have my arms out at 90degrees, i can feel the stress in my pecs.

I'm looking forward to Fridays intensity session now, hopefully get a 125kg or 130 kg deadlift
      What's the best position for squatting someone? Did you have your brother across your shoulders or in a piggy back style or something?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.