Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever tried absinthe? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js374)
    Remember it crystallises in your stomach so when you wake up and have some water in the morning you will get drunk all over again.
    bs.

ReputationRep:
    Don't drink in shots, drink it as a proper drink.

If you drink it steadily you'll be fine, as shots than there's not much point other than getting *****ed. If you just want to get *****ed, drink something cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    its a definite way for a mega vomcano...no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Absinthe was the first drink I ever got drunk on. Just awful.

ReputationRep:
    Do it the 'traditional way' or water it down with sprite or something - it'll prolly put blisters on your tongue if you just knock it back neat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    :lolwut: Why the hell would you do such a thing?

What happened to Smirnoff Ice? Budweiser? Cider? Wine? Anything else except Absinthe...

ReputationRep:
    I have, don't like the aniseed sort of taste personally. They vary in strength quite a bit from around 40% up to 90% alcohol content(do any go over 90%? maybe..).

do you ever have shots of vodka? Most vodkas are around 40%, so obviously if it's a 60% absinthe you'd want to consume around 50% less then you would of vodka, however many shots it takes for you to feel the effects quite strongly. Not saying absinthe is consumed neat in shots mind, unless you want to get drunk ASAP, it's generally watered down with molten sugar added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCI23)
    Are you talking about straight absinthe or the 'traditional' way of drinking it?
    Both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    :lolwut: Why the hell would you do such a thing?

What happened to Smirnoff Ice? Budweiser? Cider? Wine? Anything else except Absinthe...
    My friends are bad people.

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    bs.
    crystallisation has nothing to do with it but I was under the impression that alcohol can start to wear off then suddenly return, especially if you drink water. This only occurs if you drink a hell of a lot but there is a limit to how much alcohol your digestive system will absorb and can be metabolised in one sudden burst, so if you drink a load of 80% shots quickly, chances are some will just sit in your stomach, after a while, especially if you dilute it, this will then be absorbed, giving another wave of drunkenness, it's one reason why some folk can go totally overboard as they feel the affects wearing off so they drink a load more, when actually there is still alcohol in their stomach.

I'm probably totally wrong tbh, I'll not test it out personally either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    I might be partaking of the green fairy for the first time tonight and I was wondering how much of it I should drink so as not to get completely ****ed and end up sleeping in a rain-soaked gutter. Only I've got stuff to do tomorrow.
    Then don't have absinthe. It's bad if you have plans the other day. You'll wake up rather weary, and possibly a bit drunk

If you don't have anything to do the next day, drink. If it's your first time with the fairy, I suggest having one shot then drinking anything else afterwards. It'll hit you hard. Drinking just absinthe never does anything. As soon as you mix, it's fun.

Once you've had it a few times, try gas chambers. It involves sniffing the absinthe. Now that ****s you up xD. (I'll happily explain how it's done, as it's quite convoluted, once you get used to absinthe )

ReputationRep:
    Like all spirits it tastes completely horrible, but with the advantage that you need only consume half as much of the nauseating concoction before you'll be wearing your shoes on your face and trying to eat the Moon. Score.

ReputationRep:
    Well I tried 'le triple dragon' ages ago in France and, apart from setting things on fire and inhaling them, it wasn't that exciting. Pretty disgusting actually.

I know inhaling it's quite common but the specific drink... I tried to google it but http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6523054143 this is all I could find so I'm guessing it's not that common. But according to that it's vodka/absinthe/tabasco. The club/bar did it as their special drink upstairs.

Note; it definitely isn't the 'Green Dragon'

ReputationRep:
    I had it for the first time a few months ago when I went on holiday to Zante. Had a couple of shots of the 70% stuff, plus a couple of cocktails and felt very VERY drunk and had an awful hangover the next day!

You can get versions that are less strong, however if you really need to be able to function tomorrow, maybe drink something else? Or just have the one shot and see how you go with that?

ReputationRep:
    I used to drink absinthe all the time in Uni. I thought I was boheme cool. Lol. Plus making an absinthe in much more fun than making most drinks.

Its fine, just strong. It has a bad rep because its supposed to hallucinogenic properties, but that was from the wormwood, and I don't think they even put that in anymore.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit gross. And very strong, so take it easy. I'd say start with half a shot and see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    It tastes repulsive, like how i imagine nail varnish would taste. Make sure you mix it, and don't use too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Ditto, first time drinking, playing with a lot of spirits. I threw up a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    I might be partaking of the green fairy for the first time tonight and I was wondering how much of it I should drink so as not to get completely ****ed and end up sleeping in a rain-soaked gutter. Only I've got stuff to do tomorrow.
    it's just a strong drink like any other, proper absinthe is long gone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.