Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do girls comment "stunning" on unattractive girl's facebook pics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate when not attractive people comment on hideous pictures of themselves like 'I like this one.'

Yes, I'm shallow and mean. Kill me now.

ReputationRep:
    Guys also do this...how many bloody attractive men are with ugly girls and think they're attractive? It boggles my braaaaain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    Ugly Girl 1: 'wow you stunner'
    Ugly girl 2: 'why thanks, but you're even more beautiful'

Its this whole, you comment on my picture telling me I'm beautiful, and I'll do likewise.
    hahahaha oh my i've seen this happen loads of times!!!

i dont care if they do this kinda thing because i have no right to judge someone on looks, but it does seem to contribute to these girls getting big-headed that they're really hot, etc. etc. and makes nice girls become biaatchesss

ReputationRep:
    As well as the reasons people have said above, sometimes it's because, to that person, they are stunning.

ReputationRep:
    Girl 1: "stunning"
    Girl 2: "oooh im not tbf, i look disgusting in this!!!"
    Me: "LOL you are fair fugly in this one, I agree."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    thannnk you guyss xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    Girl 2 - OMG say dat to my face!!
    Me- No thanks

ReputationRep:
    They hope for similar comments in return and/or they care about the other girl and are aware that such comments will make her feel good about herself.
    The main thing is that how "stunning" the girl actually is is entirely irrelevant to the phenomenon.

ReputationRep:
    I usually pick out one nice feature in that picture. eg you look thin, your teeth look really white, your skin looks clear, i like your top etc

Don't really know if that's weird but hey it's just what I do. And at least it's honest.

ReputationRep:
    "stunning" is thoroughly laced with ambiguity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    ok, this might sound really mean.. well it does but whatever, most people think it...

why do girls post things like "gorgeous" and "stunning" on other girls profile pics even if they're... not? (trying to put it nicely here!)

why do they have to comment at all? in my experience it just makes some of them really big headed and arrogant.

EDIT - before anyone says anything, i don't think they should go around saying "ewww fuglay" or anything, i'm just wondering why they say anything, because on facebook i find that the less than attractive girls get all the "beautiful" comments and the genuinly really pretty ones hardly get any, and seem to be nicer too.
    you have a good point....I have a lot of friends that are not conventionally attractive but they are beautiful people and have really nice personalities and when I see pictures of them just smiling, being happy and themselves rather than posing and being fake than that to me is beautiful rather than a pic of a stunning girl pouting and showing no personality. I think that if you know someone well, the beauty inside can be seen in their pictures and this is something that only a friend can notice and not something a stranger can identify. also as they are my friends I would want them to be happy with the way they look and not insecure and will give them compliments.

ReputationRep:
    Girls often seem to have FB profile pictures with an uglier friend. Anyone else notice that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    you have a good point....I have a lot of friends that are not conventionally attractive but they are beautiful people and have really nice personalities and when I see pictures of them just smiling, being happy and themselves rather than posing and being fake than that to me is beautiful rather than a pic of a stunning girl pouting and showing no personality. I think that if you know someone well, the beauty inside can be seen in their pictures and this is something that only a friend can notice and not something a stranger can identify. also as they are my friends I would want them to be happy with the way they look and not insecure and will give them compliments.
    yeah, i'm talking about the pictures of them posing, you know, taken in the bathroom, bedroom mirror etc. where people are commenting on their attractivness, not how great they are as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    1. they are genuinely trying to be nice / feel sorry for them
    2. trying to become closer as friends and are hoping for the same treatment in return
    3. they are deluded and actually think they look good
    4. they think they look good on that particular photo compared to how they usually look
    5. they're being ironic and are laughing their asses of with their friends while the person in question goes "aww thanks luv, u too xoxo"

I, however, never tell someone they're beautiful unless they actually are :pierre:
    You summed it up nicely.

ReputationRep:
    One glittered up, fat, fake-nail-covered hand washes the other, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    I usually pick out one nice feature in that picture. eg you look thin, your teeth look really white, your skin looks clear, i like your top etc

Don't really know if that's weird but hey it's just what I do. And at least it's honest.
    LOL, I'd love to see that. Some girl have clearly put a LOT of effort into her appearance and photo and the friends go:

Friend 1: omg hottieee
    Friend 2. u look so cute! luv uu xx
    Friend 3. your skin looks clear

ReputationRep:
    The exact same reason girls like to have pictures taken with much uglier girls. It makes them comparatively much more attractive.

And lots of guys do this too tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    ok, this might sound really mean.. well it does but whatever, most people think it...

why do girls post things like "gorgeous" and "stunning" on other girls profile pics even if they're... not? (trying to put it nicely here!)

why do they have to comment at all? in my experience it just makes some of them really big headed and arrogant.

EDIT - before anyone says anything, i don't think they should go around saying "ewww fuglay" or anything, i'm just wondering why they say anything, because on facebook i find that the less than attractive girls get all the "beautiful" comments and the genuinly really pretty ones hardly get any, and seem to be nicer too.
    They expect others to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    LOL, I'd love to see that. Some girl have clearly put a LOT of effort into her appearance and photo and the friends go:

Friend 1: omg hottieee
    Friend 2. u look so cute! luv uu xx
    Friend 3. your skin looks clear
    hahah or

you look.... thin

would be great

but its a good idea

ReputationRep:
    Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Maybe for her that girl is pretty and for you she's not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.