Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is your body clock at all messed up? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Mine is terrible. First year was insane.
    Nowadays I am at least consistent; going to sleep at 4/5am and waking up at 1pm. :sigh:
    I could fix my sleeping pattern but I'm choosing not to. I like working in the middle of the night; quiet, no distractions, no other people. All-nighters are the best way to work for me.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, so much for sorting out my body clock.

Got under the covers at around half 7 and stuck on The Breakfast Club. Fell asleep 20 mins in and woke up after it had finished and started replaying again. Fell asleep again and the same happened, except this time I could hear the film in my sleep.

Awoke again around 12 and finally got to see the end, missed the middle.

Woke at 4 this morning, hit the library at 5 for an hour and been awake since. What makes it worse is that I don't have lectures tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I've been going to bed at around 5am recently and waking at 2pm. I haven't been to bed yet, the plan is to stay up until around 10pm tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is messed up.
    Im not sleepy right now and i have to work in like 2-3 hours. (work at 5:30am)
    All i want is to sleep right now, but its hard. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I was going well: bed at midnight, up at 8am, in Uni by 9.15 in time for classes. Then the last week or so, I've been staying up til 2am (or later), ignoring my alarms and just rolling back over. I guess today, by some fluke, is one of the few days I've "got up on time" and I don't even have to go in; yay for free days! I really need to 'reset' and get back into the routine, so I make all my classes next week and my mock-exams the week after...but, with every day except tomorrow a 'holiday' in my Italian Uni, it's going to be difficult!

ReputationRep:
    i tend to pull all nighters, then crash the next day, but recently ive been crashing during the day for 12 hours (skipping a few days of uni) then waking up doing assignments at night, since its nearly end of 1st semester in 2 weeks, even though i have 3 assignments and 2 tests to do within 2 weeks -_-. Christmas is time to catch up on sleep and return to normal

ReputationRep:
    I just seem to want to sleep all the time at the moment. Gonna try for an early night tonight but I doubt it'll happen.

ReputationRep:
    I go around in circles with my sleeping patterns.

I'll have a week or two of going to sleep around 11pm and getting up between 7 and 8. Then I'll do something to screw it up - maybe I'll do a late shift at work, come home at 1am and not be able to wind down; maybe I'll just stay up chatting to someone or faffing about on the Internet. In any case it usually leads to bed at > 4am and getting up at 2pm. If there's something I have to get up early for then I'll do it, but I'll feel like :nothing: all day. On rare occasions when, for example, I miss something due to oversleeping, it puts me on a massive downer and I can end up sleeping through the entire day. If I'm in my "off cycle" there's usually one thing which will sort it out, and that's an all-nighter. It has to be on a day where I have lots of things to do and people to see, because that way it's easier than sitting in my room with a warm bed waiting in the corner.

I find it important to try to keep normal hours in winter. Sunrise is past 8am now, and the sun sets before 4pm. It's important to get a good few hours of sunlight or it can start to cause psychological issues. Touch wood, my sleeping patterns have been more or less normal for a couple of weeks, and I can't afford to let things slide right now because of numerous deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    I go around in circles with my sleeping patterns.

I'll have a week or two of going to sleep around 11pm and getting up between 7 and 8. Then I'll do something to screw it up - maybe I'll do a late shift at work, come home at 1am and not be able to wind down; maybe I'll just stay up chatting to someone or faffing about on the Internet. In any case it usually leads to bed at > 4am and getting up at 2pm. If there's something I have to get up early for then I'll do it, but I'll feel like :nothing: all day. On rare occasions when, for example, I miss something due to oversleeping, it puts me on a massive downer and I can end up sleeping through the entire day. If I'm in my "off cycle" there's usually one thing which will sort it out, and that's an all-nighter. It has to be on a day where I have lots of things to do and people to see, because that way it's easier than sitting in my room with a warm bed waiting in the corner.

I find it important to try to keep normal hours in winter. Sunrise is past 8am now, and the sun sets before 4pm. It's important to get a good few hours of sunlight or it can start to cause psychological issues. Touch wood, my sleeping patterns have been more or less normal for a couple of weeks, and I can't afford to let things slide right now because of numerous deadlines.
    Agree with this bit. The early sundowns are making me feel horrible, looking out the window at half 3 and seeing it's nearly dark or finishing a lecture at 4:30 nd walking back to the flat in the dark, even if it does take just 5 mins.

ReputationRep:
    I have five 9am starts a week and the luxury of 10am on a Tuesday, so there isn't really an oppourtunity for my bodyclock to **** up. If I'm up till 6.30am like I was Saturday night then wake up at 9am, I'll just spend the day feeling **** and then dead come 9pm whether I like it or not, so it all stays pretty consistent..

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even at Uni anymore and I've managed to **** up my sleeping pattern.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to bed now, and even though I have a tutorial at 12, 99% chance that I will turn off my alarm and go back to bed...

ReputationRep:
    I'm even worse than I was when I started this thread. I've spent the weekend trying to catch up on work for a tutorial I have at 6 this afternoon and started my 2000 wd essay due on Friday. I don't think my body even knows what day it is anymore.

Strangely though, I had an early one last night (midnight) and only slept for four hours and today my head is spinning, I can't see properly (things are kind of blurry at times and if I move my head my eyes take longer than usual to focus on an object) and I'm supposed to be revising a piece of coursework which is slightly impossible right now due to the above.

Put simply, I feel like I'm having a really bad trip on acid.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this and it's awful. I found it relatively easy to get back to 'normal' though (but still don't go to bed early enough) which basically consists of forcing myself to wake up early in a morning. I've noticed a huge difference to the point where I actually felt like I was wasting most of my day by being awake when others were asleep and vice versa. Being at uni is a nightmare for your sleeping patterns, I think it's down to the lack of routine and getting into the habit of late nights.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.