Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The performance of the coalition government thus far Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Don't quote political buzzwords as if they have any meaning.

Its been predicted the 50% tax rate will lead to a lower amount of revenue. The higher the tax band the higher he incentive to avoid it
    That's all very possible but the predictions are just wild stabs in the dark and are not necessarily going to come to fruition. I have no doubt that those who have predicted this (Institute of Directors, Ernst & Young etc) are indeed knowledgeable on the subject but biased.

Increase in taxes for those more than capable of affording it is a perfectly reasonable demand to make if the country has any hope of sorting out the financial mess. Of course, in the balance of fairness, the cuts will have to continue but I'd hardly agree with your hyperbole that a tax increase would cripple them.

In my opinion any form of tax avoidance/evasion would be illegal and if high earners and company owners don't pay tax they shouldn't be allowed to live here and trade here.

Governments need to be a lot stricter with tax law, they're deliberately soft with large corporations as they're scared of losing potential tax, I think that's a terrible indictment that an elected government is scared of a private enterprise.

In my view, we've all got to pay our way, just because they have the financial and legal ability to avoid paying tax doesn't mean it's morally right.

[/soapbox]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Labour set up the browne review. They would have increased fees aswell.
    You've got a cristal ball now? Its hard to say for one thing the Browne would have said as the conservatives/Liberals changed brownes terms of reference when they first came in. On the other hand Labour may well have not had a majority if they'd tried it judging by the size of the rebellion the last time tuition fees came up.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that VAT disproportionately effects the poor is laughable. Read up on what Richard Chote head of the OBR has to say about it if you're interested.
    Im not saying that the VAT on its own is affecting the working class. Its the whole student fee, EMA cuts etc on top of VAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    VAT needs to go up even Alastair Darling said it needs to go to 20% now stop whining about it. ITs not going to makem uch difference to you what so ever...what are you going to do stop buying things. Also its good for people like us who own their own business because now we charge more so get more money and in our field of work people need it so they can't live without. When VAT was lowered to 15% it made no difference so when it rises to 20% its going to make no difference.
    Of course a rise to 20% is going to make a difference. VAT is on most thinks (including a few groups of foods) and will lower people's disposable income at a time when inflation is high and the job market is bleak.

ReputationRep:
    All he has done so far is wave the red flag of fiscal contraction. Oh and he's been to India and China.

ReputationRep:
    I think where it really matters - the economy - its too early to say, although the signs are good. The legacy of this government will basically be the impact, or lack thereof, of the cuts - whichever way it goes.

If the cuts/reforms don't depress the economy/people too much, they'll have done well. If they do, they'll have done badly. I would say most other things are peripheral.

However, I personally agree with most of what they have done so far, although with a few exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Im not saying that the VAT on its own is affecting the working class. Its the whole student fee, EMA cuts etc on top of VAT.
    The poorest will recieve up to two years free tuition and EMA is to be replaced not scrapped by a better targeted alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    You've got a cristal ball now? Its hard to say for one thing the Browne would have said as the conservatives/Liberals changed brownes terms of reference when they first came in. On the other hand Labour may well have not had a majority if they'd tried it judging by the size of the rebellion the last time tuition fees came up.
    That's why they set up browne to report after the election, so that they probably wouldn't be faced with the predicament the coalition finds itself in.

ReputationRep:
    That's why they set up browne to report after the election, so that they probably wouldn't be faced with the predicament the coalition finds itself in.
    Certainly they where trying to avoid the issue, which deeply divides the party, becoming some sort of political football during the election as that would have been very difficult for all 3 parties (As they're all realtively split on the issue.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.