Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    Have you read bad science ?
    How'd you guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Jatt_Joker)
    Thank you and thanks to everyone who has answered.
    It seems odd to me that its still quite popular despite any concrete evidence.
    Organised religion is pretty popular too, go figure.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are missing the point. You can't use homeopathy for certain diseases, you treat the person as a whole. Hence why you can't measure it easily. There ARE studies which show it's efficacy.

Some things to name but a few homeopaths have done are things doctors have said were IMPOSSIBLE even with operations and I went back and when I explained whta had happened they said I must not be looking at it properly as it was impossible and then when they saw it had healed the doctor couldn't believe her eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok like in blind testing right?

As far as i can understand Homeopathy uses a chemical which is diluted to about 10^20. The body will then heal itself??
    I think they're generally diluted to 10^60 but it is variable. The one meant to remedy flu is diluted to 10^400.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    It's a load of ****ing horse****.
    troll (your sig)

ReputationRep:
    does anyone actually know how it cures people or is this explained by the placebo effect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    troll (your sig)
    NO WAI!!! 1111 :king1:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by houseelf)
    How'd you guess?
    I'm just reading it now and noticed some similarities lol, but it is a good explanation of how diluted these things are.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone actually know how it cures people or is this explained by the placebo effect?
    The only way it 'cures' people is by the placebo effect. Every single study shows this. Homeopathy does not work in any other way, yet people are fooled into believing it works in the same way as real medicine. This in turn amplifies the placebo effect.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    NO WAI!!! 1111 :king1:
    You're telling me you got 3 S's in step I, II and III, something which only the most gifted and world class mathematicians can do. Yet you decided to choose bath medical school who's conditions are A*A*A*A*(which I cant seem to see on their website)
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    I'm just reading it now and noticed some similarities lol, but it is a good explanation of how diluted these things are.
    Bad science is one of the best books I have read in the last few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    You're telling me you got 3 S's in step I, II and III, something which only the most gifted and world class mathematicians can do. Yet you decided to choose bath medical school who's conditions are A*A*A*A*(which I cant seem to see on their website)

Bad science is one of the best books I have read in the last few years
    The student doesn't choose Bath Medical School, Bath Medical School chooses the student :yes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    The student doesn't choose Bath Medical School, Bath Medical School chooses the student :yes:
    lol! If you actually done all of that then you are officially god, but it does seem impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    There ARE studies which show it's efficacy.
    I believe they call this Type I error.

ReputationRep:
    Completely ineffective? Yes. Harmless? Most of the time. The problem is when people reject mainstream medicine for homeopathy, especially when the condition is serious. There have been actual deaths resulting from this happening.

ReputationRep:
    Once again thanks everyone for answering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    Some things to name but a few homeopaths have done are things doctors have said were IMPOSSIBLE even with operations and I went back and when I explained whta had happened they said I must not be looking at it properly as it was impossible and then when they saw it had healed the doctor couldn't believe her eyes.
    Some things? Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    You guys are missing the point. You can't use homeopathy for certain diseases, you treat the person as a whole. Hence why you can't measure it easily. There ARE studies which show it's efficacy.

Baaahhahahahahahah.

ReputationRep:
    do you know what they call ingredients/chemicals/herbs that ACTUALLY work? MEDICINE. homoeopathic [correct spelling btw, unlike OPtard] "remedies" are at most placebos that retards fall for. they do nothing otherwise. like hitting a ghost pokemon with mega punch - it does nothing. like splash - it does nothing.

ReputationRep:
    It takes advantage of the placebo effect - the only problem is that the only people who would benefit from the placebo effect are those already scientifically ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    get on to youtube, listen to Storm by Tim Minchin it quite nicely sums up the thread. one line in particular

"By definition, alternative medicine has either not been proved to work, or has been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work?

Medicine"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.