Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was part of G&T at school. Never did any of the stuff though, just got offered to go on courses and things. I was interested in some of it, I was just too lazy to bother actually doing it.
    Of course, G&T kids did get special treatment at school though, got to do so much stuff that others didn't, like we got to launch real rocket prototypes, whilst the rest of the year had to use air-pressure to blast their feeble paper versions off. A little unfair on the rest, but I had a good day .
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    people were selected in Sixth Form as potential Oxbridge students
    really? At my secondary school, we had this G & T system, there was about 30 people in it(myself not included). But what you said seemed funny, because our school has a sixth form, and there has only ever been 1 person who has gotten into oxbridge from our sixth form. I only know of 1 person who was in the G & T in my year who has applied to oxbridge with me. He has an interview at cambridge. I unfortunately didnt get an interview at oxford, but hey ill get over it.

Please explain why I applied to oxford, but I wasnt in the G and T programme, and how only one person who was in it did. (this may seem as though im being argumentative, I dont mean to be, it may be different schools are better than mine )

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the list at my school for five years, and I was told that I would be 'stretched to the extent of my abilities'. So far, all that has happened is my maths and science teachers let me do whatever I want in lessons because the material is so easy.

Also, everyone goes to a lecture in London in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    really? At my secondary school, we had this G & T system, there was about 30 people in it(myself not included). But what you said seemed funny, because our school has a sixth form, and there has only ever been 1 person who has gotten into oxbridge from our sixth form. I only know of 1 person who was in the G & T in my year who has applied to oxbridge with me. He has an interview at cambridge. I unfortunately didnt get an interview at oxford, but hey ill get over it.

Please explain why I applied to oxford, but I wasnt in the G and T programme, and how only one person who was in it did. (this may seem as though im being argumentative, I dont mean to be, it may be different schools are better than mine )
    Uh, I have no idea why that is. I wasn't even in the program so I don't know how it works. :dontknow:
    For what it's worth, none of the people selected as potential Oxbridge students at my school ended up actually going to Oxbridge. The ones I can remember went to Loughborough, Nottingham, and Sheffield in the end. They were just our school's best hopes for Oxbridge lol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I do it at my college, we just have a lecture once a week.

Think we get opportunities and advice for oxbridge / russell group unis towards the end of this year.

Seems like it varies between colleges, but give it a try, it can't hurt.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Uh, I have no idea why that is. I wasn't even in the program so I don't know how it works. :dontknow:
    For what it's worth, none of the people selected as potential Oxbridge students at my school ended up actually going to Oxbridge. The ones I can remember went to Loughborough, Nottingham, and Sheffield in the end. They were just our school's best hopes for Oxbridge lol. :p:
    Ahh I see, I honestly think its just a programme where you have meetings where the teachers tell you that you're gifted and talented, just to make you feel special, and yes letter to parents so they can brag.

I dont see anything special about it, not because I wasnt in one, but the people that were in my schools one instead of me are now at college doing building courses......(while I sit here bragging about my warwick offer )

ReputationRep:
    We have a G&T list at my school, but they do absolutely nothing. I got taken to one hour long session in year 10 and that was it.
    After my AS results, I was subsequently kicked off the G&T list anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I was part of NAGTY from year 7, but nothing ever really happened. The teacher responsible for inclusion of both ends of the academic spectrum, as it were, tried to do some stuff with us (I seem to remember doing some special physics lessons after school) but after he left the school, not too much happened. G&T got lumped in with enterprise, so we just put together businesses and inventions.

Some of the NAGTY events looked interesting, but they were always on the other side of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I was part of NAGTY from year 7, but nothing ever really happened. The teacher responsible for inclusion of both ends of the academic spectrum, as it were, tried to do some stuff with us (I seem to remember doing some special physics lessons after school) but after he left the school, not too much happened. G&T got lumped in with enterprise, so we just put together businesses and inventions.

Some of the NAGTY events looked interesting, but they were always on the other side of the country.
    I was on it for I.C.T and was given some NAGTY award from Sir Trevor Brooking himself at the Millenium Dome waaaay back - They offered a placement at some uni on a summer school but i didn't go.... I remember I got a letter from them in 04saying that they where in the process of setting up scholarships to the US - That was the last i heard of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyshamim1)
    I was on it for I.C.T and was given some NAGTY award from Sir Trevor Brooking himself at the Millenium Dome waaaay back - They offered a placement at some uni on a summer school but i didn't go.... I remember I got a letter from them in 04saying that they where in the process of setting up scholarships to the US - That was the last i heard of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth!!
    I did keep getting sent the newsletter, though.

ReputationRep:
    I was talented for skipping school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi-desi)
    I was talented for skipping school
    :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    G&T literally means **** all
    At my school they send out letters to parents and emails for "G&T sessions" which never actually run and that's about it, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Thread I just read made me think about it. Anyone on here part of the whole Gifted and Talented list at their school and not get involved in the activites? I'm still not quite sure what it was all for... Just seemed to get sent a couple of newsletters a year and emails about taster courses for uni.
    Can anyone shed any light on exactly what G+T was supposed to do?
    That's pretty much my experiences of it too. I've been on a couple of trips though, to Southampton Uni to look at careers in science, a languages day at Portsmouth uni and a problem solving day at another local comprehensive like mine. I was a member of NAGTY too and I never did anything with that :/ I assumed the lack of G&T provision was because my school is rubbish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joanna-eve)
    That's pretty much my experiences of it too. I've been on a couple of trips though, to Southampton Uni to look at careers in science, a languages day at Portsmouth uni and a problem solving day at another local comprehensive like mine. I was a member of NAGTY too and I never did anything with that :/ I assumed the lack of G&T provision was because my school is rubbish...
    Yup I did nothing with either of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Yup I did nothing with either of them.
    What subject(s) are you G&T in?

ReputationRep:
    I have been registered for Chemistry and Maths by my school but I wasn't told a lot about it. Now, I am recieving emails every week about workshops, masterclasses and other university related courses. These are funded by the G&T Society so there is no fees to these events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joanna-eve)
    What subject(s) are you G&T in?
    Chemistry History and English

ReputationRep:
    I remember some woman coming into my primary school many years ago. We were asked to do an activity. Then all the other children were sent away. They went to watch a film. I knew why I was there - I was smarter than them. But I was in class, they were watching a film. It made me assume that being smart was bad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am and went on about 6 science trips because of it (Royal Soceity x2, Birmingham Uni quizzes x3 - we won 1 and came 2nd in 2 wooo- and then some other stuff), 2 english trips (inc year long mock trial competition) and then at middle school went to 2 of these weird maths days which really freaked me out and a thing about music (lol - how did they ever think I was G&T at that?), was able to take part in a national ICT competition 2 friends and I won so we got 100 quid each and a day in London! Oh and tried to set up this failish project for GT humanities but the teacher went on maternity leave and it was abandoned! So yea quite a lot - we were all very competitive over who was told they were G&T in the most subjects!

No-one cares once you have actually started GCSEs though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.