Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Greatest prime minister of the 20th/21st century! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diabolic99)
    Just how sure are you? I'm pretty sure he was a British prime minister in the 1880s.
    Benjamin Disraeli was Prime Minister in 1880, not 50 cent.

Could you just stop, you are not funny.

ReputationRep:
    Atlee, for changing this country more than anyone since Gladstone.

Thatcher, for being the last prime minister of this country with any balls (metaphorically speaking)

Lloyd George, for leaving a socially equitable legacy that every liberal can be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    This is completely wrong. No prime minister is ever elected by the people. The leader of the largest party is the one who is chosen by the monarch to be prime minister. The people only decide the MP for their constituency, so please stop peddling the myth that he was never elected. I wasn't a fan of Brown either, but the idea that you are putting forward is a warped view of reality.

In regards to the question:

Churchill and Thatcher.
    ok, maybe i should word myself better :rolleyes:

people elected the Labour Party in 1997 when Tony Blair was prime minister. him being prime minister must have had some influence over voters. the Labour Party was never elected in when Gordon Brown was prime minister.

gosh people are so picky on here :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
    Benjamin Disraeli was Prime Minister in 1880, not 50 cent.

Could you just stop, you are not funny.

Where in my post did I say I was trying to be funny? :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfactorfan)
    ok, maybe i should word myself better :rolleyes:

people elected the Labour Party in 1997 when Tony Blair was prime minister. him being prime minister must have had some influence over voters. the Labour Party was never elected in when Gordon Brown was prime minister.

gosh people are so picky on here :rolleyes:
    I'm picky because it is the one thing that annoys me and I sympathise with Brown on. I never liked him as PM, but people focussed on something that wasn't true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diabolic99)
    Where in my post did I say I was trying to be funny? :rolleyes:
    just piss off you utter knob.

If you said something remotely witty I might have raised a smile. But your not funny, all you can do is say "50 cent" when someone asks who was the best prime minister, it is a deserpate attempt to be funny or zany or whatever. And it has failed miserably, you just look like a knob.

Now do yourself a favour and **** off, before you embarress yourself any further, you tit

ReputationRep:
    David Lloyd George. A true progressive liberal, politicians today should be more like him.

Out of allll PMs I'd go for Disraeli myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I'm picky because it is the one thing that annoys me and I sympathise with Brown on. I never liked him as PM, but people focussed on something that wasn't true.
    Mandelson should have been PM tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Attlee by a large country mile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
    just piss off you utter knob.

If you said something remotely witty I might have raised a smile. But your not funny, all you can do is say "50 cent" when someone asks who was the best prime minister, it is a deserpate attempt to be funny or zany or whatever. And it has failed miserably, you just look like a knob.

Now do yourself a favour and **** off, before you embarress yourself any further, you tit
    You seem to be a little frustrated... Why not go and take a coffee break?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wartime Churchill. Without his leadership the country may have listened to the many voices asking us to make peace with Hitler.

Atlee or Thatcher would be my second choice.

ReputationRep:
    Atlee, definitely

ReputationRep:
    1. Churchill - His leadership in WWII was invaluable to the country. His peace time record was poor and he was an enthusiastic imperialist, but he was just what we needed after Chamberlain.

2. Atlee - Achieved an awful lot in a relatively short period in office

Worst - Pick any from Stanley Baldwin, Ramsey MacDonald, Edward Heath and Neville Chamberlain.

Sneaky admiration for Wilson as he was such a tricky and devious individual and because he said no to the US over Vietnam.

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between Blair and Brown.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clement Attlee for me

ReputationRep:
    oh come on churchil was just lucky to have been pm during the war. thatcher by a country mile. <3

ReputationRep:
    Clement Attlee.

For overseeing the creation of the National Health Service (amongst other welfare provisions).
    For the skillful application of Keynesian economics in the transition from a wartime to a peacetime economy.
    For helping establish the Homosexual Law Reform Society.

Margaret Thatcher said this of him:
    "Of Clement Attlee, however, I was an admirer. He was a serious man and a patriot. Quite contrary to the general tendency of politicians in the 1990s, he was all substance and no show".

ReputationRep:
    Clement Attlee.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    oh come on churchil was just lucky to have been pm during the war. thatcher by a country mile. <3
    :facepalm2: You realise that if he had not become PM there is a good chance we would have just made peace with Hitler

ReputationRep:
    Attlee or Blair.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.