The Student Room Group

Most enigmatic/fascinating country

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LaughingBro
China, South Korea and Japan :smile:

^ Emboldened Japan because, although all 3 completely fascinate me, Japan is the one I'm most interested in. East Asian countries are so fundamentally different to England and the culture difference is so huge that I constantly find myself wanting to know more and to experience their way of life.
Original post by thefutile
^ Emboldened Japan because, although all 3 completely fascinate me, Japan is the one I'm most interested in. East Asian countries are so fundamentally different to England and the culture difference is so huge that I constantly find myself wanting to know more and to experience their way of life.

Japan (and maybe Somalian pirate villages) is the only place on earth where you can feel really foreign :smile:
Reply 22
Japan, definitely enigmatic and fascinating!
I will be working there soon!
Reply 23
Original post by Organ
If you read about Peter the Great, read this book http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Great-Robert-K-Massie/dp/0345336194 it's quite long but absolutely excellent :tongue:

Cheers :borat:, just ordered it- this will bring my books on Russia up to seven although admittedly except this only one (Natasha's Dance: A cultural history of Russia by Figes) is related to pre-20th century Russian history :P
Reply 24
China. Although I've never gotten round to reading about it, it fascinates me.
I like Russia, although I prefer pre-USSR Russia. I've studied Stalin for too long.
The Middle East. Because, it's actually quite interesting.
The Indian Subcontinent; there's some rich history in there (and a series of invasions).
And the list will go on. I'm an easily fascinated person, and most countries have an interesting story to tell.
Reply 25
Japan hands down.

A beautiful country with a fascinating history; with all the Samurai and the battling between feudal warlords. Quite like the language too, very interesting and i love the way Japanese people use various phrases and facial expressians to convey different messages.
North Korea at the moment, I'm completely fascinated by it..

..also Japan and China.
Reply 27
Brazil- Very diverse geography and culture. It has a good history too.

Japan- Probably the most modernised country, but it still keeps its old traditions. Also, ninjas & samurais ftw.

North Korea - I just want to know how the average person lives their life there.
Have any of you Japanophiles actually lived in Japan?
Papua New Guinea.
Reply 30
Thanks for the replies so far guys :smile:
Reply 31
Russia, Japan, China, Ancient rome & Greece.
Reply 32
Cuba

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending