Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do your parents hit you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    That is really, really awful :hugs:

I've only ever had smacks on the bum as a kid, for being naughty etc. I think the last time was when I was like 7 or 8.

There's no way either of my parents would hit me like that. I hope you're okay OP It must be really awful to live with someone like that. What does your mum say about it, and does it happen a lot?
    In a situation like OP's I really doubt their Mum has any say on the matter. Likely neutral or vaguely sides with the Husband to appease him, better to be quiet then to be hit yourself, possibility sympathetic when the Husband isn't home, but likely still not admitting to his flaws, more like "I know he gets a bit bad tempered sometimes, he's just stressed, try not to give him a reason dear."

But yes it does seem needlessly aggressive to me. May I ask what your ethnic background is?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    So you went into your parents room, whilst they were (possibly) engaging in foreplay, and told them to keep it down.

Seriously who do you think you are. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My dad has always hit me for not doing what he wants or for my 'bad' attitude. I for one would never hit my own child.
    An example of this was last night when he and my mum were in bed they kept talknig and kissing and I was meant to have an exam today so at midnight i was just going over my stuff so I opened my door and said can you please be quiet?? im trying to study! then he comes barging into my room saying who the **** do you think you are and all this then picks up my juice as if he was going to throw it on me (he decided not to though i presume because my mum ocd and this would have driven her crazy) then he snapped my pen then he hit me on the head with his hands in a slapping motion then his hand got caught on my lip so the inside of my mouth is now all swollen he then left then had a discussion with my mum then came back into my room and slapped me again.

Did I really deserve that?
    That was an over the top reaction. Like JAZZA007 said that is domestic abuse. I have been slapped a few times by my parents but my younger brother has been punched. My mum would do a minor slap, not so hard. My dad does not do anything but when he is drunk, you don't want to **** with him. Usually he would smack my brothers face off but this one time he threw some punches. The time he threw them punches, my brother had it kind of coming, he was being a complete ass that day. When he does not get what he wants, he would go on a riot and make a scene. He would make it hell for everyone around him. He just does not understand or get that we are not super rich and just does not accept we kind have everything. It's hard to put that in his skull.

But yeah, back to topic. What did your mum say? Hitting a younger person, especially a girl is kind of wrong. Have you did anything like wrong in the past to upset them to an extent where you kind of felt you deserved that? Have you like stole from them or just generally do something wrong? But yeah, hitting a child is wroing, I too would never hit my kids, if I ever have any but yeh. It sucks and I hope things get sorted out for you, especially on the night before a exam. That has so many mental impacts before you take the exam, it must have only made it harder for you. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    your dad is trying to get laid then you go and do that you sound like a **** it's his house if you want to study you can go somewhere quiet

ReputationRep:
    My (ex)step-dad used to hit me and grab my shirt then throw me into the bookcases in my house and make me pick up the books that consequently fell off.

This was all behind my mums back, and I was too scared to say anything to my mum as she told my stepdad everything I said about him, (which then would make him angry and make him carry on)

Thinking back, there were so many opportunities ( having evidence;big bruises) I had to go to the police/phone childline but I was just too scared to do anything. If my mum commented on why I had big bruises I would just say to her that they were from school.

I was only like 6-7 when he started and he left when I was 15. Completely ruined my childhood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    So you went into your parents room, whilst they were (possibly) engaging in foreplay, and told them to keep it down.

It was very late at night and she had an exam the next day, and her parents were stopping her studying...

She could've been more polite but her parents seem to have been way OTT imo

ReputationRep:
    No, never been hit.

(Original post by yoyo462001)

Someone who was trying to study and probably didn't want to hear their parents do that?

ReputationRep:
    Never been hit or even shouted at, have a pretty awesome relationship with parents

ReputationRep:
    My dad has always hit me for not doing what he wants or for my 'bad' attitude. I for one would never hit my own child.
    An example of this was last night when he and my mum were in bed they kept talknig and kissing and I was meant to have an exam today so at midnight i was just going over my stuff so I opened my door and said can you please be quiet?? im trying to study! then he comes barging into my room saying who the **** do you think you are and all this then picks up my juice as if he was going to throw it on me (he decided not to though i presume because my mum ocd and this would have driven her crazy) then he snapped my pen then he hit me on the head with his hands in a slapping motion then his hand got caught on my lip so the inside of my mouth is now all swollen he then left then had a discussion with my mum then came back into my room and slapped me again.

Happens to me too. I don't get on with my parents. Today is supposed to be my birthday.

(Original post by Cobrabite11)
    Happens to me too. I don't get on with my parents. Today is supposed to be my birthday.
    I guess i could second that as I don't really get on with my family at all.
    My dad never really lived with us our whole life he'd come back in our lives whenever he wanted and then he came back in my life in my first year in high school and I found it hard to take orders from him and i remember a day he beat me up so badly.
    Now I have learnt to live in my room and come out in my time of need.

ReputationRep:
    Your dad sounds like a total ****, quite frankly. His reaction was OTT and unjustified.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, not so much in the past few months but the last time i was sitting on my bed and my dad came in, tipped it over then threw a desk at me, which was a bit mental (luckily it didn't really hit me, seeing as i was on the floor shielded by a bed at that point and my mum tried to rip my lip ring out (that was a while ago, but ouch. i'm surprised at how strong lips are, though)
    my house is oh so cheerful

ReputationRep:
    I think smacking is good.

ReputationRep:
    Work out for a few months and hit him back

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, you didn't deserve that. My Dad used to hit me starting from when I was young till about 13/14. Just try to stay out of his way.

ReputationRep:
    Not anymore, no. Maybe when I was like 8/9 and misbehaving? In answer to your question, no, you do not deserve to be treated like that. That is abuse and you should talk to somebody trusted about it - not your mother, because (I'm just guessing from your post, so please do correct me if I'm wrong) she seems to either condone this abuse or is too scared to do anything about it. How old are you? I really hope that you find the courage to tell somebody about this, there are people that you can speak to anonymously if you cant face telling somebody you know face to face. x

ReputationRep:
    Only in a joking way. Once my brother set his status as a slightly sexist joke and mum saw it. She then waited at the bottom of the stairs as he came down them, punched him in the back of the head and yelled "And you'll be getting that every day until you learn some respect!" Oh how we laughed...!

ReputationRep:

He hit your head and got caught on your lip?
    Please expand on that, i don't see how he got caught on your lip tbh..

ReputationRep:
    yh im 24 and still live with my parents and they still hit me it really makes me upset and i am scared of people now i always walk around with my head down and hands in my pockets and walk really fast so i dont encounter anyone who might hit me and try to stay inside as much as possible but thats where they hit me for no reason other than usually 'stop being a drip' and they say how ashamed they are something like me is their son and it really upsets me but anyway yes they do hit me

ReputationRep:
    All these people are expressing these violent experiences, but seriously, what good will telling strangers about it through text?
    Sure im used to a **** of a father but pouring my heart out here won't achieve anything. Just wait until your dad is too old to look after himself, then laugh at him(and possibly push him out of his wheelchair) when he asks for help tbh.
    if you are that concerned, tell the right people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.