Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    They don't approach you and see if you are okay! So they can check up on whether or not people are using resources properly. I can't see it as such a bad thing!
    Well, exactly. Yet before you said that you wish they'd have better things to do with their time (instead of "MOLE-stalking"). So I got confused. I think if they do check up on people via online resources then that's good. After all, not everyone's great at adjusting to new situations (academic or otherwise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    Well, exactly. Yet before you said that you wish they'd have better things to do with their time (instead of "MOLE-stalking"). So I got confused. I think if they do check up on people via online resources then that's good. After all, not everyone's great at adjusting to new situations (academic or otherwise).
    Well I have mixed opinions really. I can see why its done, but am not sure how benefical it really is! Ahh well.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a cheeky 5mins on a sofa before now -- I was very ill though! Stupid labs making me have to be in university that day :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    im sorry but whats an IC?
    Information Commons I presume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamTheKook)
    Information Commons I presume.
    thanks but someone else already told me. so you telling me was completely a waste of your time. lol you fail troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    thanks but someone else already told me. so you telling me was completely a waste of your time. lol you fail troll
    Troll?

(Original post by mollymustard)
    I think it could be - and it also happens when somebody accidently leaves a book, usb stick etc behind.

But yes, they do track how much you use the IC and MOLE as well. Tutors can actually access the records I have been told. Might be myth though...?
    I don't think the library could give out that kind of information to university staff, especially data about how much an individual has used the library building. It probably comes under the same regulations of data protection as keeping records of what you have borrowed private. Of course general statistics will be produced to monitor footfall versus electronic access but keeping track of indviduals would go against ethics codes.

Also whether someone has been into the library is less relevant these days given how much is avaliable remotely. I've only taken out about 5 books so far (on a taught postgrad course) mainly used electronic resources.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the library is part of the University, so they can give out whatever information they want (as it's all internal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laser)
    Well, the library is part of the University, so they can give out whatever information they want (as it's all internal)
    Basically this. And aparently they can look at book statistics as well - how many of certain lesson groups borrowed each book as it allows them to see which resources need more copies. So the long and the short of it is they have enough access to deduce things on certain courses as well.

ReputationRep:
    If you bring a duvet and are in pyjamas they will announce over the tannoy that "students are reminded that the IC is not for sleeping, please get up" and then they will take away your Ucard and not let you have it back until you leave. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsLadette)
    If you bring a duvet and are in pyjamas they will announce over the tannoy that "students are reminded that the IC is not for sleeping, please get up" and then they will take away your Ucard and not let you have it back until you leave. Fact.
    Ahh the angry IC tannoy announcements. Don't they just add extra fun to a revision session.

You are allowed pyjamas though I've seen a few girls go in them and felt a bit jealous when it got to 2am. Probably wouldn't do it myself though!

ReputationRep:
    I miss the IC now, might have to pay a visit when I get back...

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard a tannoy announcement that I can remember, which probably shows how little time I spend there. I really don't like the atmosphere of the IC, but I know people who say they work better there than anywhere else. I guess it's personal preference.

I've also managed to make it half way through my English Lit degree without taking a book out of any library. Now I'm slightly worried that my tutors may be aware of this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vickyy)
    I've also managed to make it half way through my English Lit degree without taking a book out of any library. Now I'm slightly worried that my tutors may be aware of this!
    I was thinking the same But I suppose they don't know if you've read and made notes from a book without taking it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    I was thinking the same But I suppose they don't know if you've read and made notes from a book without taking it out.
    Yeah, I mean if you're quoting and referencing the source in essays they must know you've read and researched the book in some way. I buy the core texts and usually just manage to find books online in PDF form or on Google Books. I'm in the middle of writing an essay using two different 400-page texts that I found in full online. It's so much easier to be able to search, highlight, copy and paste, etc. And obviously there's things like JSTOR for articles that you can download. I love the internet resources.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard a tannoy announcement that I can remember, which probably shows how little time I spend there. I really don't like the atmosphere of the IC, but I know people who say they work better there than anywhere else. I guess it's personal preference.
    I love the IC and I work really well there, I think it's mainly because I look around and everyone is working and so it makes me want to work too. Also I'm really nosy and always have a nose at what people are doing, watching somebody do some really complex maths always makes me want to kick my ass into gear!

But then again I know a lot of people who prefer St George's because it's quieter...I can see what they mean, the IC gets stupidly busy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    I love the IC and I work really well there, I think it's mainly because I look around and everyone is working and so it makes me want to work too. Also I'm really nosy and always have a nose at what people are doing, watching somebody do some really complex maths always makes me want to kick my ass into gear!

But then again I know a lot of people who prefer St George's because it's quieter...I can see what they mean, the IC gets stupidly busy
    I prefer home! It means I don't have to cart everything to the library (I always forget something vital anyway), can lounge about however I like, eat as loudly as I like, spread my papers out everywhere, talk to myself, etc etc. However I seem to be in the minority - most of my friends go to the IC or Western Bank to concentrate better.

ReputationRep:
    what's an IC btw?

ReputationRep:

You should try it sometime :P sounds kind of obvious but some of the texts on your course list on the 'My Library' tab are probably really helpful. I certainly couldn't have survived without them!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer home! It means I don't have to cart everything to the library (I always forget something vital anyway), can lounge about however I like, eat as loudly as I like, spread my papers out everywhere, talk to myself, etc etc. However I seem to be in the minority - most of my friends go to the IC or Western Bank to concentrate better.
    I lose all motivation and discipline when I'm at home! I'm always like 'oh, I'll just see what's on TV for fiiiiive minutes...' and then before I know it i've wasted an hour and done nothing

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.