Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The only sport I really like is rock climbing. It's impossible to do in london, so I do no sports.

Personally, I hate sports because it reminds me of PE lessons: over-competitiveness, being knocked to the ground and hit in the head in netball and football, expectation to understand rules no-one ever explained to me, and feeling like an idiot for having terrible hand-eye coordination (especially when class glares at you).

Hence, I avoid sports like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I skip in my kitchen, poor excuse :rolleyes:
    But I would question whether skipping is really a sport...? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Does dance count as a sport?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Why? I always figured its because sport is full of aggression, that sheer competitiveness to strive to be the best or win a few extra yards and pure physical endeavour which just isn't part of many a woman's make up. They're more into nurturing and caring

I realize there are women athletes and fans but they are in such a minority, e.g. at my gym there was one woman there today and about 15 guys, at my boxing club they have 3 girls on their cards, rest are guys, every time I go to old trafford women probably compromise of about 1% of the people sat around me. In America for every one woman who watches sport there are 3 men etc etc

Why is this? Is what I think right?

I wanna hear from some girls (and guys, don't worry your opinion counts too)

Also does this have any implications? e.g. why they're under represented in business etc
    I don't like it because I find it boring, and I'm asthmatic. I do like certain sports though, like horseriding and iceskating.

It's nothing to do with agression and competetiveness - anyone who knows me knows I can be both! And I'm not really butch or anything, I'm a short-ish, femenine, girly girl. So stereotypes don't work on this very well.

Oh, also, a lot of female athletes have no boobs. I have quite shapely boobs, and I'm scared if I do too much sport, they'll shrink. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellybee)
    But I would question whether skipping is really a sport...? :rolleyes:
    It's part of conditioning for boxing, duh, and good cardio

(Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    Does dance count as a sport?
    Dance is more an art

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    How do you find Krav Maga?
    Im really looking at learning it, it looks awesome.
    It's hard when you start out especially if you aren't aggressive or determined but it gets progressively easier I think. You stop flinching as much and find out the hard way that patience pays off. If you think a blow is going to hurt, it will kill. If you take it as it is then it's just one of many patdowns. Be prepared to get flipped like a rag-doll by your instructor in the first week though. They like to make examples of you if you're not on point.

On the whole I like it. Hurts a bit sometimes but I kinda like pain.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    :eek:

Kick ass. :five:

:five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Why? I always figured its because sport is full of aggression, that sheer competitiveness to strive to be the best or win a few extra yards and pure physical endeavour which just isn't part of many a woman's make up. They're more into nurturing and caring

I realize there are women athletes and fans but they are in such a minority, e.g. at my gym there was one woman there today and about 15 guys, at my boxing club they have 3 girls on their cards, rest are guys, every time I go to old trafford women probably compromise of about 1% of the people sat around me. In America for every one woman who watches sport there are 3 men etc etc

Why is this? Is what I think right?

I wanna hear from some girls (and guys, don't worry your opinion counts too)

Also does this have any implications? e.g. why they're under represented in business etc
    You're an actual moron.
    Millions of women like sport... Just many of us don't like the same sports as men... which is why you have this ridiculous stereotype that women don't like sport... we just generally like different sports to guys.

The difference between women who like sport and men who like sport is that the majority of women who like sport actually PARTICIPATE in it.... But on the male side, e.g. football, the majority of football fans don't actually play sport but sit on their backsides drinking beer and WATCHING the sport.

And you talk about competitiveness? I'm very very competitive and I'm a woman.

What you think is so very wrong....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Dance is more an art
    In that case.
    I don't like sports other than dance, because i would rather watch boys running around playing a sport e.g. rugby Than actually do exercise myself :/ - makes me sound lazy but i promise im not lol

ReputationRep:
    cuz deyre busy cookin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmentile)
    You're an actual moron.
    Millions of women like sport... Just many of us don't like the same sports as men... which is why you have this ridiculous stereotype that women don't like sport... we just generally like different sports to guys.

The difference between women who like sport and men who like sport is that the majority of women who like sport actually PARTICIPATE in it.... But on the male side, e.g. football, the majority of football fans don't actually play sport but sit on their backsides drinking beer and WATCHING the sport.

What are these sports?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like sport because I'm nerdy. I've never been good at it and I find it boring. That's why. I can be quite aggressive, but I just don't like sports. I know loads of girls who love sport, I'm the odd one out. It has nothing to do with gender stereotypes such as 'caring' and 'nurturing' ... I love competing when it comes to academics , but I just don't like sports.

I find no entertainment in watching people run after a ball. It's more fun playing it though.

ReputationRep:
    I just find it very hard to care what team wins. I am competetive, but only in things where the outcome actually matters (e.g year ranking at uni). When watching sport (or even playing it), the outcome of the game isn't really going to have any particular positive or negative outcomes for me so I find it hard to care, and without that there isnt much to enjoy about watching sport.

ReputationRep:
    You're an actual moron.

You really blew his competitive point out of the water using yourself as an example, well done.

Just using my corridor as an example, out of about 20 lads, 2 or 3 don't play sport. Same number of girls, it is probably 2 or 3 play sport. Even so, I am sure lots of girls do play sport, just nobody seems to care that much .

ReputationRep:
    Because we're supposed to be dainty and feminine and sport is meant for our big strong husbands. That's why we can only play tag rugby instead of the real thing, and we can't play sports with the boys.

(Just to clarify, I don't actually support these things)

ReputationRep:
    And before I forget, in my case all the girls hated sports because my P.E. teacher was a fat lesbian bully. Breaststroke isn't just a technical term in swimming y'know. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    It's part of conditioning for boxing, duh, and good cardio
    Doesn't really make it a sport though does it... kind of like saying sit-ups are a sport... my argument is valid, dont 'duh' me!

On a slightly more relevant note, I hate sport because I've been brought up to hate it. My parents hate it, my brothers hate it, my sisters hate it, if I had a dog it would hate it. I exercise because i have to, not because I get any joy from it at all. I am a highly competitive person, but I would rather forgo a victory than get all sweaty and dishevelled looking. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    You're an actual moron.

And you're a condescending fool, I said some women do like and take part in sport, just that the majority don't, to argue this is ridiculous. I was careful in that post to point out that there are exceptions, you just started raging and decided to insult me and ignore that instead. If you calmed down a bit and weren't so aggressive you might make a bit more headway

As for participation, that always drops with age, anyone looking into a primary school playground could tell you this. At my primary school every single boy played football at lunch time, without exception, every single day. As they got older some of them stopped because they weren't very good at it. A lot of men still watch football as they can relate to those childhood dreams of scoring for their favourite teams etc and this isn't particularly ingrained in female culture

Again I'm sure there are competitive women, female rowers at my uni were competitive, the proportion of women competing in sports are lower than men, so what I think is not wrong in most cases unless you can show me a study or statistics that point to another conclusion

I could for example look at the first thing that comes in google when i type in women vs men sport participation, and these graphs

brb watching match of the day with beer in hand

ReputationRep:

Is there proof for that though? I am 27 now and rarely actually come across a male footie fan as extreme as the media portrays them, in fact have met more FEMALE footy fans who watch the game and they drink too but none seem to be ladettes.

Every gym I have been to has far more men than women, same for swimming pools, even mountain climbing I have noticed more men.

There is certain stigma on both sexes about certain sports, at school they would not allow boys to do netball but girls were allowed to to do football, all that happened was that when girls had netball class boys had extra football classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It's just dire and pointless.

No reason why, as such, I just have no interest in it.

Take football - what is it? It's men running around a pitch trying to get a ball in a net. Why? How could watching 90 mins of that be interesting?

I like individual sports, like track and swimming, but team sports are boringggggg.
    Playing sports especially football for me..well I've never felt more alive.. scoring a winner in the 90th minute with all your mates running at you screaming. You can't explain it and I think that people who just say sports are boring are those who've never given it a proper go. I'd be curious as to what you find interesting .. soaps?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.