Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR G492 Jan 2011 Advance Notice Article Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batman8929)
    yeah i did think there were some mistakes such as when working out the %uncertanity of h, they wrote 0.007/1.3x100.....but i think it should have been 0.13 instead of 1.3.......

Yehh in 5a he used 0.5 for h instead of 0.05.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibond07)
    Here's one that I'm prettty sure will come up: 'A larger value of the slit separation d reduces the percentage uncertainty in this measurment but makes it harder to measure the fringe seperation x'.

1.) Why is this?
    why?...i said that since dsin0=lambda....a larger value of d will mean a reduced sin0 since lambda is fixed and sin0 x L= x, therefore x will become smaller, and hence harder to measure...am i right? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    What did you all think?
    I didnt like it that much

ReputationRep:
    That paper was weird.
    I can't tell if I did better than the summer.

I think sec A was mainly ok apart from the stone one? v= 9.32 or something.

Section B was ok for the first 2 then totally hated the phasor and tension question ack.

Section C was mediocre, got the angle bit wrong i think blergh uck.

All in all that paper was harder than the summer now I look back at it. sickening.

ReputationRep:
    I thought section A was tougher than normal, and B was again very tough, especially the part about the phasor's. Section C I found OK, the part about Tycho Brahe seemed straight forward.
    Mainly though it was a nasty exam, It seemed much worse then the mocks I did beforehand.

At my college only 3 people took the exam, I'm guessing that is similar across the whole of the country, so chin up, If less people are taking it, and the majority found it harder then normal, the mark scheme is more likely to drop. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    good to know it wasnt just me who found it bad!

ReputationRep:
    yeah there was 4 of us took it, and the tanoy went off during our exam which also started 10 minutes late. So apparently we can pick up a couple of marks or something xD

ReputationRep:
    That was a pretty hard paper, I thought it was about the same difficulty as last year's, maybe harder. I got a B last year, hoping for an A now.

What did you guys say for the question about the accelerating force in the bowstring and what affects it?

ReputationRep:
    How'd everyone find it?

ReputationRep:
    made some **** up about the angle clearly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    That was a hard paper, had trouble with a few questions. :/

ReputationRep:
    I can never tell how physics exams go... but i had to leave out 4 marks... i didnt understand the one where they had a graph and they said to draw a curve on it... :s reallly confused me

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think much to that paper at all.
    Apart from the apparent lack of OCR wanting us to prove a sound knowledge of maths (I don't recall having to do much mathematical 'thinking'!), I thought there were wayyyyyyy too many 'wordy' questions for my liking.
    I also got stuck trying to figure out what they were asking for with a few! e.g.: Section C (I think...), Double slits bit- 'Show how sin(theta)=x/L is a good approximation for small angles, using lambda=dx/l.' Now that sounds simple, but I couldn't get my head around it for the life of me! :/

A few others I got stuck on that I can't quite remember (terrible short-term memory...).

You guys care to share the questions you thought were a bit tricky?

(Original post by Tsatska)
    That was a pretty hard paper, I thought it was about the same difficulty as last year's, maybe harder. I got a B last year, hoping for an A now.

What did you guys say for the question about the accelerating force in the bowstring and what affects it?
    I honestly wasn't sure what that was asking for.
    First I started off talking about potential to kinetic energy, then (not thinking that was right...) went on to talk about the actual bow accelerating forward and contributing more energy.
    Pfft.

I didn't enjoy that.

ReputationRep:
    The good approximation bit I did theta = arcsin ( the values they gave you) which gave like 0.57 degrees showing it was a good approximation for small values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkatron)
    The good approximation bit I did theta = arcsin ( the values they gave you) which gave like 0.57 degrees showing it was a good approximation for small values.
    Fudge. Seriously?

I did that, thought it was too obvious, then crossed it out. >.>

Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsatska)

That question I'm not too sure about, I said initially it starts with 140N of Force, and then as it accelerates as air resistance is proportional to (velocity)squared, as the bow accelerated, the air resistance and drag forces increased and subsequently the resultant accelerating force is 85N. I'm not too sure though, looking back I don't know if I even answered the question correctly!

The question I found difficult was the delta x = 1/3 lambda, show that lambda = b sin theta. I simply couldn't remember how to show it!

ReputationRep:
    Confused as to what motives OCR have behind the exams on this course. There always seems to be more words than maths.

Did the exam just seem to merge into one for anyone else? No idea when Section A ended and Section B started, and only realised I was on Section C when I saw the little image of Brahe's quadrant. Maybe I was just unobservant.

What confused me most, is that there was a 3 mark question in the uncertainty bit, and all I could make out from the question was to write the values to a few significant figures. Was that literally all you had to do, or am I an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    The question that confused me although it seemed like it should have been straight forward was the question about transmitter and to calculate the minimum separation. I believe this was in section A part where you first had to show wavelength was 300m. But i didnt know how to calculate the separation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinayMan)
    The question I found difficult was the delta x = 1/3 lambda, show that lambda = b sin theta. I simply couldn't remember how to show it!
    I wasn't entirely sure for this question either, but I guessed as b was 1/3 for each wavelength (slit separation) you just combined the equations and multiplied through by 3, could be entirely wrong though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swindan)

What confused me most, is that there was a 3 mark question in the uncertainty bit, and all I could make out from the question was to write the values to a few significant figures. Was that literally all you had to do, or am I an idiot?
    I feel exactly the same. Just seemed like a load of random non-sense that was just asking for you to 'Explain...'...'Explain...' etc.

I also just thought that was what the question wanted...after about 5 minutes sat there thinking 'Okay...what am I supposed to be calculating again?!'

But I did it. How many sig. figs did you use?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.