Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

www.software4students.co.uk - genuine?????? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting my MAC office package on their and Adobe CS5 Web Premium Student and Teacher Edition (MAC).

All for roughly £360. Good deal !

Much better to go legit and much safer.

ReputationRep:
    I bought Office Professional 2010 from them, had no problems & the discs arrived just over a week later. Did have a slight panicky moment when I thought they hadn't given me a product key to activate it but that was just me being an idiot, the key was on the back of the paper cover! (you don't get the actual box with the package). Anyway, it was well worth the £38, would recommend them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    Just get OpenOffice.

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's free, it's very user friendly and best of all it's opensource!
    It's also crap, ugly and inevitably leads to compatibility issues when you're handing in work to your professors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    It's also crap, ugly and inevitably leads to compatibility issues when you're handing in work to your professors.
    Only when you're computer illiterate and don't know how to change the format of documents.

ReputationRep:
    It's 100% legitimate and real. Ignore reports that it isn't, and if possible, get the digital versions because they're a lot more reliable in case physical copies don't arrive on time. That's where I got my Office 2011 Mac Academic edition (it's like the Home and Student version except that it comes with Outlook as well. Very useful if your uni's internal system uses Exchange for internal emails and timetables.

ReputationRep:
    Only when you're computer illiterate and don't know how to change the formats of documents.
    The formatting of an Open Office-made .doc is often slightly different to one made by MS Office. Footnotes, in particular, are rather inconsistent, and this is the kind of thing that can genuinely lose me marks. Which is why I happily use Open Office but will always check my document on a uni computer before printing it off and handing it in.

ReputationRep:
    Only when you're computer illiterate and don't know how to change the format of documents.
    Wrong. For anything beyond casual use, OpenOffice is quite poor. Writer is passable, but it does often lose a lot of formatting when converting documents (can be especially problematic when submitting reports that will be opened in Word).

Calc is a shambling mess of a spreadsheet program and should be avoided for anything more than adding up pocket money. Excel is a far more powerful piece of software.

Office is generally vastly superior to OpenOffice.org. Office is certainly worth getting if you plan on using either suite to any significant extent.

ReputationRep:
    okay.. so im taking everyones advice who said its genuine... thankyouuu!

ive just added the item to my shopping basket and when i get to checkout the total is like £40 i think not the £38 i expected.. they've added a £1.50 charge to the transaction - whats that for??? any way i can get rid off? and it says delivery's clearly free from this site..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_mee_x)
    okay.. so im taking everyones advice who said its genuine... thankyouuu!

ive just added the item to my shopping basket and when i get to checkout the total is like £40 i think not the £38 i expected.. they've added a £1.50 charge to the transaction - whats that for??? any way i can get rid off? and it says delivery's clearly free from this site..
    So you're not going to see if you like open office, a piece of freeware, and instead will just pay £40 that you might not need to spend?
    I really can't see the logic in any of this.
    Good luck though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_maz)
    Aye I'm going to get the digital version, how long does it take for it to be sent to you in the email once youve purchased it ?
    It's instant, you get the link as soon as the payment is complete.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.