Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Unfortunately I think the day is approaching when I lose interest in facebook and come off it. Not that I have a massive interest in it now, just I have it and use it to message people, I rarely put anything on it.

But some of these new things they bring in are change for the sake of change and I don't like it.

For me the glory days of facebook were around 2006-07. It was only students who were on it, you weren't paranoid about who was looking at your profile, and from a stalking point of view it was better because nobody else was paranoid, so if you found anybody fit on your university network the odds are you could view all their profile and all their pictures.
    Well make StudentSpace then strictly for University Students.

Oh, On second thoughts, I'll patent that, I claim full responsibility. You use it and I'll sue you. I'm going to be the next Zuckerberg ! I can see it now.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen it yet.
    I always leave my fb on, but i never really go in it.
    I do hope it's not like myspace though.
    Myspace looks cheap now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I don't like it. It's too much like a dating site imo.
    Good to see you have good knowledge of dating sites...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Don't worry.

GoogleMe will be out soon and everyone will use that for a number of reasons.

1. Its going to have gmail integrated
    2. Its going to have google maps integrated
    3. its possibly going to have integration from Twitter/Facebook/eBay/Last.fm and other services. Basically the integration with Facebook will let you transfer friends and then shut down your Facebook account.
    4. It has the search engine built in
    5. Google Chrome is beast just as anything else Google create, except for Buzz.
    It's not going to beat Facebook. Google can't do social networks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no not the best friends thing again.
    It caused so many fights back in the day of Bebo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapnHooch)
    I'm not liking that best friend bit. It's like myspace all over again.
    I just changed my profile. Where's that bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    It's not going to beat Facebook. Google can't do social networks.
    It will.

Facebook is dying. Far too many people on it and far too many know each others business.

Look how many people have lost their jobs because of employers looking them up on Facebook.

I'm going to create a university only social network.

ReputationRep:
    It's horrible and I can't figure out how to change it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I just changed my profile. Where's that bit?
    No idea, I just saw it on the sample page.

ReputationRep:
    Highlight meaningful relationships

Relationships with close friends can be just as important as family. Now you can highlight family members and the other key people in your life, like your best friends or coworkers — all right on your profile.
    Well this is going to ruin some friendships :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BritishRose)
    Oh no not the best friends thing again.
    It caused so many fights back in the day of Bebo.
    Yeah, when you were like 12!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glennith)
    Yeah, when you were like 12!
    13 actually

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapnHooch)
    I'm not liking that best friend bit. It's like myspace all over again.
    You do realise those are custom lists? You don't have to have a list of best friends on your profile.

(Original post by jb9191)
    Don't worry.

GoogleMe will be out soon and everyone will use that for a number of reasons.

1. Its going to have gmail integrated
    2. Its going to have google maps integrated
    3. its possibly going to have integration from Twitter/Facebook/eBay/Last.fm and other services. Basically the integration with Facebook will let you transfer friends and then shut down your Facebook account.
    4. It has the search engine built in
    5. Google Chrome is beast just as anything else Google create, except for Buzz.
    What makes you think their latest attempt at social networking will beat their previous?

ReputationRep:
    How do I upgrade to the new profile early

We’re rolling out the new profile to everyone slowly. If you don’t see it yet and would like to upgrade early, click here. You will not be able to switch back to the old design after upgrading

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it at all. It's already a method of spying on people - authorities and companies can access your data already.

This makes it that bit easier for Big Brother to psychologically profile and analyse individuals.

ReputationRep:
    I hope my wall remains turned off whenever this is implemented

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    It's horrible and I can't figure out how to change it back.
    You cant.
    I just read the thingy on facebook and it says you cant change it back to your old profile.

ReputationRep:
    I like some bits of it, like how you can list languages, and people that inspire you and stuff. I think that the 'sorting your friends into categories thing' will cause a few problems.

ReputationRep:
    People who are saying that they want to change back to the old profile..theres no point cus' everyone is going to have this one at some point anyway!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.