The Student Room Group

How the fudge do you remember doctor's appointments?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Blueflare

Also, you're kind of an ass for not going to your appointments. It wastes the doctor's time.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that fact. Believe me, it's not done intentionally. If I knew I couldn't make the appointment, I'd walk down there and cancel it. The only consolation is that at least the other person with the same time slot as me gets the full 10 minute appointment, instead of 5.
Reply 21
Mum's my health diary :holmes:
Original post by Terpsikhore
You do those things every day. In the case of brushing your teeth, you even do them at the exact same time every day.

As you only go to the doctors once every few years, it never occurs to me when I wake up in the morning that today is going to be any different from any other day because I have to go the the surgery at 9:30, or whatever. I just go about doing the same things I do every day.

If I went to the doctor's every morning at 09:10 and every evening at 00:30, like brushing my teeth, I'd be fine.

Must be utterly boring living the same routine every day. Perhaps that is why you can't remember appointments, you expect every day to be exactly the same.
Reply 23
Original post by fire2burn
Must be utterly boring living the same routine every day. Perhaps that is why you can't remember appointments, you expect every day to be exactly the same.

That's exactly it, but unfortunately knowing why doesn't stop me doing it. I don't find my life boring. Conversely, waking up in the morning and not knowing exactly what was going to happen that day would drive me insane. I don't understand how people can function WITHOUT a set routine. But now I'm getting off-topic.

Original post by cloud.9
I say write it out using MS paint and set it as your laptop's wallpaper

Good plan. Maybe if I'm faced with it every time I boot the computer up, after a while it'll sink in.
Original post by Muffinz
Write them down on your calendar and get there in good time :/

This. OP is an idiot.
Reply 25
This is sort of irrelevant, since I've made 3 doctor's appointments in the last 4 years at this surgery and missed them all, so they won't give me another appointment now. As I live in the sticks, they're the only surgery for miles, rendering me doctorless until such time as I move house to a different town. But I'll ask anyway.
How on Earth do you remember to turn up for appointments?
I've tried writing them in a diary (forgot to check the diary), setting an alarm on my phone (when it went off, I had no idea what it was for), writing it on a post-it note on my bedroom door (two days later it fell off and I didn't notice), asking someone to remind me (they refused, which I can't argue with), and now I'm running out of ideas. Same-day appointments are fine. Routine ones made 10 days in advance - no chance. By the time the appointment rolls around, I've forgotten I even made it in the first place.
Right now, like I said, it's irrelevant, and since the problems in question (hacking up a lung after mild exertion and an unrelated lump in my right breast) have been ongoing for 4 years I doubt they're going to kill me! But at some point in my life I presumably am going to have to register with another practice so I can see a doctor. And I'd rather not have to do that every 5 years for the rest of my life because I keep getting barred from surgeries...

I have a solution for you!

It literally took me years to find this... but... after millions (probably) of missed appointments, I found: google calendar.

It takes 1 minute to make a gmail account if you don't have one. Then go to https://www.google.com/calendar

Add your appointment to the correct day. Then go to
Settings (top right) - > Calendar Settings. Then click Mobile Setup. Confirm your mobile no (its free and they don't use your number for anything else).

Now when you make a new appointment, you can add a reminder "SMS" - google will text you for free whenever you want to be reminded of an appointment!

Personally I add an email reminder for 1 day in advance. And a SMS reminder for 1.5 hours in advance.

Hope this helps...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Good plan. Maybe if I'm faced with it every time I boot the computer up, after a while it'll sink in.

Doesn't work. I actually tried this kind of thing, but eventually you just "tune out" the notice because you see it so much.
Reply 27
Original post by Michael Locke
This. OP is an idiot.

OP has never needed to own a calendar, for want of anything to write on it. OP also comes from a family where the father once forgot to go to work, has to keep his own telephone number taped next to the phone and doesn't know which month his children were born in or how old they are. Unfortunately, I take after him.

Original post by RELAXED
I have a solution for you!
Now when you make a new appointment, you can add a reminder "SMS" - google will text you for free whenever you want to be reminded of an appointment!

Thank you!!
My uni doctor's surgery used to send text messages 1 hour before appointments as a matter of course, and the one time I made an appointment there I (of course) forgot all about it until the message arrived. I ended up being 35 minutes early instead. :P Even better, my landline reads SMS messages out, so I wonder if I can put my home number in and get the message sent there?...then there's no way I can miss the message, even when my mobile is turned off.
Reply 28
I'm concerned. :lolwut:
My memory serves well, but sometimes I use a calendar and others use diary or get text alerts or something.
Reply 30
That's exactly it, but unfortunately knowing why doesn't stop me doing it. I don't find my life boring. Conversely, waking up in the morning and not knowing exactly what was going to happen that day would drive me insane. I don't understand how people can function WITHOUT a set routine. But now I'm getting off-topic.

Are you autistic? Serious question here.
Original post by Cicerao

Original post by Cicerao
I'm concerned. :lolwut:

Yeah it makes you wonder, I'd've thought a doctor's appointment is important enough to remember. :hmmmm2:
I usually remember but I save it in my phone just in case :smile:
Reply 33
The same way everyone else does. Just use some common sense. :facepalm:
Reply 34
Original post by Cicerao
Are you autistic? Serious question here.

Technically yes, but I've never paid much attention to that. I consider myself too high-functioning to be regarded as disabled. There is a diagnosis and a psychiatrist's report languishing in a medical file somewhere from when I was younger, but I don't mention it.

(Edited because originally I wrote 'never mention it', and then decided that was inaccurate.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Technically yes, but I've never paid much attention to that. I consider myself too high-functioning to be regarded as disabled. There is a diagnosis and a psychiatrist's report languishing in a medical file somewhere from when I was younger, but I don't mention it.

(Edited because originally I wrote 'never mention it', and then decided that was inaccurate.)

Maybe tell your doctors that you're technically autistic (even if they know already if it isn't brought up often they may have forgotten), apologize about missing the appointments, and explain the poor memory and that you are going to use the google calendar thing to remember them and see if they will unbar you?
google calender along with gmail notifier. :awesome:

Saying that, I did forget once :colondollar: :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 37
Original post by Absinth
You sound like a troll.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not.
Reply 38
requisition a brain OP theyre good for remembrancing.
Reply 39
Original post by Persephone9
Maybe tell your doctors that you're technically autistic (even if they know already if it isn't brought up often they may have forgotten), apologize about missing the appointments, and explain the poor memory and that you are going to use the google calendar thing to remember them and see if they will unbar you?

I'll leave trying to get unbarred for the next time I need an appointment - give them time to cool off. I think I'll leave the (probably bogus) autism diagnosis out of things though. But ta for the advice.

Original post by Absinth
In that case, I pity you.

Why, because I can't remember doctor's appointments? Seems like a silly thing to waste your pity on. I'm sure there are people who deserve it more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending