Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jay Sean not recieving credit due to ignorant British in denial? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    Jay Sean is the most successful male UK import in the USA since Elton john...the man has enjoyed a no.1 song on the billboard charts, a feat that could not be managed by robbie williams, Oasis and loads of other british hopefuls who really tried to crack America but could not...even though they are huuuuuuge in this country....

Do you feel that the media in this country has brushed his achievemnt under the carpet? I kinda think he wouyld be more recognised if he were regarded as a "true brit" by the media and geeneral public, but I think his Indian heritage has prevented some British people (media in this country in particular) from getting behind the man, even though he is representing our country on a global scale in the music world..again a feat that other english men have failed miserably at (westlife anyone? lol! )

I'm awar that most people on this site probably don't like his music has it isn't the stereotypical "your sex is on fire", lets grow our hair long and ALL have fringes and wear the same skinny jeans, indie stuff, (im joking! chill out emo warriors!), but are you proud of your fellow brits achievements?

Im wondering because I cannot understand why the media here doesn't show him any recognition, when he's a huuuge star overseas.... is it due to the asian stigmatism in this country which he may not suffer in America? (a country that has wholly embraced ethinic minorities into their pop scene...)

would he appeal more to you if he was white, could barely sing and his name was dave?

what are your thoughts guys!

You know, haters are gonna hate, that's just the reality.

Yeah, I cannot believe how well he has done, he took a risk when he dropped medicine for music but then it paid off. I still love his track 'got my eyes on you' and I play that all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiterallyInsane)
    Loooll curry any1?
    Lol classic.

ReputationRep:
    He probably appeals to south asian british people more than the rest and they dont make up a huge portion of the population so what do you expect.

ReputationRep:
    He isn't as famous in the US as he'd like to believe. Yes he had a No.1 on Billboard which, don't get me wrong, is very impressive, but he's been a one hit wonder there. Any success afterwards has just been what's left of the publicity from his No.1 and he'll be unknown there in a years time, believe me.

As for why he's not successful here ... because his music is a load of tosh? Just a thought. I'm not jumping on the "I H8 MAINSTREAM MUSIC!!!1!!" thing, but his music is just bad.

ReputationRep:
    emo and indie are completely different :|

ReputationRep:
    Jay Sean is already at Cash Money. He does not need anymore credit he has all of that already.

ReputationRep:
    his very first album was better!

ReputationRep:
    The same way that America loves Tony Blair and David Beckham whereas noone over here is fussed anymore

Why would Brits care how an artist is doing in the States? It has absolutely nothing to do with racism. We will always have racism whilst people like you shout "racism" whenever something doesn't go perfect for a non-white person...

ReputationRep:
    Because he's over there not here. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think everyone is racist all the time OP? Its getting boring and frankly its incorrect.
    The reason he isn't recognised so much over here is cause his music is utter crap, nothing to do with his ethnicity!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The media went ape **** over Leona Lewis' US success and she's mixed race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny.)
    punjabi
    Slightly off-topic, but your sig is great ! haha

ReputationRep:
    He's unheard of in my room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    I think he used to go to my primary school.
    I know thats completely irrelevant to this topic, I just wanted to throw it out there...
    He's a medical school drop out

IMO, hes not as good as he was in the past!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrior-1)
    He's a medical school drop out

IMO, hes not as good as he was in the past!
    But... my primary school wasnt a medical school

Oh I see what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    I despise Jay Sean, Usher, Chris Brown and the rest of them bunch who sing in a feminine type voice.
    This. I simply don't like his music...

ReputationRep:
    Read Jay Sean and realised I'm not a **** and actually do not care.

ReputationRep:
    FYI Taio Cruz got to number 1 in the US. In fact I think he was more successful than Jay Sean...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    again a feat that other english men have failed miserably at (westlife anyone? lol! )
    Oh dear.

Seriously though, when he was just making music here, it was very much inspired by bhangra, which doesn't appeal to many outside the British-Asian community.

R&B, on the other hand, has a much wider fan base, hence why his latest music has been popular both here and in the states.

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking,

Baby are you down down doowwwwwwwwwnnnn

was overplayed so badly here

He's pretty big here, well London anyways.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.