Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bus drivers accept cash? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You should give them a £20 note and pull this face...

ReputationRep:
    In Dundee it depends which bus company it is, one you have to have the correct amount but the other has conductors so you can get change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webernets)
    In Liverpool it doesn't matter, unless you are Southern.

I once baught a day pass with £20. Bus driver didn't care.
    True that! The 79c drivers are usually lovely to me, and one let me on for free on Saturday

HOWEVER, on certain buses here in Runcorn, they make you wait at the front of the bus for the journey til they get change, or they don't let you on. Most of the time though they let me pay for a £3 day saver with a £10 note

ReputationRep:
    Wow never realised how harsh some places are about bus tickets. Around here as long as you don't pay with huge notes they're fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but they prefer the exact amount. I once gave a bus driver a £10 note, it's all I had, and he had a fit.

ReputationRep:
    In Edinburgh, my worst nightmare is getting on a bus and realising I have no spare change or even a note. I hope that day never comes :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    correct change here, too. though the bus drivers are lovely and almost always let you off. i love bus drivers
    you clearly don't live in Bristol then lol

ReputationRep:
    You need exact change in Reading, too.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I'm forever paying with notes.. usually it's fine but on the bus between the city and uni most people use passes, so they don't tend to have change, meaning I have to go in to WH Smiths buy chocolate just to get change.. shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    In Manchester they couldn't give a ****. You can pay with whatever money you have, £10 or £20 is fine also.
    I know, they're usually just happy that you paid at all

ReputationRep:
    I guarentee if you have to pay with any money at all in London you will piss everyone else on the bus off. If you have to pay in cash, you have to have the correct ammount as bus drivers don't carry change with them.

ReputationRep:
    They don't give change on Travel West Midlands buses. So unless you're planning on buying a few tickets, you'll be using change or a bus pass anyway. Tbh, i've never once seen somebody use cash in my 8 years of using the bus.

ReputationRep:
    What else would they accept?

Anything but £20s and £50s are fine.

ReputationRep:
    yeah of course...have you phrased it badly and actually mean do they accept and give change for notes?

In Nottingham most of the council run Nottingham City Transport (so most buses) buses don't give change so you have to have the exact amount, some routes, mainly those with higher prices, do give change though. A few private companies do routes, some the same as NCT buses, they all give change.

ReputationRep:
    On the Brighton buses you don't need exact change, but there are signs on the bus asking people not to pay with a £20 note unless their fare is over £10 (a week ticket or something, not just one journey, aha)... our bus prices are creeping up and up now, when I was about 12 it was 30p for a single child journey Now my Bus ID has run out, it's £2 per journey, urgh

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. Cash is money....why wouldn't bus drivers accept cash? :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.