Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to see a point and purpose in life Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggy88)
    To OP, there are many ways you will change your life. As already said if you have children you will love them, and may see in them a purpose to live and enjoy the gift kids are. Many people have felt totally empty inside them without knowing what they are doing here eventhough they were "doctors" or what ever.

Plus, why do we have religions! My PERSONAL view is that we are here to make something that will help us on our journey. For example you go to school then college, then Uni and finally to work. And all that to statisfy your self, be happy and grow as a person. In the same way, as many people believe in one of the 5 big worldreligions, you are here to achieve something that will help you in the afterlife.

As mentioned before the second part is my personal view and if you are really keen about and don't want to think about all this afterlife thing.. then just try to live for the moment and know ! Make yourself happy now !
    see i'd agree with you about there being different stages of life and we have to enjoy life etc. if as i said we were all given a particular amount of time to live. but life is so unpredictable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabebrit)
    i'm not saying i want to commit suicide. but I just don't see the point in life tbh..for everyone.
    That's pretty cynical. Everyone has their own agenda for what they want to get out of life. Eventually, someone else will come along (who you're attracted to) who has the same agenda as you do. Only then will you realise that life's pretty damn good.

This is a bold statement, but I wonder if you've ever been in a relationship before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    That's pretty cynical. Everyone has their own agenda for what they want to get out of life. Eventually, someone else will come along (who you're attracted to) who has the same agenda as you do. Only then will you realise that life's pretty damn good.

This is a bold statement, but I wonder if you've ever been in a relationship before?
    yes i have. just one though. and i'm 21

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    I wondered about exactly this for quite some time. I came to the realisation that humanity is just the same as a plant or a parasite - it isn't purposeful, it does not have direction or intention. It just is because it is.

Does it matter? No. The majority of people find it enjoyable. That's all you need. Life is temporary, and eventually any way you impact the world, no matter how strongly (even Einstein and Martin Luther King), it will eventually come to nothing. It will be as if you never were. Does this matter? No.
    Just live for the enjoyment and try to increase the enjoyment of life for those around you. That's all the 'point and purpose' we need.
    Reflections = reflected.

There is not much point. However, you have to learn it. That's the start of earning it. When you earn it, you find satisfaction and with that, comes some sort of purpose that you bring to your own existence. 'It' can be anything ranging from say, Hinduism to animal psychology to concepts/foundations behind a specific kind of music you find yourself interested in/liking to your bowel movements. So much to learn, so many conversations to have, so many ideas to share.

Have fun living, thread starter.

ReputationRep:
    life is a joke,death is the punchline.

your purpose in life is indeed what you make of it as someone in this thread previously said.you may aswell make the most of it with it being so short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabebrit)
    i'm not saying i want to commit suicide. but I just don't see the point in life tbh..for everyone.
    I suppose that's something you can make up for yourself. Say if it was something like 'you must have lasagne at some point in life', then the rest of life would be like it is now. Without the lasagne rule...
    So, if life feels meaningless, make up your own rule. Even if it's a pointless thing to do, make it something which will give you an experience on the way.
    Noone knows the meaning of life, but giving yourself goals that will make you feel like you have a purpose might help.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you selfish person.

ReputationRep:
    None really, in 200 years everyone who is alive now will be dead. Humanity tends towards the present - that what is happening to one now is the most important thing to ever happen in the world.

DO what you want to do and follow your desires. Shouldn't be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    Why does there have to be a 'point', why can't you just enjoy yourself?

ReputationRep:
    eat a cookie. You'll feel better

ReputationRep:
    The point of life is to spend each day making another persons life better! We currently do a thing at my church called "agents" where our mission each week is to make another persons life better keep going do your thing and I hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    Nasty comment no need for it

ReputationRep:
    Have as much fun as possible. Do some good. Avoid as much angst as possible. Pass some of your genes on so some of what you are can do the same. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    This thread reminds me of Obito Uchiha and Naruto 😶

Just had to put that out there.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You can love your parents, love your wife, love your children and give them happiness.

Can you help people, do kind things, give a kind word, smile, support, encouragement.

There are plenty of amazing movies you are yet to see, inspiring books to read, great music to hear and amazing places yet to visit!

Don't forget the TV shows!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.