Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brave teacher who sacrificed herself to expose liberalism in schools speaks out. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    And the word "daily fail" is used exclusively by idiots. :dontknow:
    Touché :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfos)
    To be honest I agreed with a lot of the things she said. When you're crap at your job, you normally get the sack. Teachers don't have this - bad teachers are extremely hard to get rid of. People here are just skimming it, picking out the sensationalist parts and churning the same-old lazy 'lol daily fail'. Bonus points if somebody posted the Daily Mail song, which they did. Basically most of you have put your heads in the sand and gone "lalala daily fail lalala not listening". In fact I think with that you're all proving her point.
    It's because the sensationalism just makes the whole thing laughable and obfuscates any actual point.

ReputationRep:
    I love how everyone here is posting as if they know everything about everything, typical TSR stuck up idiots.

Let me shed some light on the situation, my parents were both teachers in state schools in scotland, each teaching for about 30 years, so whilst I didn't experience anything myself I have drawn some conclusions from what they have said.

Both my parents are educated people, when they started teaching people with strong degrees from good universities would go into teaching. Now apparently they would be lucky to get people with 3rds from old polytechnics, and I'm not surprised.

My dad had 30 years experience teaching maths eventually rising to head of department, he was forced out of his job when funding for advanced higher (A-level maths) was cut and they could no longer offer it to students yet 2 new 'business managers' had been employed at the school each earning 80k a year.

This seemed fairly standard, large amounts of potential teaching time and resources was being wasted by bureaucracy.

Not only that but over the last 15 years the whole discipline system broke down within schools. Teachers are barely allowed to shout at disruptive pupils now for fear of reprisals. The current 'I know my rights, you cant talk to me like that' mindset of pupils is pretty disgusting, there is no respect for teachers by pupils nowadays.

One such example, one of my dad's colleagues asked a particuarly troublesome pupil in the class to move, she said no, he told her to stand up, picked up her chair and desk and moved it to the front of the class. The next day he was called up infront of the headteacher, he had been accused of hitting her. This girl was a known troublemaker who pretty much everyone hated, several other pupils from the class told the head she was talking ****, but it still dragged on for months and months, the police got involved, he almost lost his job, until she finally owned up to the fact she was lying, and what happens to her? 3 day suspension.

My dad was accused several times of being racist/sexist for punishing non-white/female pupils, he had a knife pulled on him by someone in his class, this chap was back in the school within 3 days as well. It's absolutely ridiculous.

My mum taught in arguably an even worse school where she was a guidance teacher as well (helped with social/family problems). All her time was being wasted filling in forms and talking to angry parents whos children had been punished but 'they have their rights innit you cannae dae that'.

Until respect is restored from pupil to teacher the education system is going to descend into farce, hopefully this new government can undo some of the stupidity of the last 13 years.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if she realised that she would've also probably been fired had she spoken at any other party conference without seeking any local authority permission? Or was this fact rather conveniently lost in the page long whine about liberalism? The fact that she describes Michael Gove as having new and exciting ideas is nauseating enough, I find it hard to believe that this woman has ever walked into a classroom, let alone taught in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    I love how everyone here is posting as if they know everything about everything, typical TSR stuck up idiots.

Let me shed some light on the situation, my parents were both teachers in state schools in scotland, each teaching for about 30 years, so whilst I didn't experience anything myself I have drawn some conclusions from what they have said.

Both my parents are educated people, when they started teaching people with strong degrees from good universities would go into teaching. Now apparently they would be lucky to get people with 3rds from old polytechnics, and I'm not surprised.

My dad had 30 years experience teaching maths eventually rising to head of department, he was forced out of his job when funding for advanced higher (A-level maths) was cut and they could no longer offer it to students yet 2 new 'business managers' had been employed at the school each earning 80k a year.

This seemed fairly standard, large amounts of potential teaching time and resources was being wasted by bureaucracy.

Not only that but over the last 15 years the whole discipline system broke down within schools. Teachers are barely allowed to shout at disruptive pupils now for fear of reprisals. The current 'I know my rights, you cant talk to me like that' mindset of pupils is pretty disgusting, there is no respect for teachers by pupils nowadays.

One such example, one of my dad's colleagues asked a particuarly troublesome pupil in the class to move, she said no, he told her to stand up, picked up her chair and desk and moved it to the front of the class. The next day he was called up infront of the headteacher, he had been accused of hitting her. This girl was a known troublemaker who pretty much everyone hated, several other pupils from the class told the head she was talking ****, but it still dragged on for months and months, the police got involved, he almost lost his job, until she finally owned up to the fact she was lying, and what happens to her? 3 day suspension.

My dad was accused several times of being racist/sexist for punishing non-white/female pupils, he had a knife pulled on him by someone in his class, this chap was back in the school within 3 days as well. It's absolutely ridiculous.

My mum taught in arguably an even worse school where she was a guidance teacher as well (helped with social/family problems). All her time was being wasted filling in forms and talking to angry parents whos children had been punished but 'they have their rights innit you cannae dae that'.

Until respect is restored from pupil to teacher the education system is going to descend into farce, hopefully this new government can undo some of the stupidity of the last 13 years.
    This is more or less what I was trying to get at. Unfortunately I get hit with neg rep by the same stuck-up types who think their opinion is the divine correct one and don't like hearing arguments. My mum works in schools and sees a lot of this type of thing going on, saying it's extremely hard to properly discipline or suspend kids because teachers don't have as much power to do so. Instead they have to refer to some board of governers higher up, who more often than not stop them. Yes the article was sensationalist, but I don't see how pointing that out denies that there are problems with the education system and everything is fine and dandy when it clearly isn't.

(Original post by beesbees)
      It's because the sensationalism just makes the whole thing laughable and obfuscates any actual point.
      So what if it is sensationalist? I've read Guardian articles, especially ones on climate change and women/minority rights that were borderline hysterical, yet most people here would be showering the articles with praise left and right because it's from a paper that's ideologically in line with their views.

ReputationRep:
      Ridiculous article, really, it's savagely awful

In fact, it actually denigrates Conservatives to the point where it'd lose them votes

ReputationRep:
      She evidently doesn't know what liberalism is (except in the sloppy American sense); it's what she's arguing for. :rolleyes:
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      The irony of it all. The daily mail champions classic liberal ideas. Small state few benefits free market ect. I cannot stand this American definition of the word liberal.

ReputationRep:
      I hate all you left wing sheep.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
      I hate all you left wing sheep.
      It's ok honey, we hate all you right-wing sheep

Personally, it isn't so much what she says but the fact a) she seems to have nothing but anecdotal evidence and b) spews it all out like it is the word of God, that really irritates me OP.

And yep, to whoever said it - the Guardian can be pretty hysterical sometimes but mainly only Polly Townbee: generally it is hardly comparable to the Daily Mail

She's right about one thing. Anyone who agreed with some of her points just got negged into oblivion while not actually debating their posts. This site is such a joke sometimes.

ReputationRep:

'Idiots' who know that 'daily fail' is two words...

ReputationRep:
        She's a stupid witch who doesn't belong in the education profession. The idea that a conservative should be able to stand up and teach minds, whether they be at a school or university, is ludicrous. The first question on any application form for teaching/academic jobs at schools, colleges and universities should be 'Are you a Tory'? If the answer is yes, then it should be put in the bin.

ReputationRep:
        Good logic there, really follows through. :borat:

The Daily Mail is an awful, awful newspaper.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Teveth)
        She's a stupid witch who doesn't belong in the education profession. The idea that a conservative should be able to stand up and teach minds, whether they be at a school or university, is ludicrous. The first question on any application form for teaching/academic jobs at schools, colleges and universities should be 'Are you a Tory'? If the answer is yes, then it should be put in the bin.
        Now you're just trolling. No serious person could be that retarded:facepalm2:

To humour you.. my history teacher was a staunch conservative and elitist. He was an amazing teacher. I haven't turned into a tory. Should he not be allowed to teach?

Gtfo, you give liberals a bad name.

ReputationRep:
        I think the sensationalist manner of the article does detract from its content, but can we not look past that and try and take something from it? Being a teacher in modern times has been made very difficult, you can't even raise a hand to stop a violent pupil thesedays without the possibility of some serious litigation heading your way. Teachers need to have power to control classes! Disruption is the status quo in most British schools- you just don't find this behaviour in other countries. Granted I've only seen schools in India and France to compare, but certainly it was a pretty surprising difference.

ReputationRep:
        What a load of BS

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Linweth)
        Seems this person has acquired the skill of perception.
        insight fail

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Kolya)
        But the worst part of the article was its perpetuation of the idea of uselessly broad political groupings: "liberalism", "right-wing", "left-wing". What about what psychiatrists, psychologists and economists have to say about education? What about well-researched statistical evidence about the effects of various teaching methods? We don't see any mention of it in the article. Instead, we just see shallow, anecdotally supported claims presented in the name of political ideologies.
        Indeed, plus - as a right-wing liberal, I can't say I really understand what trying to find new ways of teaching children has to do with liberalism.

That said, I do object to the general politicisation of schoolteachers. It seems so odd, indeed, that a middle class profession should have one of the most influential (and obnoxious!) trade unions in the country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.