Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiayi930829)
    Just had my Skype interview for St. Johns college PPE.

I was really nervous and got all tongue twisted. I could not express myself clearly. I could have done better.

What should I do now, do I wait for rejection or ask if I could have another go, do you think it's worth it?

Best of luck to all.
    Don't ask for another go. wait. Get some Hot Chocolate and some sweets. Nurse yourself back to life. Get ready for the next interview and don't think about the result of the Oxford PPE interview until Christmas eve.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The worst part is that I think I know what they were trying to get me to say, and I just couldn't find the right words to express myself. It's really frustrating and I panicked. There were lots of things I could have said but was too nervous to realise, and I feel a million times worse after each replay of the interview inside my head.
    Almost anyone who doesn't have their head in the clouds/up their arse gets this, regardless of how their interview actually went :hugs: As for wasting their time: I'm sure I don't need to tell you how competitive PPE is and how many people get cut pre-interview. So even if the interview didn't go as well as you hoped or it's a negative outcome, the decision to interview you in the first place would not have been made lightly. I sincerely doubt it was a waste of anyone's time

(Original post by Interpretation)
    I'm pretty sure my interviewers thought I couldn't speak english because I was panicking so much. At one point, I couldn't pronounce "vulnerability" and said "vulnerableblebleity&quo t; instead (I repeated it twice and ended up saying the same thing).
    I mispronounced the same word in two interviews (can't remember what it was now, but something that didn't merit mispronouncing :facepalm: ) and English is my only language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Exactly. Wait for the decision. I know to you it seems bad that you got nervous, but they'll understand that. Infact the fact that you got nervous shows you really want to go there, if you were to casual about it then they'd just think you didn't care.
    I am not sure if i seemed nervous to them, seeing as my way of showing nervousness is giving stupid answers and forgetting my manners. I think I forgot to thank them, and I began the whole thing with 'Hi!' as I was so overwhelmed by the fact that the people I searched on google are actually talking to me!

I really hate me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am not sure if i seemed nervous to them, seeing as my way of showing nervousness is giving stupid answers and forgetting my manners. I think I forgot to thank them, and I began the whole thing with 'Hi!' as I was so overwhelmed by the fact that the people I searched on google are actually talking to me!

I really hate me.
    A few things I forgot to say in the last post:

- These tutors are well-experienced and know candidates get nervous. They can differentiate between those who get tongue-tied and those who genuinely have nothing to say.
    - Nothing wrong with starting with hi. The interview at my first-choice college began with the tutor asking if I'd had breakfast (it was at 9am). Having spent three years having tutorials with him, I daresay had I said "no" he might have tried to make me some :rofl:
    - Lots of people get overwhelmed and it's nothing to panic about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interpretation)
    I'm pretty sure my interviewers thought I couldn't speak english because I was panicking so much. At one point, I couldn't pronounce "vulnerability" and said "vulnerableblebleity" instead (I repeated it twice and ended up saying the same thing).

And one thing, I just realized that I don't know the names of my interviewers. How pathetic is that?
    Seriously. I, a native English-speaker, had great trouble with pronouncing "meta-fiction" "Shakespeare" and "How do you do", and I'm applying for English. They'll know it's just nerves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I mispronounced the same word in two interviews (can't remember what it was now, but something that didn't merit mispronouncing :facepalm: ) and English is my only language
    (Original post by imomo16)
    Seriously. I, a native English-speaker, had great trouble with pronouncing "meta-fiction" "Shakespeare" and "How do you do", and I'm applying for English. They'll know it's just nerves.
    Thanks, guys Glad to know I was not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    A few things I forgot to say in the last post:

- These tutors are well-experienced and know candidates get nervous. They can differentiate between those who get tongue-tied and those who genuinely have nothing to say.
    - Nothing wrong with starting with hi. The interview at my first-choice college began with the tutor asking if I'd had breakfast (it was at 9am). Having spent three years having tutorials with him, I daresay had I said "no" he might have tried to make me some :rofl:
    - Lots of people get overwhelmed and it's nothing to panic about
    Thanks for those kind words, I am feeling better about the whole thing.

After all, even if the outcome isn't what I want, I would have learned from it and what more can one ask for? Thanks for the support.

ReputationRep:
    (I can quote now!)

Same here, I was shaking so much that I couldn't even write properly when the economics tutor asked me a probability question. So I did it in my head and now come to think of it I am not even sure if I got it right!

I am pretty sure they doubted their sanity on wanting to interview me. It lasted barely thirty minutes and I think they were pretty bored of my half-witted answers. I feel bad about being a waste of time.

I did a little research on the PPE tutors at St.Johns and I was aware of who was interview me, and it made it worse because I feel so very small and ignorant being interviewd by those brilliant people.
    Heyy...
    I had interview for Maths at Lincoln today...
    it was awful...I was struggling so badly....

How many interviewers were there for you??
    I had THREE.......scary moment:mad:

Dont worry about your interview...it's over....now just relax and hope we get in

ReputationRep:

I really hate me.
    hahahaaaaa I dint thank them too....i was far too involved with my stupidity at the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    You might of have done fine! Wait and see the outcome. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzy-joe)
    Heyy...
    I had interview for Maths at Lincoln today...
    it was awful...I was struggling so badly....

How many interviewers were there for you??
    I had THREE.......scary moment:mad:

Dont worry about your interview...it's over....now just relax and hope we get in
    Three, too. But it was PPE so one tutor for each subject seemed fair enough. And the whole thing being on Skype meant that I was only looking at one tutor at a time.

Yeah, I guess I should get some real sleep soon. I have been replaying the interview in my nightmares for the past two nights. Talking about nerves..

Hope everything turns out brilliantly for you!

ReputationRep:
    Three, too. But it was PPE so one tutor for each subject seemed fair enough. And the whole thing being on Skype meant that I was only looking at one tutor at a time.

Yeah, I guess I should get some real sleep soon. I have been replaying the interview in my nightmares for the past two nights. Talking about nerves..

Hope everything turns out brilliantly for you!
    In mine I could see all 3 tutors entire time during interview....but only 2 of them were actually asking me question..one was just sitting there

well.....Best of Luck

ReputationRep:
    Pray... and live life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    Sorry, miss. I blame the heavy drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, miss. I blame the heavy drinking.
    lol. I'm not a Nazi about it but I think people saying "could of" instead of "could have" is the misuse of English that I hate the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    lol. I'm not a Nazi about it but I think people saying "could of" instead of "could have" is the misuse of English that I hate the most.
    Unlike most normal people, those with dyslexia can't physically notice the mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    It's normal to get really nervous. Like mentioned before, you just have to wait really. You might have done better than you think. Who knows!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    It seems odd that anyone would wish to give commiserations and best wishes to someone whose merits they know nothing about. If this candidate gets in, it must be at the expense of some other candidate getting in (as no Oxford / Cambridge places ever go unfilled do they).
    So your concern for someone who decided to pipe up could be at the expense of some potentially better candidate.
    Are you seriously saying that wishing someone the best should be done on a carefully means-tested basis? Seriously? Expressions of concern from internet strangers do not exert some sort of magical influence on admission tutor's decisions. If the person was crap they won't get in and if they were good they will, the candidate doesn't know which it will be, neither do we, so where's the harm wishing them well?

ReputationRep:
    Unlike most normal people, those with dyslexia can't physically notice the mistakes.
    They are excused then =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Yes I think I am. Maybe I think too much about things in a 'general' sense rather than one that will be most welcomed by the people who I am conversing with but the harm in wishing them well is that we aren't equally wishing well all the other candidates. And then there are the students who are actually Oxbridge material who decided not to apply - too late to encourage them I suppose. And then there's the fact that more people have Oxbridge minimum standard grades these days because exam marking has become so debased. Too late to admit equally good candidates from previous years.

Many geniuses in history, renaissance men with ground breaking ideas and a great breadth and depth of knowledge and work ethic never went to Oxbridge so it's not a relative tragedy at all if nobody else in particular does either.

I'm with Shopenhauer - it's will rather than reason that controls all action - and that includes admittance to Oxbridge.
    I hereby well-wish every single person who applied to Oxford this year. Even my rivals. Hell, let's go for everyone who's applied to any university at all. And all those already at university, that they'll do well in their exams. Wait, no, let's just go for everyone anywhere who is hoping for their plans to succeed. Happy now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.