Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who joined since going to uni: Do you wish you'd been on TSR when applying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Definitely. :yep:

But this thread isn't about me - please, people, share stories.
    I've only discovered the wonders of TSR over the past few weeks when I should've been doing college work...

Personally, I don't think that looking at the TSR before applying would have made much difference to my final choices. Criminology as a single subject is surprisingly unpopular on here, and I only had maybe 20 universities to choose from (with 10 'realistic' choices) anyway, so I could make the decisions for myself. I'd also rather take my tutors' advice on universities, and reviews on whatuni.com rather than a load of trolls on here!

ReputationRep:
    I initially joined for help with my English literature coursework, but my threads never got any replies, :lol:

but yeah TSR has helped me quite a bit with my UCAS this year. Would I have struggled without TSR? I doubt it though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, my story is sort of the opposite to the examples that you're probably looking for, in that I was one of those people who couldn't decide which university to go for and asked on here what members thought- but then went against what the majority said anyway. Don't get me wrong, it was useful hearing what others had to say, because it then made me realise how personal choosing a university actually is, and (surprisingly!) TSR made me understand that it's not about league tables but about going to the place that suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had been on here when I was making my choices.. I didn't really understand much about unis at the time, and didn't realise how rubbish the ones I had picked were, apart from my first choice, so if I hadn't got in there I would have been stuffed!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I discovered TSR when I was already at uni and in my 20s, than if I'd discovered it as a 16/17 year old when I might have been intimidated by some of the stuff on here.

TSR is good in many ways for 6 formers but they also have to learn pretty quickly that many people on here are not here to give constructive advice, they are trying to slightly cyber bully people by making them feel like they aren't good enough, this happens especially on the university thing. Its easy if you've been rejected from Oxbridge or whatever and are secretly bitter about it, to set up an internet account as an Oxbridge troll, pretend you are there and talk down to people who didn't get in.

The big problem that I can see is some of the ambitious 6 formers want to go for Oxbridge/LSE etc, they join TSR, see all the banter about how those unis are great and if you go to a Russell Group Uni you are a comparative failure and so on. Then for some of these people they will get rejected by Oxbridge and end up at a different uni, and it means that rather than starting with the right attitude, they go into that uni thinking it's crap and thinking they deserve to be in a better place, they don't really want to be there, they feel like failures because of being picked on about it over the internet, and it might contribute to them not really giving it a fair crack before dropping out to 'reapply for Oxbridge'. You see this sort of situation on many threads in TSR.

In the real world I have NEVER seen anybody talk down to someone else about their institution or seen successful people banging on about it, but on TSR it happens all the time, which leads me to suspect that a lot of the people doing it don't quite have the academic background their cyber-space profile would suggest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    I wish I had been on here when I was making my choices.. I didn't really understand much about unis at the time, and didn't realise how rubbish the ones I had picked were, apart from my first choice, so if I hadn't got in there I would have been stuffed!
    But if you were happy with them when you applied, was it only TSR that made you unhappy?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. :haughty:
    But...why?

btw- i am on TSR, and im currently applying, and TSR has changed my opinion on a lot of unis i was applying/going to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    But...why?

btw- i am on TSR, and im currently applying, and TSR has changed my opinion on a lot of unis i was applying/going to apply to.
    Why what? Why did I reject them?

But is TSR changing your opinion good or bad?

ReputationRep:
    But if you were happy with them when you applied, was it only TSR that made you unhappy?
    Well I wouldn't have known they weren't very good.. I didn't know much about league tables or anything, and just applied to random unis near my home without thinking about which ones I could get into with my grades or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. :haughty:
    Do you not in anyway regret not going to LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Do you not in anyway regret not going to LSE?
    Not really. I mean, it's quite a nice uni and I do enjoy maths ... but I could have never got what I wanted from an LSE degree, so it's hard to regret not wasting all that money for a life I didn't want.

Prospective economist... Are you hoping to go there, or do already?

ReputationRep:
    There doesn't appear to be a lot of undergrads or graduates replying, so speaking as an applicant, I don't think TSR has been particularly influential on my choices, though to be fair I used this website very little when making my uni/subject choices. I think you need to know to do your own personal research and use university websites/contact them directly rather than cluttering this website with "Are my grades good enough?" threads.

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I'm glad I discovered TSR when I was already at uni and in my 20s, than if I'd discovered it as a 16/17 year old when I might have been intimidated by some of the stuff on here.

In the real world I have NEVER seen anybody talk down to someone else about their institution or seen successful people banging on about it, but on TSR it happens all the time, which leads me to suspect that a lot of the people doing it don't quite have the academic background their cyber-space profile would suggest...
    I agree that there is an alaarming amount of Oxbridge fondling on this site (come on people, they're not THAT great), but other than your description of TSR seems rather exaggerated. Speaking as an applicant, I think a lot of the advice you get on here, even from other applicants, is quite reasonable. I think you perhaps just have a different frame of reference, I see plenty of elitism among people I know "in the real world".

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't have based my uni options based on what folk on here said anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I joined after I'd received my offers but I already knew where I wanted to go. I wanted to ask questions about accommodation, but to be honest it wouldn't have changed my decision . I'm quite glad I wasn't on TSR when I applied because I would have been even more nervous in my Oxford interview when I realised everyone else who would be going had pretty much read 'Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire' and every other book under the sun about history, whereas I had only realised that history was what I really wanted to do a few months before I wrote my PS.

ReputationRep:
    Why what? Why did I reject them?

But is TSR changing your opinion good or bad?
    Why did you reject LSE?
    TSR is changing my opinion. Sometimes I'm happy that im on it. Other times are not, because ive stopped myself from applying to universities i thought i would like, and ive applied to unis just because i heard good things on TSR. I used TSR as a substitute for going to an open day lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    There doesn't appear to be a lot of undergrads or graduates replying, so speaking as an applicant, I don't think TSR has been particularly influential on my choices, though to be fair I used this website very little when making my uni/subject choices. I think you need to know to do your own personal research and use university websites/contact them directly rather than cluttering this website with "Are my grades good enough?" threads.
    I think you bring up a good point: it depends what you do as to whether or not it's a good idea. "Help - these are my grades and these are my unis, give me your opinion" might not be so good. However, for someone wondering whether a deferred entry is a good idea, it might be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I mean, it's quite a nice uni and I do enjoy maths ... but I could have never got what I wanted from an LSE degree, so it's hard to regret not wasting all that money for a life I didn't want.

Prospective economist... Are you hoping to go there, or do already?
    Yeah I just wanted to provide some help for like A level students wanting to do economics and whist at uni. I have been monitoring the last two years on TSR of applications and been observing Paulwhy etc. Bit of a hobby really, and love the subject lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Why did you reject LSE?
    TSR is changing my opinion. Sometimes I'm happy that im on it. Other times are not, because ive stopped myself from applying to universities i thought i would like, and ive applied to unis just because i heard good things on TSR. I used TSR as a substitute for going to an open day lol
    Because I want to become an optometrist, and there isn't a degree I can take at LSE to qualify myself.

You could apply to them anyway, TSR isn't directly linked to your UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying and kind of wish I weren't on TSR. Reading the English thread has made me spaz out and feel completely insecure, even though I'm applying having already achieved an A* in my chosen subject - madness!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Same here, sort of. I just applied to Keele because it was local and it seemed quite nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.