Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everyone is wearing the same leather boots!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean! I was wearing skinny jeans before they were hugely rediscovered a few years back..I remember my friend wet herself laughing and was like WTF are you wearing? I like to remind her of that moment till this day Also the whole braces trend? Don't really know if it's back yet but I've got a pair which I love..they seem to be becoming more popular now.

Oh well, thats fashion for you. It's not usually very classic. I'll probably look back at pictures of myself in a few years and want to die of shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Let me explain: a few years ago I was ridiculed by a few colleagues for wearing black leather ankle boots. They were smart because they were so simple, so I felt justified in wearing them under simple plain work trousers. I also used to genuinely ride a motorbike so needed something sturdy to wear whilst riding.

And now - everyone is wearing biker boots!

I just can't believe I had the mick taken out of me when it was uncommon, and now everyone's doing it, it's suddenly ok. :rolleyes:

The same thing happened with waistcoats. They became really popular recently (not so much now) and I got annoyed because I had friends take the mick when I wore one as a teenager - it was fitted and simple but my friends laughed that I looked like a snooker player. :lol:

The point of my rant? Has this happened to you? Been ridiculed for wearing something and then it turns into a ridiculously over-subscribed trend?

I won't complain about being unique. I don't believe anyone is truely unique, but this sheep mentality within fashion is pretty telling. :rolleyes:
    You're just ahead of the times, OP

The ankle boot thing annoys me, I'd really like to get a pair but everyone's wearing them :|
    And I have yet to find a pair I'm completely satisfied with :p:

ReputationRep:
    Tweed .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    I know exactly what you mean! I was wearing skinny jeans before they were hugely rediscovered a few years back..I remember my friend wet herself laughing and was like WTF are you wearing? I like to remind her of that moment till this day
    I spent 2 years trying to find the perfect tight jeans many years ago (ok about 5 years ago). They called them drainpipes and cigarette-pants then, do you remember? I think I got mine from CK and they were not as tight as the modern ones. Wore them once and sold them on ebay (I have big hips so they didn't suit me). Now look at everyone. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Mm_Minty)
    You're just ahead of the times, OP

The ankle boot thing annoys me, I'd really like to get a pair but everyone's wearing them :|
    That's because most girls wear them as a throw-away piece and try to spend as little as possible (unless they're loaded, lucky sods) so most look crap. I paid a little more because I needed something good quality that I could ride a motorbike in. If I find a pic I'll stick it up, it's from Bertie but they don't sell it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I think you guys are being too judgmental, I mean, it's a bit hard too be individual and original when everything in the shops is the SAME. You can never be original because there would always a thousand people dressing the same as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pensivedore)
    I think you guys are being too judgmental, I mean, it's a bit hard too be individual and original when everything in the shops is the SAME. You can never be original because there would always a thousand people dressing the same as you.
    Yeah I already amde exactly that point and I appreciate it is hard to be unique. I'm just having a whinge because people make fun of me for dressing 'weird' and then it becomes socially acceptable when large numbers of people dress in the same way. Lame. :rolleyes: Being unique is another story!!

Found them! I'm sorry but I think these kick proverbial fashionista arse. Had them for 2 years now and put them through hell (monsoons, broken glass, barbed wire - don't ask), they're still surviving.

ReputationRep:
    I wear panchos and bootleg jeans so my friends laugh at me. I'm not into fashion so I might look odd to some people but I feel like what I wear is fine. Last year I wore pink velcro trainers when it snowed because they have great grip to school and even the female teachers were laughing.

ReputationRep:
    I spent 2 years trying to find the perfect tight jeans many years ago (ok about 5 years ago). They called them drainpipes and cigarette-pants then, do you remember? I think I got mine from CK and they were not as tight as the modern ones. Wore them once and sold them on ebay (I have big hips so they didn't suit me). Now look at everyone. :rolleyes:
    lol yes I remember! I was really lucky, my mum had some sweeeet clothes from back in the day, and she was the same size as me and everything so they fit like a glove It is funny though, how the minute you stop looking for something, it's everywhere! lol

(Original post by Pensivedore)
    I get what you're saying..personally the point I was trying to make was..some people don't like certain items of clothing which is fine. But when they come into fashion, everyone seems to start loving them and even wearing them, when they initially thought that they were revolting. There's nothing wrong with fashion and trends and following trends, but some people wear things purely because they're in fashion, not because they actually liked them to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love wearing flower clips and ribbons and funky accessories in my hair and I used to get teased for it. And then they came in fashion :| grrr.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I already amde exactly that point and I appreciate it is hard to be unique. I'm just having a whinge because people make fun of me for dressing 'weird' and then it becomes socially acceptable when large numbers of people dress in the same way. Lame. :rolleyes: Being unique is another story!!

Found them! I'm sorry but I think these kick proverbial fashionista arse. Had them for 2 years now and put them through hell (monsoons, broken glass, barbed wire - don't ask), they're still surviving.

Nice
    Are those buckles I see on the other side? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Nice
    Are those buckles I see on the other side? :eek:
    Yeah. I don't like the buckles myself. Pointless feature.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean! A girl in my flat buys all these fashion magazines and she left them on the kitchen table - I was flicking through them and seriously, the clothes were actually godawful. And yet I bet we'll see people wearing that stuff soon.

It might just be me but I don't think a lot of 'trendy' clothing looks good at all and yet people wear it all the time. All the old fashioned styles that are coming back, the floral tops, the frills, the stupid granny clothing... why the hell do people think that looks good? Seriously? I can't get my head around it.

Clothes shopping is an actual nightmare for me, I find one shop I like and then everything's bloody ugly. Next for example - the Spring/Summer 2010 collection was nice but Autumn/Winter is ALL camel colours, it's disgusting. And skinny jeans. They don't suit me at all because of my hips but that's all every shop sells!

Just because it's in fashion, doesn't mean it looks good. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I don't like the buckles myself. Pointless feature.
    I must confess, I'm a sucker when it comes to buckles :p:

ReputationRep:
    The new biker boots in fashion remind me of doc martens. I have knee high docs and people used to laugh at me when I wore them and now these very same people are walking around in clunky biker style boots.

I really don't understand it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my favourite quotations fit with this topic fairly well!

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.”
    - Henry David Thoreau

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.”
    - Oscar Wilde

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters of principle, stand like a rock.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtemisRose)
    The new biker boots in fashion remind me of doc martens. I have knee high docs and people used to laugh at me when I wore them and now these very same people are walking around in clunky biker style boots.

I really don't understand it at all.
    Same same. I have knee high DMs (limited edition, not the regular sort) and had people make fun of me too.

Look at all the kids in their neon DMs now. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzyy)
    It feels like you should switch them over...trilby's are popular now..well I see them everywhere in London..
    Yeah that's what I am wearing!

ReputationRep:
    :console:humans are stupid

ReputationRep:
    Cowboy boots. I've worn them since I was a teenager and everyone used to look at me funny. Now they're everywhere.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I wore one of these for years:

People made fun, yet everyone has one now! :mad:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.