Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Box squat form critique (experts preferred) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which ME lowers would you recommend? Assuming you followed 3 week cycles ect

(Original post by MattGriff)
    Not the biggest fan of box squats

ReputationRep:
    Matt's not a fan of Westside, iirc.

Yeh when I talked to Matt about westside before he said he doesn't like it

Also, if you're raw, I don't think westside is a good idea - I tried it for a little, hated it, didn't get anywhere

Your box squats looked good to me. I have yet to see anyone box squat properly in my gym, they either but the box there for "safety" or they literally bounce off. I have heard one guy who failed a rep on the box squat say: "I stayed on the box too long, I should have bounced more."

Tate gives a real good explanation here

Again, I agree with matt, I don't like box squats either - but thats probably because I lift raw. I didn't seem to get carryover from them at all.

(Original post by redbuthotter)
        If you're really interested in following westside make sure you read the Book of Methods - Ill send it to you if you dont have it

Also if you want specific advice, get yourself over onto ukmuscle or myprotein forums, and give Martin Brown a private message, he's helped me with westside in the past

ReputationRep:
        Squats, pause squats, front squats, power cleans, hack squats, trap bar deadlifts etc

One of the issues with box squats for me is to have such weight on your back and to be sitting down further compressing the spine etc

And no, I'm not a fan of westside and I think it can over complicate things and is far beeter suited to kit whoring that raw lifting.

ReputationRep:
        Quick obvious question.... WS4SB.... thats the one I'm loosely following, is that the one that you guys are referring to as well? If we're on the same page, matt/commandment/nun/ect..

What good PL programmes are there for novice that have decent amounts of BB thrown in...

I always reckoned they were about the same

1 or 2 heavy compounds, then a few other BB exercises thrown in, with the aim of increasing something week to week (reps or weight)

ReputationRep:
        So no one here has had good results from box squatting.... as far as carry over for the other 2 squats go?

ReputationRep:
        Quick obvious question.... WS4SB.... thats the one I'm loosely following, is that the one that you guys are referring to as well? If we're on the same page, matt/commandment/nun/ect..

What good PL programmes are there for novice that have decent amounts of BB thrown in...

I always reckoned they were about the same

1 or 2 heavy compounds, then a few other BB exercises thrown in, with the aim of increasing something week to week (reps or weight)
        http://muscleandbrawn.com/layne-nort...d-hypertrophy/
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        So no one here has had good results from box squatting.... as far as carry over for the other 2 squats go?
        I did box squats for four months and it had no carryover to regular squats. I'd say that they were a complete waste of time when I could have just continued with regular squats.

redhotbutter, in my opinion if you're eating like a bodybuilder you'll grow like one too.

Just do your main compounds, and accessory work, eat well and you'll be sorted

ReputationRep:
          To squat alot you have to squat alot.

There are some **** strong oly lifters out there who just do squats, cleans, pulls fronties etc.

Give me an oly lifter training for two years and a powerlifter with the same training time (same weight and all other things being equal) and I would put a fair sum of money on it that the oly lifter could squat more and probably deadlift more - and bench alot less.

ReputationRep:
          I've box squatted with the same form i use when in my suit and got some carryover. I also use them to sort my form out so ill be using them after xmas in the run up to my comps in Feb and April.

As far as carryover to other forms of squat, not so much.

ReputationRep:
          Box squat? Never done it, dont like the idea of sitting down with 160-180kg though. I stick to front squats and back squats. Way I increase my squat? By doing more squats. Ya rly

ReputationRep:
          I like squatting, too busy this week though, will read through the westside stuff then decide what to try. I assumed box squatting was the next step for powerlifting...

Not sure what to try..... I want to increase PL totals and get bigger, doubt programme matters that much.

As a guide I've done... in this order

SS - 9 months
          WS4SB - 6 months
          Bill stars - 3 months
          smolov jr front squat - 1 month
          WS4SB - 2 months

Quite enjoy WS4SB.... not sure if its best for what I want though. Opinions?

ReputationRep:
          Form still feels ****,

How are these? Don't really get how your supposed to sit furthur back without losing balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsPKAf6jls

ps back feels fine.

sounds like you're coming lol

they look ok to me

how many days a week are you looking to train? There's plenty of decent programs about. 5/3/1 might be decent for you, you can tailor the assistance exercises so that you have a bit of bodybuilding stuff in there too (if thats what you want)

I can send 5/3/1 if you need it lol

ReputationRep:
            3 - 4 days a week, looking to lift heavy often, focus on bench and squat (not a fan of deadlift personally) hmm yeah 5/3/1 is one of the few things I've read nothing about - what are the fundamentals?

Looking to stall on WS4SB then switch (I'm getting PB's on oly squat, front squat and now box when I switch back to oly I'll see how heavy 150 trip - 5 feels) ,ok progress though I'm not sticking to the template that strictly

(Original post by commandant)
            sounds like you're coming lol

they look ok to me

how many days a week are you looking to train? There's plenty of decent programs about. 5/3/1 might be decent for you, you can tailor the assistance exercises so that you have a bit of bodybuilding stuff in there too (if thats what you want)

I can send 5/3/1 if you need it lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.