Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which University city should I go too? Poll Watch

• View Poll Results: Whick Uni city should I go too?
    Aberdeen
    7.35%
    Edinburgh
    54.41%
    Leicester
    15.44%
    Liverpool
    22.79%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    Heriot-watt is outside the city mind, heard that the transport links aren't too amazing either.

I'm also applying there and have got an open day sorted for febuary, I advise you do the same to get a feel of location regarding the city centre. I voted Edinburgh anyway since it keeps winning polls for being the most desirable place to live in the UK, must be a reason.
    Yeah the transport to Heriot-Watt isn't great, mainly because it's in Riccarton, where there's nothing at all but the uni. And fields. Lots and lots of fields. I was thinking of applying there but the fact it's so far out of Edinburgh itself has put me off - after living 12 years of my life in places that are really out in the sticks, I want a change.

RE the Poll, I'd go for Edinburgh because it's a beautiful place and has everything you could possibly want in a capital city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    INB4 that troll at Aberdeen posting pics of the gothic architecture AGAIN.
    No, he's banned.

ReputationRep:
    I might boggart this thread a tiny bit and ask the same question for myself.

Which is the best university city: Edinburgh, Newcastle or Hull?

Hope you don't mind OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dawson2010)
    Correct a mundo! I applied to Heriot-watt!
    Personally I think Heriot-Watt is one of the most underated universities in the UK, but just me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen as a city is small and compact. Almost everything centres around Union Street, apart from the University of Aberdeen, which is just 15 minutes walk down King Street; Robert Gordon University's Garthdee campus, which is a 30 minute walk away; and the beach and leisure centres, which are only a 10 minute walk away. The bus service is generally good if you just want to get up and down King Street and Union Street; however, it is very expensive.

Not everyone is going to like a small city such as Aberdeen. You'll soon start to recognise the faces you see every day (and there is indeed some fine ass that walks down King Street in the morning) and you can't become anonymous.

It's quite a trek away from England, too, so you're unlikely to find many English students up here. Most will be local (and living at home), or from the Central Belt and be, well, rahs.

Aberdeen is quite a wealthy city due to the oil, so there's plenty of expensive shops and accommodation is also quite expensive. You also won't be able to understand the locals for a while, either. We speak practically our own little language.

I know that might sound a little off-putting, and I thin Aberdeen is a great city to live in. Its compactness means that once you're bored of one club, the next is only just down the street. The shopping centres are all within a few minutes walk from each other and you probably won't need a taxi after a night out.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose Edinburgh. Good city life but not too far from the countryside, a great university, a diverse and large student population

ReputationRep:

Hope you don't mind OP.
    I live in Newcastle, and this city is awesome, but I need a change, even if it is to a smaller, quieter city.

ReputationRep:

Hope you don't mind OP.
    Hull is a VERY grim place, wouldnt want to live there unless there was some personal benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Hull is a VERY grim place, wouldnt want to live there unless there was some personal benefit.
    Hull is a **** hole, but the University is really nice and it's not near the scummy parts of Hull. But yeah, I wouldn't be happy if I went to University and discovered my nearest city centre was anything like Hull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Might not have applied to Edinbrugh University.
    Very true, my bad. But what I said about Edinburgh as a city still stands. Not knowing much about the other uni in Edinburgh (Robert Gordon Uni right?) I can't comment on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    No, he's banned.
    Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh :love:

ReputationRep:
    gonna watch this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Very true, my bad. But what I said about Edinburgh as a city still stands. Not knowing much about the other uni in Edinburgh (Robert Gordon Uni right?) I can't comment on it.
    Robert Gordon is in Aberdeen, Edinburgh Napier is the other university in Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    ****, hope I get the grades to get to the better universities then, Hull's my backup. Cheers for the advice.

Could someone please explain the logic in voting Leicester over Aberdeen? :lolwut:

With regards to Liverpool and Edinburgh, I can see where people are coming from. But Leicester. Leicester for **** sake... :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
      Liverpool.. simply because: The raz
      Yes, yes, yes

ReputationRep:
      Liverpool and Edinburgh are both nice cities.

Obviously go to open days at each since youre going to be spending +3 years of your life at one of these places.

ReputationRep:
      Please vote for your option, use messages to explain why you chose the city! Cheers TSRers
      Preferably one that teaches you how to distinguish between "too" and "to" correctly.

Also why have you narrowed it down so much?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Jakal)
      Preferably one that teaches you how to distinguish between "too" and "to" correctly.

Also why have you narrowed it down so much?
      I believe the OP has already applied to unis in these cities.

I've applied to Aberdeen and Edinburgh as well and never been to either. Excited to see which one tops the poll! In general, I've heard good things about Edinburgh as a city. Though one friend found it a bit miserly due to rain, I guess you can't escape that.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.