Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LOng term relationship without sex! possible? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    Yeah, a long term relationship without sex is called marriage...
    har har har...

Anyway...hmm..it would get very hard to fight natural urges. The old "one thing led to another" phrase comes to mind. I mean would you sleep in the same bed naked? Would you touch each other in intimate areas? Are you the type who seems to skirt around religious rules by engaging in oral sex, using your hands..etc?

Honestly I'd say that most wouldn't commit to such a relationship, if it's because of religious commands then you might be better suited to someone of your own faith who is similarly conservative. There will be a minority who would hold out mind.

Personally I'd like to think I'd be able to make it work as personality by the far the most important thing to me, but I can hardly comment without being the situation long term, but If I really loved them and we were a perfect match, walking away would seem pretty foolish. In fact it's similar to a scenario in that your partner is injured/ill in such a way that sexual intercourse becomes impossible, walking away in that instance would be very shallow.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think so. Sex is an important part of a relationship for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    theoretically its possible. however, you must try to divert her beliefs to one side and insert one in with permission. Just slowly and carefully using subtle messages say that culture is bull, sex is more important than tradition.

but personally, she's a moron, forget about her
    Did you even read the post?
    The OP is the girl!

Personally I would find it difficult, but if you really care about someone enough you should be able to respect their decision. My boyfriend is so darn sexy it would be ridiculously difficult for me, but if I knew the score when I first got into a relationship with him I think I could still be with him. It would really take away from the intimacy we have though
    Maybe it's different if you're a virgin? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Not with me, alas. (As you're no doubt crestfallen to hear.)

ReputationRep:
    yes, BUT only if

you are BOTH religious/fixed on the idea of abstinence

or both asexuals

otherwise no. and remember abstinence means abstinence so no other stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidin)
    I would respect this decision hugely! In fact, if I wanted to get into a relationship with a girl I would ask the same thing no matter what urges I may have, not just because of my culture though but rather my belief that a good relationship should not based on sex in any way at all.

After marriage please!

Then again how many guys would agree with me? Only the old and wise probably....

I wish there was more people like this but it's the minority now.

Take your superior smug bull**** and ram it up your arse.

Seeing sexual compatability as one of the fundamental pillars of a successful relationship is not only completely legitimate, it is incredibly prudent.

There could literally be nothing worse than getting to your wedding night and finding out you are totally sexually incompatable and have completely different needs.

Your victorian attitude that sex doesnt matter is intellectually and socially bankrupt - it matters hugely on both a social and biological level.

Millions of years of evolution have led to humanity being DESIGNED around pairing up (at least partly) based on sexual compatability, there is nothing base, degenerate or inferior about acknowledging this.

In conclusion: grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    Did you even read the post?
    The OP is the girl!

Personally I would find it difficult, but if you really care about someone enough you should be able to respect their decision. My boyfriend is so darn sexy it would be ridiculously difficult for me, but if I knew the score when I first got into a relationship with him I think I could still be with him. It would really take away from the intimacy we have though
    Maybe it's different if you're a virgin? I don't know.
    oops, i did read the post. just remove the 'r's in 'her' and 's' in 'she'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hey I was just wondering what were your thoughts on this, if there was this girl who you really liked and she was everything you ever wanted (looks and personality) but you couldn't sleep with her! lets say the girl (me in this situation lol) didn't want to have sex because it was against her culture! would this hold you back from getting into a long term relationship with her! or you wouldn't mind?

btw I've met this guy we both really like each other, it's not official yet I just told him that I wont sleep with him and asked him to think about it before we take this any further! I mean I would sleep with him once I trust and love him and know 98% that I will marry this dude! this might take a good 2 years lol I mean I don't know how long it will take
    keep anon tsr thank you
    Of course celibate relationships are possible.

George Bernard Shaw had a celibate marriage with Charlotte Payne-Townshend. Ms Sally Peters posits that Shaw was an abstinent homosexual who married 'for form' and for companionship.

Personally my first relationship with my childhood sweetheart ended in marriage (we were both virgins) but ended when we discovered that we were not sexually compatible.

Since that time I have never considered myself to be in a relationship that sex did not occur prior to considering that we might have a future as a couple.

Best Wishes

in the same situation atm. I'm a 19 year old virgin. My boyfriend is not a virgin and 21. I always thought I'd be very calm and wouldn't take sex so seriously. But turns out i do weirdly enough. This guy is Very sexual and kinky and always horny. I think part of it is that i'm a bit embarrassed about my body. And i don't trust him enough to show everything.... And i'm uncertain about him. Even though he says he loves me. and will wait forever. i see him get frustrated and disapointed. We do other stuff, but is it enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    oops, i did read the post. just remove the 'r's in 'her' and 's' in 'she'
    Haha, ok then

ReputationRep:
    I would never survive a relationship that long without sex. this is just not possible to my mind. One of you will always be unsatiesfied with the situation. that is not a good aspect in a relationship. you should feel comfortable and satisfied in a relationship.

As long as I am younger than 65 and older than 16 I need sex in a relationship to feel fine.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's possible! Relationships aren't all about the physical...more about the emotional

ReputationRep:
    It is possible, if you have enough will power and "love" for it to work, which not everyone has.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Religion ruining everything again. If your BF doesn't share your religious views then don't waste his time.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible, just highly unlikly. I assume by the way you've written your post your not very old, so don't get your hopes up for marriage until your in the relationship. you might scare him!

ReputationRep:
    I love the neg reps people are getting when they say "a relationship is more important than sex". What's the betting it's some virgin jealous he's not getting any. (and I shall bide my time and wait until I get neg repped by him. )

I follow their views. I do believe a relationship is more important than sex. However, sex can be a very bonding experience, and can make or break a relationship. If you don't have sex until marriage, then find you and your partner are sexually incompatible, what would you do then?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the individual people.

Personally I would say yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl and even I definitely wouldn't wait. Sex is too important a part of a relationship for me to withhold for 2 years, and I would want to confirm we're sexually compatible before forever committing myself to someone.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no o.O

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.