Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh my.. God. You're absolutely right. Kill yourself right now.

Edit: The above is a joke and said in extreme sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    Your entire family is going to die one day. Why can't I just kill them now?

ReputationRep:
    From a religious point of view- Life is sacred, and suicide is taking a sacred element before it's time.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Like everything, there's another way to look at this.

Suicide is also a way of showing you have the strength to do something about it when you're in a bad position.

I have been through some sh*t, and sometimes people tell me about how I'm strong and they respect that. But they're wrong - the only reason I am still alive is because I was too weak to do myself in when things got tough. I let it happen to me, and did not take the only way out of the situation. What right do I have to complain about what happened to me when I didn't solve the problem, despite knowing the solution?

To the OP, I agree.
    Our bodies are the only thing which always should belong to us, no matter what the circumstances. Society does not agree, they want to control your own body. They prevent you from putting drugs into it, you can be sectioned for harming it too badly, and everyone will abandon you should you want to kill it.
    My body is my own. I don't appreciate society and gov't deciding that they in fact own my body.
    I agree. I don't find many people who understand my point of view about suicide so it's refreshing to read this.

Life just sometimes isn't worth living.

(Original post by mrnightcat)
    Governments and medical authorities most often all conform to the one view that suicide is something that should be prevented under all circumstances, and thus you get what other users have described above as the loss of the right to control your own body in whatever way you like. Suicide is stigmatised in almost any official way - even the name paints it as something assumed wrong - to commit suicide; suicide victim.

I've always been an open supporter of the right to end one's own life, but at the same time what I think is most important is that a person is emotionally mature enough to handle such a concept and decision. How can we tell that? We can't, and sometimes we can't even if we are that person, so it creates a lot of grey areas regarding whether it seems right or wrong. I don't think personally there is a right or wrong when it comes to suicide.

To give a crude, simple example, to me it would seem absurd for a young person, who still has a lot to learn in life, to commit suicide on the eve of breaking up from a relationship, whether it was long or short. That's an example of someone making an unfortunate and rash decision without giving themselves time to think about anything properly. On the other hand, someone young or old, who has taken a lot of time and thought into making the decision, feels that either they are already satisfied by everything they've gone through in life or feels they have gone through so much that they'd rather not continue, makes the decision to end his/her life. This person makes sure to carefully tie up loose ends in relationships and let everyone important know how they should feel about this person. This is a person who is mature and should not be criticised for making the decision.

There are also things that trigger people to commit suicide. If someone has been depressed for a long time, has made efforts to move his/her world to make things better, but in the end suffers a huge emotional blow and decides enough is enough, how can we blame this person? Humans don't have the ridiculous optimism of Hollywood movies and teenage fiction. This is different to the relationship example I wrote before. Someone I knew was going through awful depression but making every effort to pull through it with her boyfriend and her very supportive friends. After becoming pregnant, she felt she could really make a new start and help herself, but then the miscarriage came. It was the last straw, and she sadly decided she couldn't go on anymore and start everything again. It's this sort of suicide that makes people feel the deepest sadness and regret - that despite everyone pulling together to help, the outcome still ends tragically. This is sad because it happened, but people should not feel they carry responsibility for not preventing it. Nothing of this was the fault of the person who died, or the people who tried to help.

But you know, suicide isn't always a product of misery. For someone who has tied up all loose ends in their life, decided on the action carefully, and really feels it is what they consciously want to do, do you think they feel miserable? Not everyone walks off that bridge with tears and total melancholy. Governments and medical authorities, for the reason of sticking to the 'prevailing morality' as such, could not accept that the decision to commit suicide could be a conscious, sensible or even positive decision to some. People don't realise that some people who decide to end their lives do so feeling relieved, philosophically satisfied with their decision, and having a genuine optimism about leaving the world. I know because I've known people like this. Doctors and psychiatrists either refuse to accept that a person could think that way, or that thinking in such a way is some form of delusion requiring treatment. And then people wonder why some people adamently refuse to find 'help'.

To sum up this post, I do not believe in a right or wrong when it comes to suicide. There is prepared and unprepared, emotionally mature and immature, foresight and impulse (impluse not necessarily being immature), and finally, optimism and acceptance, and melancholy depression as two ends of a wide spectrum.
    Excellent post. 100% agree.

I've been through hell recently, literally everything you can think of went wrong - very serious health problems, lost job, lost partner, family issues, no money etc. A few weeks ago I would've happily walked off that bridge with a big smile on my face because, in that period of my life, I was happy to stop living. My physical health has since improved and I'm not plagued by suicidal thoughts anymore but I know that I am stable enough to make a rational and sensible decision as to when life really is so unbearably bad that suicide is a good solution.

ReputationRep:
    why you want to check out early of a 5 star hotel?

ReputationRep:
    It is wrong because all your family and friends are going to think is "He wasn't happy enough with us."
    If I had a boyfriend who decided to kill himself, I'd be devastated, knowing I couldn't make him happy enough to stay alive, with me. Same with members of the family.
    This is selfish, and stupid.
    People aint afraid of Death itself, they fear the death of their close friends or relatives. Because of the pain it causes and the thought of not seeing them anymore.
    Basically if you kill yourself you're just hurting people you love and who are close to you. If you can't see that it means you're a selfish *******.
    I'm sorry, but I have a very close friend who has thoughts about killing himself and everytime he mentions it I'm doing my best to make him feel guilty because thats the only way I won't lose him.
    So yes, it's selfish. Just face it. And weak. You fight, you don't give up.

Speaking as someone whose boyfriend has a fierce struggle with depression and has attempted suicide multiple times throughout our year long relationship, and damn near succeeded recently and ended up comatose for a month, my views on this are kind of mixed. On the one hand, it hurts me so much to know that he's in such a state of mind that he wants to end his life and I'm so emphatic because it must be awful for him as he can't help feeling this way. But on the other, sometimes it actually makes me angry because of the way it makes his family and myself feel and I wish he'd just man up and stop causing us all this grief.

So yes, I think it is wrong because natural death is very, very different to wanting to die. A natural death is "Oh, whoops, I died, I didn't mean that" whereas suicide is "Everything went better than expected". Hypothetically of course, haha. But for some people, suicide could actually be the only choice for them, or at least they feel it is. I'm really torn on this subject because my morality is contradicting with my personal experiences. Argh.

ReputationRep:
    stupid ethical question, this is why RE should be scrapped as a gcse and a level

do something useful! more maths and the sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    very well said.

OP is stupid and trying to be a philosophical scholar on TSR

ReputationRep:
    Because the "someday" might not be today. Let nature take its course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabebrit)
    Why is suicide wrong? We're all going to die.some of us just want to die earlier than others. You say think of your family and friends who will be devastated if you commit suicide..will they be jumping for joy if I died a natural death?
    I only disagree with suicide if you have children. Then it is quite selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    I think the argument against that would be that your body is your own, whereas his family's bodies aren't so you shouldn't touch them without permission.

ReputationRep:
    really? I'd be equally upset if someone I love died at the age of 20 or 70. Also, what if I die in an accident today? Will they be less upset than they would be if I committed suicide today?
    Really? I'd much prefer a loved one to have lived a happy full life. Yes I'd be upset either way but it's not about how I feel it's about them.

ReputationRep:
    really? I'd be equally upset if someone I love died at the age of 20 or 70. Also, what if I die in an accident today? Will they be less upset than they would be if I committed suicide today?
    Suicide brings up the question of "why?"

Your family will think about why did he kill him self? he must have been unhappy, what have we done wrong? we cannot believe he went through so much without telling us, is it our fault? ...etc

So will be sad to see someone take his own life, just a sign of unhappiness, which would make people close to you quite upset.

ReputationRep:
    The ability to end ones life, and the means to do so for everyone should be the most basic human right.

Nothing morally wrong with suicide, just a product of our societal values and legal system which stems from Christian values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlepotatoe)
    It is wrong because all your family and friends are going to think is "He wasn't happy enough with us."
    If I had a boyfriend who decided to kill himself, I'd be devastated, knowing I couldn't make him happy enough to stay alive, with me. Same with members of the family.
    This is selfish, and stupid.
    People aint afraid of Death itself, they fear the death of their close friends or relatives. Because of the pain it causes and the thought of not seeing them anymore.
    Basically if you kill yourself you're just hurting people you love and who are close to you. If you can't see that it means you're a selfish *******.
    I'm sorry, but I have a very close friend who has thoughts about killing himself and everytime he mentions it I'm doing my best to make him feel guilty because thats the only way I won't lose him.
    So yes, it's selfish. Just face it. And weak. You fight, you don't give up.
    YOU are the selfish one, I don't normally insult people on here but you really are a myopic *****. You think that suicide is wrong, because it might make you feel bad, and you want your friend to stop being 'weak' and 'fight' the life he sees as unbearable and too bad to live in, just so you can 'have' him as a friend. You effectively want him to suffer away so you can have fun with him.

Your idiocy is reallly disgusting - anyway if someones life was really so painful and nasty that they wanted to die, any caring family would help them in that because they wouldn't want to see the family member suffer and hurt all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the lengths that people in this society go to to prevent others commiting suicide is horrifying. People assume that if you're suicidal, a curable, treatable mental illness MUST be the cause. It's often the case, but in history we've seen various people commit suicide (i.e. the classic falling on one's own sword, Seppuku) for no other reason that they felt they should. Suicide is not necessarily a disease of the mind. What is so GREAT about life that we must have something wrong with us to not want it anymore? Why are we so desperate to trap people in this state of existence?

Why do we go to all these lengths to prevent people commiting suicide? Placing police officers on suicide watch, barring windows etc. Do people not own the right to their own life? It causes pain to loved ones when a suicide occurs, but would they really rather the suicide victim had lived on in torment and suffering for the rest of a natural life? Not all of life's problems are solvable, and while you're welcome to think that, PLEASE don't enforce your life-loving, idealistic claptrap onto others.

(By the way the above does not express my personal feelings- I just feel very strongly that people should have the right to their own life.)

ReputationRep:
    Suicide means you're taking the easy way to a problem and probably fill your family with guilt and 'what if' questions on top of their grief. A natural or accidental death just give them grief that they'll be able to overcome.

But seeing how many people in this thread and outside saying suicide is ok, I'm starting to think why not? at least it gives us one less mouth to feed.

ReputationRep:
    I believe they are hiring in eastern Afghanistan. Sometimes you've got to go out with a bang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    YOU are the selfish one, I don't normally insult people on here but you really are a myopic *****. You think that suicide is wrong, because it might make you feel bad, and you want your friend to stop being 'weak' and 'fight' the life he sees as unbearable and too bad to live in, just so you can 'have' him as a friend. You effectively want him to suffer away so you can have fun with him.

Your idiocy is reallly disgusting - anyway if someones life was really so painful and nasty that they wanted to die, any caring family would help them in that because they wouldn't want to see the family member suffer and hurt all the time.
    Why are you acting like suicide is the only option? I agree that what the person you quoted did was a bit OTT but if someone has suicide thoughts do you really think you will happily grant their wish and go to the shop to buy some drugs? Or will you try to go to the source of their problem so that it can be solved?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.