lets have an UNBIASED discussion about our experience with moderators. Watch

• View Poll Results: what has your experience made you think of moderators
    moderators are fine as they are.
    66.67%
    moderators abuse their authority by handing out too many warnings when not needed, bias, inconsistent, etc.
    25.00%
    there are too many moderators.
    5.56%
    there aren't enough moderators around.
    2.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    That being said, I quite like a lot of the spam/troll threads, theyre fun. Also, threads should be locked instead of deleted. I remember a lot of lulzy threads that I'd like to see again.
    Become a mod and you'll be able to access the Recycle Bin forums, where those threads get moved to. Imagine the amount of lols in there!

I wonder if they still send a thread to the recycle bin if it contains grotesque imagery, I'd imagine it would be something you'd want deleted asap

Post in Ask A Moderator if you want to appeal their decision. No one really bothers here.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by davidmarsh01)
      Yeah, on the whole they're pretty good. Although once I got warned for "Trolling" by making a new thread to ask a question that hadn't been answered sufficiently in my other thread. I was just like :lolwut:

But most of the time they're good, they definitely make TSR a better place in my opinion :yep:
      Overall their positives outweigh their negatives, but bold is what I am talking about on this thread, an experiences like that.

ReputationRep:
      This forum would become 4chan without mods.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S-man10)
      Post in Ask A Moderator if you want to appeal their decision. No one really bothers here.
      I have posted there, and the convosation is going well.

Well, I say "it is going well", what I mean by that is according to them, the reason I have been warned for others spouting abuse in my threads is because I didn't report the others, but someone reported my thread because they didn't like it and the mods couldn't see anything else, even though my threads only contained either ONLY a link to a youtube video, or a link with some answers to questions :confused:

(Original post by mathperson)
        I have posted there, and the convosation is going well.

Well, I say "it is going well", what I mean by that is according to them, the reason I have been warned for others spouting abuse in my threads is because I didn't report the others, but someone reported my thread because they didn't like it and the mods couldn't see anything else, even though my threads only contained either ONLY a link to a youtube video, or a link with some answers to questions :confused:
        Mods only intervene when thread becomes ****. As I recall, the last thread went from discussing that video, to discussing whether islam was racist, and that whoever said anything about islam was racist, and users were spouting abuse at each other - it was a disaster. A mod clearly pointed this out to you when you made the second thread and obviously there was no guarantee that the second thread would remain civil, and on topic.

As far as I am concerned, they do a great job. To blame them for abuse of power is wrong, if you do not accept some of the responsibility for breaking the rules (which is when they intervene).

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by S-man10)
        Mods only intervene when thread becomes ****. As I recall, the last thread went from discussing that video, to discussing whether islam was racist, and that whoever said anything about islam was racist, and users were spouting abuse at each other - it was a disaster. A mod clearly pointed this out to you when you made the second thread and obviously there was no guarantee that the second thread would remain civil, and on topic.

As far as I am concerned, they do a great job. To blame them for abuse of power is wrong, if you do not accept some of the responsibility for breaking the rules (which is when they intervene).
        Yes, it was a disaster, and I wonder why the moderators didn't warn the people who were shouting abuse and remove their posts, rather than remove my thread and warn me about my post which only contained a link to a youtube video?

There was no guarentee that the second thread would remain civil, no, but if it didn't the mods should take the action described above. Besides, when the thread was deleted, it didn't contain anything abusive. Yet they allow about 50 Islam threads a day to be started where abuse is thrown by muslims and non muslims, and it isn't the abusers that get warned, it is the abused.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by m:)ckel)
        They ruin the TSR experience for me.
        :hmmm: *does mean things to mockle*

As for mods, we try and do what's best for the site. We don't do things for a power trip (if I wanted a power trip modding on a forum would not be my method) but we can't please everyone.

We screw up and we corrected our mistakes when we do, we can't be perfect as modding isn't a concrete black and white issue.

ReputationRep:
        I wonder how many of the votes on the poll option "the mods are ok" were mods lol

ReputationRep:
        There seems to be no happy medium with this, if we werent here this place would be horrible.

The mods as a collective dont go on power mad and just do something for the sake of it, we have a huge job on this site to keep it in as much of a good state as we can, we dont have time to be power crazy.

ReputationRep:
        Unstable and complacent.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
        There seems to be no happy medium with this, if we werent here this place would be horrible.

The mods as a collective dont go on power mad and just do something for the sake of it, we have a huge job on this site to keep it in as much of a good state as we can, we dont have time to be power crazy.
        OK, ignoring the fact that some moderators inevitably voted on the poll, over 30% of TSR users think that there are too many moderators or that moderators abuse their authority etc. Now ofcourse not all members have had an experience with a moderator (and I suspect that some people who voted havn't, simply because they have also posted), but that is large.

Now it is easy to reach a happy medium. Firstly, if you see a thread about Islam/suicide/politics/etc that has people in it that are shouting abuse, warn them and remove their post, don't warn the OP for the actions that another member has taken.

Also, I think we all agree that moderators, when behaving themselves, do a good job, but it is the sort of experiences described in this thread that people are fed up with. Things like "it ruins the TSR experience for me", and "inconsistent and sometimes incompitent", ETC, written by other users.
        Not only that, but when I confront moderators in the ask a mod thread, they essentially blame me for it, saying that they didn't see the abuse being kicked around threads. What they did see however, it would seem, is my OP with ONLY the link to a youtube video, so they thought they would warn me about that instead, and you wonder why people have the opinions about mods which they do, listen to what some of these other users have to say for goodness sake.

ReputationRep:
        OK, ignoring the fact that some moderators inevitably voted on the poll, over 30% of TSR users think that there are too many moderators or that moderators abuse their authority etc. Now ofcourse not all members have had an experience with a moderator (and I suspect that some people who voted havn't, simply because they have also posted), but that is large.

Now it is easy to reach a happy medium. Firstly, if you see a thread about Islam/suicide/politics/etc that has people in it that are shouting abuse, warn them and remove their post, don't warn the OP for the actions that another member has taken.

Also, I think we all agree that moderators, when behaving themselves, do a good job, but it is the sort of experiences described in this thread that people are fed up with. Things like "it ruins the TSR experience for me", and "inconsistent and sometimes incompitent", ETC, written by other users.
        Not only that, but when I confront moderators in the ask a mod thread, they essentially blame me for it, saying that they didn't see the abuse being kicked around threads. What they did see however, it would seem, is my OP with ONLY the link to a youtube video, so they thought they would warn me about that instead, and you wonder why people have the opinions about mods which they do, listen to what some of these other users have to say for goodness sake.
        you told him to say that. stop being so... biased :mmm:

ReputationRep:

I havent voted in the poll, as in line with your OP trying to keep things fair here, wouldnt be fair for me to do so...

As for the example there, its all very specific to threads, in some respects that is true but in other respects if the OP then gets involved they are breaking the rules as much as anyone else in the thread that should be warned. Rules are tailored to be fair, so surely this means that if people break the rules they should be warned?

If you have a problem with individual moderating or a personal problem, you need to go to AAM as you have done. I cant comment on individual circumstances.

Im not going to get drawn into an debate on this, but we are always going to be moaned about whatever we do.

ReputationRep:

Yes 30% of a sample of 35 on a site with over 250000 members, you can't draw conclusions from that.

As for your next point, fair enough warn members who post these opinions but why should someone who creates a thread with the intention of flaming people into these comments get let off?

and no we can't see everything, even if we spend 24 hours a day 7 days a week trying to it just isn't physically possible.

For the record I haven't voted.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
        I havent voted in the poll, as in line with your OP trying to keep things fair here, wouldnt be fair for me to do so...

As for the example there, its all very specific to threads, in some respects that is true but in other respects if the OP then gets involved they are breaking the rules as much as anyone else in the thread that should be warned. Rules are tailored to be fair, so surely this means that if people break the rules they should be warned?

If you have a problem with individual moderating or a personal problem, you need to go to AAM as you have done. I cant comment on individual circumstances.

Im not going to get drawn into an debate on this, but we are always going to be moaned about whatever we do.
        No, you are not always going to be moaned about, so long as what you do is fair, consistent and isn't bias.

You said that what I have said is specific to threads, that is because that is, largely, what you moderate.
        In the example I used I didn't get drawn into abusing people, but simply told commented, but my post with one link init gets warned and they don't, how is that fair AND COMPLYING WITH THE RULES?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
        Yes 30% of a sample of 35 on a site with over 250000 members, you can't draw conclusions from that.

As for your next point, fair enough warn members who post these opinions but why should someone who creates a thread with the intention of flaming people into these comments get let off?

and no we can't see everything, even if we spend 24 hours a day 7 days a week trying to it just isn't physically possible.

For the record I haven't voted.
        OK fine, the sample size isn't large enough to be able to deduce anything with certainty, other than the fact that other people have had similar experiences.

Now, in my example (and it would seem the examples of other users who have posted here), I didn't post anything to 'flame people'. I posted 1) nothing but a youtube video and 2) (in a seperate thread) the same video with some answers to questions from the previous thread. What is wrong with that?
        Oh, and why did none of the other people get warned, only me, for nothing?
        (posting opinions by the way is not wrong, everyone has an opinion and they may be different from someone else, what is wrong is attacking and abusing others).

ReputationRep:
        OK fine, the sample size isn't large enough to be able to deduce anything with certainty, other than the fact that other people have had similar experiences.

Now, in my example (and it would seem the examples of other users who have posted here), I didn't post anything to 'flame people'. I posted 1) nothing but a youtube video and 2) (in a seperate thread) the same video with some answers to questions from the previous thread. What is wrong with that?
        Oh, and why did none of the other people get warned, only me, for nothing?
        (posting opinions by the way is not wrong, everyone has an opinion and they may be different from someone else, what is wrong is attacking and abusing others).
        I am not entering a discussion on a specific warning/case outside of AAM. If this is all down to a warning grievance then you know where you should be posting to get it resolved appropriately.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
        I am not entering a discussion on a specific warning/case outside of AAM. If this is all down to a warning grievance then you know where you should be posting to get it resolved appropriately.
        This is not about a warning grievance, it is about my (and other people's) experience with moderators.

ReputationRep:
        No, you are not always going to be moaned about, so long as what you do is fair, consistent and isn't bias.

You said that what I have said is specific to threads, that is because that is, largely, what you moderate.
        In the example I used I didn't get drawn into abusing people, but simply told commented, but my post with one link init gets warned and they don't, how is that fair AND COMPLYING WITH THE RULES?
        We will be moaned at regardless, as most of the time it is all about opinion so one persons opinion about something is going to differ alot from anothers, so it is foolish to suggest that what you seem to be fair and unbiased is going to be seen like that to another person.

I meant it is specific to one thread, what action is taken no 2 decision are the same and its never as clear cut as it may seem for us.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.