Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Queen's, Belfast still do dissection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicz)
    I know Kings and Imperial do it.
    The two im really interested in are
    Barts and Newcastle.

By dissection, i mean cutting up dead people not animals or something.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm fairly certain Newcastle use prosection. BSMS, Cardiff and Leeds all use dissection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Does that mean it's actually increasing? :getmecoat:
    Thank you for your pedantry.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle definitely only use prosection.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff does it as well when I went to the open day
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    UEA offers dissection if you want to do it (3 people from each PBL group of 10 do it per year for the first 3 years)

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham do dissection
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Every medical schools does that.
    No.

e: Thanks for the neg. Actually, you're right. Everywhere does dissection. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Leicester, but Birmingham does not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    No, an optician is the one that dispensing the glasses. An optometrist is the examiner.
    Oh thats much better.

"Number one... or Number two..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Every medical schools does that.
    Well. No. They don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Well. No. They don't.
    Alright. I just thought so.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff - very early practice and clinical-based contact; as somebody else above said, up to 16 hours a week, in the first semester.

ReputationRep:
    I know that Brighton and Sussex, Cardiff and Leicester all do dissection.
    I'm sure theres quite a few others that do as well. Lots only do prosection though!
    I'm not entirely sure about Barts actually, which is bad as I've applied there . They never mentioned it during the open day, so I assumed they didn't!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    I'm not entirely sure about Barts actually, which is bad as I've applied there . They never mentioned it during the open day, so I assumed they didn't!
    If I recall Barts is prosection only but you can do some dissection through SSC's.

I am not really sure what method I would prefer learning from/learn more from. Does anybody have any input? It's really difficult to make a decision without having learnt from both prosection and dissection prior to starting medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    Well from what I've read dissection isn't always the best way to learn anatomy. There isn't a consensus, but I have noticed on here (as well as others) seem to be prosecution being a more effective way of learning.

Prosection is is watching a experienced anatomist dissect a cadaver among a small group of students.

Also the numbers of the public donating their bodies after their death is declining, so there are some Universities that only offer prosection or even none at all, and rely on imaging software or models.
    surely we shouldnt discriminate against us wet dissectors? i know its a bit weird but prosecution is a bit of a big step imho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    If I recall Barts is prosection only but you can do some dissection through SSC's.

I am not really sure what method I would prefer learning from/learn more from. Does anybody have any input? It's really difficult to make a decision without having learnt from both prosection and dissection prior to starting medical school.
    1) Dissection. You invariably cut through things you're not supposed to, but it's an inherently interactive way of learning (and that also applies to learning about what you shouldn't have hacked through )
    2) Prosection. Everything has been dissected to perfection by some anatomy fiend. IMHO it's an inherently more efficient way of learning, and that's just fine with me in Year 2 (in which Imperial only do prosection; Year 1 is dissection with supplementary prosected specimens). Evidently less hands on by nature.

So, pros and cons to both then. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to experience both as standard; however, if it was a choice between 'pure prosection' and 'pure dissection' as it were (which is not in fact the reality at Imperial), I'd go for the former. But as a fresher, let's face it - everyone likes to cut stuff up

Whilst I'm at it, for the good of the wider thread I guess I should also try and dispel the myth that 'no dissection = no surgery', essentially. What a load of *******s.

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

Prosection works best for me. Mainly because when I get to the DR I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be looking for, so if I had to chop it up to get to it I'd probably end up slicing it in half by accident. It's just a lot easier for me to have someone showing me exactly what I should be looking at and explaining why it's important from a clinical and functional perspective, and much more memorable than hours spent poring over a textbook before rooting through a cadaver. I dare say if you're a keen bean dissection is probably brilliant, but there's only so many hours in the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

From my experience? Dissection wasn't particularly helpful at all, only thing that helped with was seeing a structure in its "context" and I couldn't really see anything anyway. Prosections on the other hand were invaluable.

For me, briefly looking through an anatomy atlas before the session + looking at a prosection was the best combo. Best combo for passing an exam that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Oh thats much better.

"Number one... or Number two..."

I tend to avoid saying that after practising on my six year old cousin and making him laugh. Usually go for 'lens one or lens two' instead, or 'position one or position two'.

Besides, there's more to it than just refracting people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.