Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fox brutally attacks my neighbour's Cat (sounded horrendous) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Animals are animals, they fight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    This! If you had actually startled the fox he would have buggered off and left the cat (speaking from experience).
    Get off TSR, get the neighbours up and go investigate.

Poor kitty

(Original post by Kay :))
    :O Ohmygoodness.

What area of the United Kingdom is this!?
    Ealing borough (border of Hammersmith borough)! West London. I'm shocked because I just never thought pets were in the slightest danger like that. Naive me...

It was 1.10am in the morning and we have no idea who the cat belongs to for sure. Our garden borders with three gardens, so its hard to tell.

ReputationRep:
    lol I know that sound exactly, it's bloody terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Ealing borough (border of Hammersmith borough)! West London. I'm shocked because I just never thought pets were in the slightest danger like that. Naive me...

It was 1.10am in the morning and we have no idea who the cat belongs to for sure. The way we border with three gardens.
    Wow man. That is so shocking. I never knew this existed until this thread :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    You may be right about this but do you have a source? I'm really tired but since you don't get hunts in the city would it really make that much of a difference to species numbers in cities? I suppose if they felt the country was getting a bit crowded...
    No hunting = breeding with no natural predator. I dont have a source and doubt there are any real stats about it, but living in the suburbs I can say its 100% right. I see things on the news about foxes attacking babies and stuff, never saw that 5 years ago...

ReputationRep:
    Around 10 minutes ago my mother was in the garden. When she overheard the most horrendous sound. The thuds against our garden fence were unfortunately matched by screams from a cat. It was horrible. Moments later the sickening growls from the fox stopped and so did the thuds. Next came the whimpering cries from the cat. Those cries slowly died down... :eek:

Should we have alerted our neighbours by waking them up? I fell terrible for not doing anything!!! :ashamed2:

I've never heard of foxes attacking Cats before. Did some research and supposedly it is very rare...

Still, lock your fences and protect your pets people!
    Not to show off, but I've seen my cat kicking a fox's a**. I've trained him well...

ReputationRep:
    They are going to be in for surprise in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    No hunting = breeding with no natural predator. I dont have a source and doubt there are any real stats about it, but living in the suburbs I can say its 100% right. I see things on the news about foxes attacking babies and stuff, never saw that 5 years ago...
    Yes, but they should still be limited by food supply. We were also told in our ecology lectures last year that the reason there are now more of them in towns is because it's easier to scavenge from bins and so on than it is to chase down a rabbit. That could also explain the rise in attacks, as foxes move into more populated areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I'm sure I read somewhere that it's because of the snow, and it's harder for them to find food. Or something... Maybe it wanted the poor cat for it's dinner? :sadnod:
    Or maybe that particular fox just hated that particular cat, a grudge maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, foxes are brutal! Lift the hunting ban, Dave.

ReputationRep:

My friend's cat died from a fox attack.

Why the hell didn't you alert your neighbours when you heard it? Or at least startle the fox? Common sense??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
    Foxes are a menace, feed them to the hounds I say.
    So are cats. More wild animals are killed by the huge domestic cat population than domestic cats are by wild animals.

ReputationRep:
    Man that Mother Nature is a *****!!!!

**** happens. Dog eat dog (fox eat cat) etc.

It's a jungle out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    I don't get why people are making such a big fuss. Obviously if it was a dog, you should have told the neighbour but it's just a cat. Cats are lost and killed all the time because although they're domesticated they pretty much lead a wild life since they're let out alone.

Besides it's not like you can love a cat like you can a dog.
    Oh stfu that is a complete ignorant and incorrect statement to make.

ReputationRep:
    Almost every night I hear these really alien shrieking noises..
    When I look out of the window I see cats and foxes in the road..

I've always wondered why they make those noises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    So are cats. More wild animals are killed by the huge domestic cat population than domestic cats are by wild animals.
    are they, wow are they really ?

ReputationRep:
    Around 10 minutes ago my mother was in the garden. When she overheard the most horrendous sound. The thuds against our garden fence were unfortunately matched by screams from a cat. It was horrible. Moments later the sickening growls from the fox stopped and so did the thuds. Next came the whimpering cries from the cat. Those cries slowly died down... :eek:

Should we have alerted our neighbours by waking them up? I fell terrible for not doing anything!!! :ashamed2:

I've never heard of foxes attacking Cats before. Did some research and supposedly it is very rare...

Still, lock your fences and protect your pets people!
    Whilst it isn't nice, you may take some comfort in that the fox doesn't show any signs that it's a moral agent. It's doubtful that it knows what it's actions mean in the same context that we do. And even though it caused the cat a great deal of pain, we can't be sure of it's intentions.

I think you should take a box, and put the cat in it (presuming it's deceased) and make it look as presentable as you can, so that it'll cause the neighbours the least shock.
    Then I'd ring the door bell and let them know (giving them the box afterwards).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
    are they, wow are they really ?
    Yes. They're known to damage wild populations, especially birds.

ReputationRep:
    Those darn animals, doing animal-y things! Can't get my damned sleep at night...oh, that's just my house mate.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was revenge on the cat for killing the fox's friend - the field mouse. The plot thickens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.