Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Surely you could, in theory? I mean, it wouldn't be a great system, but you could do it...

I knew someone who lived in Leicester and went to ARU.
    That's only about an hour though, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Aslong as you get in for lectures and seminars I don't see why a uni would care where you live, whether that be 5 mins away or on the moon :p:
    Who would live on the moon. That's so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Aslong as you get in for lectures and seminars I don't see why a uni would care where you live, whether that be 5 mins away or on the moon :p:
    I'm not sure most unis even care about that!! Haha

ReputationRep:
    I believe York have a limit of 30-50mi. Not sure, though, maybe it was 2h commute. It's better to check up with the uni, they might not be too happy about giving a place to someone living 2h or 3h away, so s/he is bound to miss more lectures because of commuting problems, than to someone who will live at uni (and pay accomodation, food, etc. to the uni itself) and will therefore be meant to have less problems in attending all lectures and seminars, and is bound to be more integrated in uni life.

I would not live far from my uni. In a 10mi radius, say. (I am pretty lazy for commuting, but I guess I'd put up with up to 20-25mi if necessary.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SergioMZ)
    I believe York have a limit of 30-50mi. Not sure, though, maybe it was 2h commute. It's better to check up with the uni, they might not be too happy about giving a place to someone living 2h or 3h away, so s/he is bound to miss more lectures because of commuting problems, than to someone who will live at uni (and pay accomodation, food, etc. to the uni itself) and will therefore be meant to have less problems in attending all lectures and seminars, and is bound to be more integrated in uni life.

I would not live far from my uni. In a 10mi radius, say. (I am pretty lazy for commuting, but I guess I'd put up with up to 20-25mi if necessary.)
    Out of interest, where did you hear this? Because I can find no sign of it, and was curious. And how would the uni (not necessarily York here) know you didn't plan to live there? You could just tick the box on the form, then once you've replied to the offer, you just don't apply for accommodation.

Also, I wonder how much the uni's desire for students to be integrated in uni life is exaggerated - have you seen much evidence of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Christ)
    Who would live on the moon. That's so stupid.
    :rolleyes: I said it to make a point.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I said it to make a point.
    And I was just being funny :ashamed2:

Well I know for a fact that, in 2002 at least, Cambridge had a rule where all first year undergraduates had to live in College accommodation. I might even be right in saying you had to live in university owned accommodation all the way through your degree (my brother did, just not in College). I believe Oxford had the same rule as you say, but I couldn't be sure. Mind you, Oxbridge are deeply rooted in tradition and you have an academic and social duty to your College - at Cambridge, even part time jobs were prohibited for this very reason.

I think some places do have a radius, though. Apparently Edinburgh University won't even send you an accommodation application form if your home address is within the city itself, and everybody I went to school who ended up studying there spent first year in a private rent or living at home :shudder:.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Johnny Christ)
      And I was just being funny :ashamed2:
      Aw. I thought you were being mean :sad:

ReputationRep:
      Aw. I thought you were being mean :sad:
      :console: Why do funny and mean have to be mutually exclusive?

ReputationRep:
      Sorry, i wasn't listening...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SergioMZ)
      We live 4.5 miles from our local uni yet my brother still went in halls :teehee:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ily_em)
      We live 4.5 miles from our local uni yet my brother still went in halls :teehee:
      Why did he really bother? If you cycled that at 10mph (a slow cycling speed), you'd be under half an hour away.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheSownRose)
      Why did he really bother? If you cycled that at 10mph (a slow cycling speed), you'd be under half an hour away.
      Idk, I guess he wanted the 'student lifestyle' and not to live at home any more He must think it's worth it because he's put down a deposit for a house next year!

ReputationRep:
      I've done long commutes in the past. The biggest problem is the physical exhaustion especially if you have to get different connections and carry lots of stuff. It's not just the hours the travelling takes out of your day. I found I was no good for anything any of the other hours of the day either, so I quickly stopped.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kat2pult)
      I know a girl at RHUL who commutes from Oxford every day. Another commutes from Manchester. Like wtf.

There's a girl in Kent who is in Belgium/Paris most weekends
      :eek3: The mind boggles.
      Wouldn't mind being the girl who spends weekends in Paris and Belgium though...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.