Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Morrissey Slams David Cameron For 'Liking The Smiths' Watch

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron should be criticised for liking The Smiths. They suck ass. Morrissey is also a ****, and I am so upset that he isn't dead yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Cameron should release "Coalition - The Musical" just to rile Morrissey, it could be like a reality docu soap and then at key times, they could break out into Morrissey and Smiths songs.

eg Cabinet meeting, Iain Duncan Smith is asked to update us on his welfare reforms and he breaks out into "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before"

Nick Clegg updates us on how his campaign to scrap student fees is going, "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish"

Theresa May reports back on latest student protest "Panic on the Streets of London"

Wikileaks reveal Downing Streets private comments on the Foreign Office "William, It Was Really Nothing"

George Osborne sees latest economic forecast from Office for Budget Responsibility: "Heaven Knows Im Miserable Now"

Ken Clarke reveals prisoner early release scheme "Shoplifters of the World Unite"

Liam Fox argues for extra funding from the Treasury to fight Afghan war "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time"

Chris Huhne comments on government climate change strategy "What Difference Does It Make"

David Laws reflects on his career as First Secretary to the Treasury "First Of The Gang To Die"

Danny Alexander sees note left by David Laws saying 'there's no money left': "That Joke Isn't Funny Any More"

Chris Grayling re-emerges to make some comments to the media about gay couples "Bigmouth Strikes Again"

Chris Pickles stands up to talk about anything "You're The One For Me, Fatty"

Boris Johnson reveals his thoughts on the leadership "The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get"
    :rofl:
    I would actually go and see that! :laugh:
    There could be an extra song about Clegg and Cameron with Clegg daydreaming about his love for Cameron and telling Cameron to 'Ask Me'.
    Or not...

ReputationRep:
    He was clearly namedropping them to try and distance himself from the floppy haired toff **** image though. Morrissey's first album had a song called "Margaret on The Guillotine" about Thatcher, and he was questioned by police regarding it.

ReputationRep:
    What balls. I like the Smiths, but someone can like what they like. The Smiths weren't even good for their politics- they were good because they articulated what it was like to be lonely, to compromise, to be heartbroken. They said the things you wish you could say about love without being though odd.

I highly doubt every time a politician claims to like a band it's because they are trying to 'score points'. In this case, off who? People who grew up in the 80s probably know how they feel about the Tories in one way or another. People like me who only just caught this election aren't that stupid, and most 18-19 year-olds probably don't like the Smiths.

This one, for Morrissey (as usual) is more foot in mouth than hand in glove.

ReputationRep:
    What a silly little boy.

Don't get me wrong - I like the Smiths and I even like some of their lyrics but lets face it 99% of them are about alienation, rejection, ennui etc. from a very teenage perspective - not exactly biting political rhetoric.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't have an opinion of this guy before, now i think he's a total nobhead.

ReputationRep:
    Lighten up guys. Johnny Marr doesn't actually "forbid David Cameron to like the Smiths". He just made music which wasn't exactly intended as politically Conservative and the idea of DC sitting in #10 bobbing his head away to "The Queen Is Dead" makes him faintly nauseous. Which is understandable. Stop being so defensive, it's not like he's getting sued. He did things artistically which were fairly personally important to him and someone he can't stand apparently "likes it" and he dislikes that fact. SHOCK HORROR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Lighten up guys. Johnny Marr doesn't actually "forbid David Cameron to like the Smiths". He just made music which wasn't exactly intended as politically Conservative and the idea of DC sitting in #10 bobbing his head away to "The Queen Is Dead" makes him faintly nauseous. Which is understandable. Stop being so defensive, it's not like he's getting sued. He did things artistically which were fairly personally important to him and someone he can't stand apparently "likes it" and he dislikes that fact. SHOCK HORROR.
    Good point but I find it embarrassing that they commented. It just makes them seem more like the typical Rick from the "Young Ones" cultural leftists chucking their dummy out of the pram because daddy is listening to their pop music.

As someone who likes their music it made me lose a little respect for them

ReputationRep:
    Morrissey, The Smiths...whatever they both suck hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    "Music is the only universal language"

How totally pretentious. And contradicted by "I forbid [David Cameron] to like it"

You couldn't make it up really. I think self-styled artists sometimes forget there's a real world outside.
    Said by two different people.

ReputationRep:
    Never really paid much attention to The Smiths. I don't really care for their opinions on politics. However, D.C is a massive condescending arse wipe and I don't care what music he likes. Shut the **** up and sort your ideological beliefs out. I don't want to watch a webcam of you in your house. I don't want to know if you once used value range tinned tomatoes.

ReputationRep:
    I like the Smiths and Morrissey's music but Morrissey is a c*nt. As much as I dislike Cameron, why cant he like the Smiths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Said by two different people.
    Correct. And wasn't the whole point of this thread that one was defending the other?

ReputationRep:
    Correct. And wasn't the whole point of this thread that one was defending the other?
    I don't think that was the point of this thread at all. See title.

In the article, Morrissey says he supports Marr and also that he 'would like to try to explain why [he] think[s] Johnny is right not to be flattered'. Just because Morrissey supports Marr, doesn't make Marr's words come out of Morrissey's mouth.

Also, the term 'universal language' means that it transcends boundaries; it is something that can be understood by everyone. It doesn't mean that it is available to everyone as a right. So the two terms aren't even contradictory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    If you had to agree with Morrissey's politics to like the Smiths, no-one would ever have heard of them!

Anyway, apparently DC wants to "repeal the Hunting Act, which would mean the brutal killing of foxes, hares, deer, badgers, otters – just about anything that moves". What an utter load of ****.
    Shows how dip**** Morrisey is. Anyone who agrees with Morrisey there is an utter idiot because you cannot tell people what they should or should not like without sounding like a pretentious douchebag! Shows how much Morrisey knows about hunting too, what an absolute douchebag. Accidentally negged when i meant to pos your post too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    I don't think that was the point of this thread at all. See title.
    Well the article it links to very much suggests to me that it is.

In the article, Morrissey says he supports Marr and also that he 'would like to try to explain why [he] think[s] Johnny is right not to be flattered'. Just because Morrissey supports Marr, doesn't make Marr's words come out of Morrissey's mouth.
    That would figure because, unless Marr does have his hand up Morrissey's arse like a ventriloquist's dummy, they are two different people as you pointed out.

Also, the term 'universal language' means that it transcends boundaries; it is something that can be understood by everyone. It doesn't mean that it is available to everyone as a right. So the two terms aren't even contradictory.
    What total semantic *******s. Both terms are void of any real meaning. He sings/makes a noise for a living, and some people buy it. David Cameron likes that noise even though the artist doesn't like him.

End of story.

ReputationRep:
    What total semantic *******s. Both terms are void of any real meaning. He sings/makes a noise for a living, and some people buy it. David Cameron likes that noise even though the artist doesn't like him.

End of story.
    So what you said about these terms being contradictory and also the fact that you brought them up even though they are devoid of any meaning says WHAT about your point? Oh yeh, that you dont have one.

Your other points are a waste of text.

End of story now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    He is right.

Nobody should listen to the Smiths. lol, but really I just think he's a bit of a self important ****. Morrissey too! Music is tolerable, but dislike his lyrics and DESPISE him as a person.
    You do realise that there is at least one typographical/grammatical error in your signature, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    He's an ********. I like The Smiths, but someone says he likes their music and then Morrissey turns around and says, "music is universal but not for you".

He doesn't have to agree with everything David Cameron does but he could at least be a civilised and polite human being. I don't like David Cameron myself but if anyone praised me on a talent I had I would definitely not turn around and say "ohh but I disagree with you on an entirely unrelated issue. Don't listen to my music anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. Hang your head in shame, Cameron. He just name dropped The Smiths as an attempt to appear 'cool' to students. Those of you who are getting a bit riled up, calling Morrissey pretentious. What can I say? I guess you're right, but he is very right in what he's saying here. You just don't like it, do you?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.