Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students. You have nothing to worry about. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    OP said flipping burgers, not working at McD.
    And what do McDonald's do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    It's still nothing if you're working and earning a decent wage. Just think of the **** that working people buy week-in week-out; **** they don't need, **** that the tv ads tells them to buy.

Besides, I almost treble £7 in rent per week, and I'm on JSA. I'd love to pay just £7 per week.
    Sorry, are you saying you pay £21 per week in rent?? As in abbout £84 per month? Where on earth do you live? My partner and I pay £675 per month for a 1 bedroom flat....

As a graduate, I can tell you the money you pay back is f*** all, you really won't notice it. I paid back once I was earning over £15000, I earned about £24k per year and was paying £60 per month ish. Compared to tax, NI, and rent etc it just pales in to insignificance.

The only difference is people will be paying back for a lot longer than I will be, and a lot of people just won't ever pay back what they owe.

ReputationRep:
    £7 per week (or per month according to my Libdem friend) is nothing or very little (compared to) when you are earning over £21,000 per annum. How many students are going to be earning over that threshold? And if these students can't find those desireable jobs, they'll have to take those jobs with lower pay which means that they won't be paying anything back. They may even get their debts erased as the years (or even months!) pass-by or when they have settled in a lower-paid job.

I don't understand why these students are rising up against these fees when there are millions of people all around the world who find themselves in far greater FAR GREATER crises that just makes this £7 per week look like a....
    One thing. Let's say the majority of students stay under that threshold, what happens to that money which was shelled out for the places in the first place? Because someone's got to pay it back otherwise it's just going to add to the debt. £30,000 may not seem like a lot but then couple it with longer courses (Medicine, Architecture etc) and you've instantly got money piling up, then multiply that by the amount of students who are unsuccessful in going over the £21,000 wage threshold and you've got huge debt.

For those that have managed it, yeah £7 might not seem a lot per week but if you're just fractionally over that and you've got other bills/taxes/expenses to pay, then all you do is shove those guys back down to the bottom and lumber them with debt.

ReputationRep:
    And?
    Nothing really. Just made me giggle.

ReputationRep:
    People are mainly protesting about the fact that Nick Clegg lied not over the actual rises. Which is definitely something to protest over.

ReputationRep:
    It's still nothing if you're working and earning a decent wage. Just think of the **** that working people buy week-in week-out; **** they don't need, **** that the tv ads tells them to buy.

Besides, I almost treble £7 in rent per week, and I'm on JSA. I'd love to pay just £7 per week.
    You pay £21 quid a week in rent?????????????

Im paying £150 and i have a single room? Where do you live? Nigeria?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    Sorry, are you saying you pay £21 per week in rent?? As in abbout £84 per month? Where on earth do you live? My partner and I pay £675 per month for a 1 bedroom flat....

As a graduate, I can tell you the money you pay back is f*** all, you really won't notice it. I paid back once I was earning over £15000, I earned about £24k per year and was paying £60 per month ish. Compared to tax, NI, and rent etc it just pales in to insignificance.

The only difference is people will be paying back for a lot longer than I will be, and a lot of people just won't ever pay back what they owe.
    Something to do with the LHA Anniversary review. Basically, your HB allowance is reviewed. My rent is £100 per week but I only get £80.25 per week HB because I am unemployed. So I have to find £21 out of my already stretched finances. I cannot afford this and so next month or the months after I will be homeless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    You pay £21 quid a week in rent?????????????

Im paying £150 and i have a single room? Where do you live? Nigeria?
    Take into consideration that I'm not earning a wage.

ReputationRep:
    I've scalled back and come off Virginmedia broadband. I'm on a 3 network dongle. £10 per month allowance. I hope you don't expect me to live in isolation. Without the internet I could not contact my friends, apply for jobs, do research in the comfort of my own home where I tend to be more productive in organising my life. You wanna take that away from me over the cost of £10 per month?
    I'm not taking anything away from you...

ReputationRep:
    Cool story bro.

£7 per week (or per month according to my Libdem friend) is nothing or very little (compared to) when you are earning over £21,000 per annum. How many students are going to be earning over that threshold? And if these students can't find those desireable jobs, they'll have to take those jobs with lower pay which means that they won't be paying anything back. They may even get their debts erased as the years (or even months!) pass-by or when they have settled in a lower-paid job.

I don't understand why these students are rising up against these fees when there are millions of people all around the world who find themselves in far greater FAR GREATER crises that just makes this £7 per week look like a....
      - The only reason the threshold has been raised is to disguise 273% rises to fees. What is the issue with FAIR fees? reasonable fees? Whats so important that means Government GREED can take precedence.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hg345)
      People are mainly protesting about the fact that Nick Clegg lied not over the actual rises. Which is definitely something to protest over.
      yeah but aren't people smart enough to understand it's a coalition in which the tories have the majority as a result the lib dems must compromise to keep the coalition goverment going

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
      - The only reason the threshold has been raised is to disguise 273% rises to fees. What is the issue with FAIR fees? reasonable fees? Whats so important that means Government GREED can take precedence.
      So, which would you rather have? A free NHS, or £3000 tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
      ever heard of national debt the goverment can't keep paying for things it doesn't have the money and the terms of the increase are pretty reasonable £7 a week once you earn over £21000 is not a lot

ReputationRep:
      I'm getting tired of seeing and hearing about these tuition fee cuts and student protests.

THERE ARE BIGGER THINGS GOING ON IN THE WORLD

Yes. There are.

Ok. Granted that this is a student forum, but look:

You won't have to pay any of the debt unless when you leave University, you start top earn over £21,000 per annum.

It's not that bad. How many of these students are going to be earning that amount when they find that upon leaving their education they'll be tossing burgers at a fast food chain, pulling pints at the local, or sat behind a till in T.J.Hughes? Or even unemployed?

How many?

Even if you do get that kind of salary, it's only £7 per month. Granted for a long time, but that debt can be written off, apparently.

WHAT IS THE FUSS ABOUT?

At this present moment, I find myself unable to eat properly or afford decent clothing, worried about my own debt problems, baliffs turning up at the door, court charges, unable to put the gas on, rent increase next month and I'll have to find somewhere else to live because I can't afford the rent anymore.

I've not gone to the local council and protested about my rent no longer getting paid in full. I've not phoned British Gas to complain about the rise in fuel prices. I haven't stormed the local supermarket demanding to stop rising food prices.

Seriously. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

bit insensitive, clearly you are not one to worry about debts.

(Original post by CitizensUnited)
        So, which would you rather have? A free NHS, or £3000 tuition fees?
        I never said I was opposed to ANY tuition fees did I?

(Original post by littleangel9914)
          ever heard of national debt the goverment can't keep paying for things it doesn't have the money and the terms of the increase are pretty reasonable £7 a week once you earn over £21000 is not a lot
          So why dont they pay their share? Those who paid NOTHING for their fees? 40,000 pounds taking into account everything a Student pays for IS A LOT and I'm astonished anyone can say its pittance really - how about FAIR fees where people pay FAIR prices - How anyone can refute it is beyond me. GOVERNMENT GREED is why students will pay 273% more - simple as.

ReputationRep:
          I never said I was opposed to ANY tuition fees did I?
          However, you were complaining about the increase in tuition fees. We currently pay £3000 / year for tuition fees.
          Or are you proposing free university education for everybody?

(Original post by CitizensUnited)
            However, you were complaining about the increase in tuition fees. Have you noticed that we currently pay £3000 / year for tuition fees?
            Or are you proposing free university education for everybody?
            I dont mind FAIR fees - which is what I see at the moment, we pay our fair share if we decide to go to Uni - and we quite rightly pay it back when we earn a set wage. FAIR fees I dont have a problem with!!!

ReputationRep:
            Yes. Having a student loan more akin to a mortgage is lovely. Paying £7 a month means it will take longer to pay back, earning more and more interest so if you actually ever get a decent wage, you will lose most of it to pay off the loan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.