Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warming up before weights? Watch

(Original post by MHorman)
      Ok, i'm a complete n00b to doing weights and after asking this at the gym today i got 3 different answers...

First person said to do 5 minutes of light cardio on the crosstrainer first then go into your normal weights workout.

Second person said start light and work up as a way of warming up. Eg start at 5*20 then 5*25 then 3*5*30 instead of straight into 30...

Third person said they never warm up and just go straight into their weights...

TSR, help please...

I reckon the second guy i right but i dunno...
      Person two was right. It is obviously the most logical way. Cardio isn't that helpful, and not doing anything is not ideal. Don't ever think about stretching.

It goes like this for example: You do squats one day. Do squats first with no weights, then lighter weights will obviously only warm up those muscles which you need for that session. Squatting involves the same muscles, whether you lift light or heavy. And obviously, you will only warm up those muscles and hopefully get a better workout. I don't understand the rep and set system you gave, but do about 3 warm up sets of light squats before moving onto the main workout.

ReputationRep:
      I've started using a Stairmaster Stepmill before I train. It OWNS...and I just love how ridiculously old school it is (it's an early model, not one of the new-fangled shiny ones). Not quite as cool as the Versaclimber, though.

ReputationRep:
      Start at a comfortable weight and build up.
      Depends what type of workout you're doing

ReputationRep:
      I do some light mobility stuff to get my hips and or shoulders warm/moving nicely. Just a few hip swings, windmills, shoulder circles etc. Then start light and work up.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.