Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ever read a book and thought, "What?!" Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    The Castle by Kafka.

Utter mind melt, the last one.
    Yes Yes Yes

being a translation, and unfinished probably didn't help ... but i was just so :nothing: towards the book afterwards. also took an absolute time to read as well, even though the book is short-ish.

ReputationRep:
    Someone suggested to read the Yellow Wallpaper it's so confusing I had to google it to understand it, unless I'm just not that bright haha

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand the purpose in reading complicated books that leave you confused and are no enjoyment atall! I mean yeah, they sound smart but what's the point, is it actually ANY benefit in life, or is it just a waste of a few hours?
    Obviously I dont mean textbook type books, just the ones that they make you read in english class, that are supposed to mean something more than they say. I would just read those and see no further than the text if I was given them without a question implying it symbolizes something.
    So yeah, I just dont read WHAT?! books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean1210)
    The very end of 1984

I'm about 3/4 of the way through, should finish it off tonight. Is it a real humdinger?

ReputationRep:
    reading about quidditch aged 7 blew my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Tax Law textbook. :nooo:

:rofl:

I can't even rep you. "Please rate some other members before rating this member again"

Honest to god!

Spoiler:
    Show
    :angel:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeatherDBee)
    I dont understand the purpose in reading complicated books that leave you confused and are no enjoyment atall! I mean yeah, they sound smart but what's the point, is it actually ANY benefit in life, or is it just a waste of a few hours?
    Obviously I dont mean textbook type books, just the ones that they make you read in english class, that are supposed to mean something more than they say. I would just read those and see no further than the text if I was given them without a question implying it symbolizes something.
    So yeah, I just dont read WHAT?! books.
    But you wouldn't know if it would be a 'WHAT?' book unless you read it, would you?

ReputationRep:
    The Handmaid's tale. Because the ending was just so... well... it was just poor. It reminded me of a children's book where it all goes normally and then the final sentence is "BUT IT WAS ALL A DREAM!!!11!"

ReputationRep:
    Any philosophy reading... my head is just not wired for that stuff!

Also started read a book called The Ninth Life of Louis Drax, had to stop halfway because there was so much "What?!", and I never leave a book unfinished once I've started!

ReputationRep:
    Cupcakes and kalashnikovs. All about womens' journalism full of articles about spring cleaning and other *******s

ReputationRep:
    Flicking to the end of Jane Eyre to find - "I married him, reader."

WHAT!?

ReputationRep:
    The Fall (La Chute)- Albert Camus

I think I understand it...then I don't...

I understood and loved L'étranger but The Fall is so complicated, and more disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    [img]http://www.danceswithferrets.org/meeblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/******.jpg[/img]

ReputationRep:
    Beckett - Malone Dies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Althusser - bit of a jargon spouting fraud *allegedly*... he also strangled his wife to death *fact*

His is a useful name to remember - you can cite him as supporting just about any opinion on anything without fear of anyone contradicting you.
    ---
    Novels - Something Happened by Joe Heller... as far as I could tell reading it nothing actually did but the expectation, and that I'd enjoyed Catch 22, kept me going beyond the point where I would normally have given up.
    I'm reading catch 22 now. I read it before I go to sleep most often and I quite often get to the end of a page and think "WTH? I know thats kinda the point of it, but it still gives me a total headfook every now and then

ReputationRep:
    Most books written by academics just because I'm thinking, why take up a whole chapter talking about something which could be easily summarised in one paragraph?!

Also, Finnegans Wake. That's a real 'What?!' book. It makes my head hurt kind of what.

ReputationRep:
    Lanark by Alasdair Gray. I had to read it for Advanced Higher English and I honestly have no idea what happened in the story. One of the most confusing books I've read by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Yes Yes Yes

being a translation, and unfinished probably didn't help ... but i was just so :nothing: towards the book afterwards. also took an absolute time to read as well, even though the book is short-ish.
    I know! Gods, I forced myself to finish that book, it was so dense. Just utterly melted my brain. I have no intention of reading it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty142)
    Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man-James Joyce

I have never found a book as hard for me to read as this one. Probably didn't help that I really don't like it either.
    WTF is up with that book! I had do read it in one of my lit. modules. I hate modernisim with a passion.

However it was NOTHING compared to E.E.Cummings poetry. That completely got me.. I had no idea what was going on in half the poems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    See Spot Run ****ed me over.
    Nice ass!

Is he yours?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.